The "critique my shot" thread

ALXBWSCREW

Car(s)
Fiat Barchetta, Alfa Romeo 156, Opel Zafira
Well i've been thinking for a long time if I should or not make this thread and now I'm bringing it out. Some of us might want a bit more than just posting their shots in the lens flair thread so now's the new way. It's just like lens thread so 1 shot/day/person but unlike lens flair you have to also post your exif data on you shot and ask what kind of critique would you like to recieve on your photo (lighting, background, composition, etc). You can also just ask the other guys what's wrong/right if you're not sure witch area you want to know about. So one guy posts a photo and the next man to post in the thread must critique the shot above. Only after a photo has recieved minimum 1 critique can another guy post another photo.
So, I'm first with this
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/al/alxbwscrew/2009/11/07/right_side.jpg
Exif: ExposureTime : 1/100Sec FNumber : F5,6 ISOSpeedRatings : 100 ExposureBiasValue : EV1,0 LightSource : Cloudy Flash : Not fired FocalLength : 55,00(mm)

Thread: Fairly simple theory, maybe bit too stringent rules? Anyway - good idea!

Photo: Good colours (if a bit red), but too much going on - too many leaves. Lower F number may have improved it (although I assume that you are using a kit lens at 55mm, so can't go any lower than that).

Re: thread

Good idea. Not sure about the one-shot-a-day rule. How about this:

1. Only one photo for critique allowed per post/reply
2. You must wait to post again until n photo critique requests from others (n = ?)
3. n resets at the end of each day
4. A photo must be critiqued before another person is allowed to post (as you already said)

This way the thread doesn't get jammed up by people posting 20 photos in a row and everyone gets their chance to post. What should we start n with? 5? 10?

Re: photo

Definitely nice colours, but it's ... busy. I know I'm looking at leaves, but the photo doesn't "say" anything to me.

^

So more simply it's, you can only post one photo for critique at a time and there must be a gap of 'n' critique posts before someone posts a new photo for critique

Re: thread

Good idea. Not sure about the one-shot-a-day rule. How about this:

1. Only one photo for critique allowed per post/reply
2. You must wait to post again until n photo critique requests from others (n = ?)
3. n resets at the end of each day
4. A photo must be critiqued before another person is allowed to post (as you already said)

This way the thread doesn't get jammed up by people posting 20 photos in a row and everyone gets their chance to post. What should we start n with? 5? 10?

Re: photo

Definitely nice colours, but it's ... busy. I know I'm looking at leaves, but the photo doesn't "say" anything to me.
It's fine with me. What I meant with the one shot/day rule was that 1 person is allowed to request critique on just 1 photo per day. Just like lens flair. So if you already recieved critique you're not allowed to post until the other day.

Last edited:
ALXBWSCREW's photo: Color of the leaves is great, but the blue in the background seems almost unrealistically vibrant... also i'm not sure whats up with the highlighted outlines of the leaves in the background in the upper left hand corner.

I'll give it a go...

706897646_sE8U2-XL.jpg

ISO 100, 35mm, f/9.0, 1/125 sec.---Flash not fired

^ It's quite nice but somehow the composition does not work - I don't really know how to make it work since it's quite difficult (at least for me) do photograph guitars. Other than that the only niggle I have is the plain white backgound witch somehow upsets the brown in the close-up.

Just wondering if anyone thinks this looks like HDR raep:

https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ep/epp_b/2009/11/10/2009-11-09_Little_Bridge_by_the_Rocks.jpg

I'm trying to convince myself that the glow is from the sunset, but I'm having a hard time believing myself since the glow follows the contours of the bridge :p

BTW, the lighting on the bridge is NOT HDR, this was a minute-long exposure, during which I went to the sides of the bridge and popped my speedlight a few times.

Last edited:
IMO the glow looks much more natural then the HDR halo effect... still the super vivid colors make it seem overproccessed even if it isn't.

I bumped the saturation a bit, but the colours are mostly from post-sunset light. The bridge, having been flashed (remember, flash has the same colour temperature as sunlight) is a warmer tone because I was using "shady" white balance.

Last edited:
^put up the original shot in here that will help a lot to determine if it's raep or not. anyway, why are you using d-lighting? I think it's rubbish so I never use it

well it does bring out the halo more that I would like it to bring (emphasis on the word I), and therefore it ruins it a bit.

me like.... somehow with those stones the lack of colour in the sky suits it nicely..

4099471326_8b93051c52_b.jpg

I'll throw my leaf into the ring.

for epp_b's pic - definetely not raep in my book but you'll have to explain that to people just how you did on this forum so that'll be a problem :lol:

(WARNING: NON-Photogropher / person who knows anything about photography comments below)

That's a really nice picture... It just seems... well-balanced, somehow.
Sometimes, the best feedback is from those with a fresh mind, unfettered by photographic knowledge ... so, thank-you :)

for epp_b's pic - definetely not raep in my book but you'll have to explain that to people just how you did on this forum so that'll be a problem
Indeed, which is why I didn't put it on my website. If you have to explain it, it's failed.