The "critique my shot" thread

Really keen to hear what you guys say about this one I posted in Lens Flair a few days back:

qyza1f.jpg

Didn't have much of a choice :lol: It was extremely dark and I spent most of the night shooting at max iso @ f/1.8 @ 1/50-1/60 :mad: A lot of pictures were not perfectly focused, even the few that I shot with flash because it still had to focus in the dark.

I can't remember what it's called, but do you have the pre-flash flash function, y'know, it flashes a couple of times quickly for the AF before taking the shot?

I'd say either focus on his face or have his face much further out of focus. Either works, but as it is right now, my eyes don't know where to look. Also, on-camera flash ... ew.

Agreed.

But I've used on camera flash a lot. Maybe people cringe when they see my pics, but sometime you have to make use of what you've got.

Waddaya think? Too cliche?

I like it, but one thing bothers me - the sky gets lighter towards the right as if the sun is over there but the container gets darker. I think it's your vignette?

Really keen to hear what you guys say about this one I posted in Lens Flair a few days back
Great B&W, I like the composition and everything!
My turn. I think we'll scrap the exif rule as no one seems to post it.
4082614514_26fa679f84_o.jpg

what is happening at the upper left corner? im meaning where does that stark transition come from?

I really like it.

Where/what is that?

The Bullet Tower inside Melbourne Central Shopping Complex in the CBD. I took this shot a year ago, but in SLR form. It got sold for $20 at the art show along with another SLR shot.

&ALXBWSCREW, I like the colours of the composition, but I feel the leaves were a bit over constrasted. Other than that, nice shot.

If you cropped it so you can just see the sky and the pole, it would be fine. It's just that there's too much background matter lingering on the bottom. Nice sky and concept though.

I like the symmetry of whatever that is, and I think you could definitely get a great shot at this location but the pole in the center is a fairly boring and not very well defined focal point due to the narrow aperture that makes the viewer focus on the incredibly boring background, also the highlights in the cloud in the lower left corner of the sky and 1/4 of the way up the center pole on the right side look blown out. This probably sounds dumb and i'm not sure how to explain it but I also dislike images that are angled upward to show a high up object/sky that are composed to look like the bottom of the image is at a straight/direct angle for a sort of phony wide angle shot.

Last edited:
IMG_9257.jpg

Camera in Point and Shoot Mode-ish.

EXIF:
Exif IFD0

* Camera Make = Canon
* Camera Model = Canon EOS 50D
* X-Resolution = 240/1 ===> 240
* Y-Resolution = 240/1 ===> 240
* X/Y-Resolution Unit = inch (2)
* Last Modified Date/Time = 2009:11:20 19:58:30
* Artist = Oliver Taylor
* Copyright Owner = Copyright: Oliver Taylor
Exif Sub IFD

* Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/250 second ===> 0.004 second
* Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 56/10 ===> ?/5.6
* Exposure Program = manual control (1)
* ISO Speed Ratings = 400
* Exif Version = 0221
* Original Date/Time = 2009:11:20 18:50:02
* Digitization Date/Time = 2009:11:20 18:50:02
* Shutter Speed Value (APEX) = 7965784/1000000
Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/250 second
* Aperture Value (APEX) = 4970854/1000000
Aperture = ?/5.6
* Exposure Bias (EV) = 0/1 ===> 0
* Max Aperture Value (APEX) = 3/1 ===> 3
Max Aperture = ?/2.83
* Metering Mode = partial (6)
* Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode
* Focal Length = 70/1 mm ===> 70 mm
* Original Subsecond Time = 96
* Digitized Subsecond Time = 96
* Focal Plane X-Resolution = 4752000/894 ===> 5315.44
* Focal Plane Y-Resolution = 3168000/597 ===> 5306.53
* Focal Plane X/Y-Resolution Unit = inch (2)
* Custom Rendered = normal process (0)
* Exposure Mode = manual exposure (1)
* White Balance = auto (0)
* Scene Capture Type = standard (0)

Hi folks,

I decided to contribute here because I'm not entirely sure about this shot in special, besides being more a hobby-shooter than everything else. ;)

I think technically it's not far from perfect, but composition wise, what would you do differently?

Exif (in German only):
Canon EOS 450D
Blenden?ffnungswert: 6
Farbraum: Nicht kalibriert
Selbst gerendert: Normaler Prozess
Zeitpunkt Digitalisierung: 2009:07:28 15:47:09
Zeitpunkt Aufnahme: 2009:07:28 15:47:09
Exif-Version: 2.2.1
Belichtungskorrektur: -0.3333333
Belichtungsmodus: Auto-Belichtung
Belichtungsprogramm: Normales Programm
Belichtungszeit: 1 / 125
Blitz: Blitz nicht ausgel?st, Modus ?Erzwungener Blitz?
FlashPix-Version: 1.0
Blendenwert: 8
Brennweite: 55
Einheit f?r die Bildebenen-Aufl?sung: Zoll
Bildebenen-Aufl?sung in X: 4865.604
Bildebenen-Aufl?sung in Y: 4876.712
ISO-Empfindlichkeit: 200
Messmethode: Muster
Pixel X-Abmessung: 1280
Pixel Y-Abmessung: 853
Szenenmodus: Standard
Verschlussgeschwindigkeit: 7
Zeit (< 1 Sek): 02
Zeit (< 1 Sek), digitalisiert: 02
Zeit (< 1 Sek), original: 02
Wei?abgleich: Manueller Wei?abgleich

Attachments

• IMG_8908 edit.jpg
    IMG_8908 edit.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
^you have to wait for the guy that posted above you to recieve minimum 1 feedback, then it's your turn.

^you have to wait for the guy that posted above you to recieve minimum 1 feedback, then it's your turn.

Aaaaah, sorry, it wasn't my intention to interfere.

Well, to comment the portrait: I quite like it, but I would crop the surrounding a bit to emphasise the guys head. I only think his skin looks a bit flat and could need a bit more depth ... how do you think about that?

Last edited:
Nice idea, but the background is distracting.

If you cropped it so you can just see the sky and the pole, it would be fine. It's just that there's too much background matter lingering on the bottom. Nice sky and concept though.

I like the symmetry of whatever that is, and I think you could definitely get a great shot at this location but the pole in the center is a fairly boring and not very well defined focal point due to the narrow aperture that makes the viewer focus on the incredibly boring background, also the highlights in the cloud in the lower left corner of the sky and 1/4 of the way up the center pole on the right side look blown out. This probably sounds dumb and i'm not sure how to explain it but I also dislike images that are angled upward to show a high up object/sky that are composed to look like the bottom of the image is at a straight/direct angle for a sort of phony wide angle shot.

Thanks all for your wonderful feedback. That's actually a pedestrian bridge at the Scripps Institute of Oceanography. The giant pole is the pillar structure which is the foundation for the bridge, and the long tubes/cables are of course the support system.

Behind me (in that shot) is the ocean. If this background is a bit too distracting (and I can certainly see what you guys mean by that), then I can look for one with the sea (possibly less distracting). I'm thinking I did take a picture of it from that angle, but I'll have to get home and see since I don't have the pix here at work. If not I might just head over today during a sunset or something and grab it from that end.

Thanks again!

Any more criticism?
It's a great shot, there is a whole lot of detail and a clear emphasis on the man's face, there really isn't anything wrong with it other then some lost detail from the flash blowing out the face. This is about as good a result as anyone could expect from a candid portrait in "point and shoot mode", but there isn't anything particularly special about it, while it may be perfectly executed, it's just a face against a dark flat background.

I wish i had some interesting new material but I haven't had a chance to take any pictures lately... Still, i am very interested in reading critique on photos I have recently posted in lens flair so here goes...

685349643_3ja2t-XL.jpg

Photos from October... London Expo at ExCEL.

4043569486_b5b60f0273.jpg

Camera: Olympus E-500
Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture: f/4.0
ISO Speed: 100

Reactions: LP