The Definitive Home-Made Burger Recipe

Cheap mince meat has ice in it so that it can be bulked out even further. That's the only reason to use it.

I use The America's Test Kitchen burger recipe as a basis and then just mess with the seasonings. Personally i go a little heavier on the garlic and i add a little bit of bacon fat for some added smokiness. The whole make a paste from bread and whole milk thing is pure genius it makes the burgers super tender and very juicy never dry.

I won?t try to claim that this is the ultimate burger or anything, but this is my personal take on this american classic ... and I like it :)

http://img268.imageshack.**/img268/245/burger2w.jpg

I basically use a big flat meatball (Frikadeller). So minced meat (not too fine, a bit more rough is better), onion, breadcrumps, egg and spices rather than just meat.
Without a grill in winter, I nasically pan-fry both sides of the frikadeller shortly and then but it into the oven untill it?s done (5-10min), keeps it pretty juicy.
When taking the picture, the frikadeller was about 180g. Rather than terrible Burger-buns or regular buns, I use Pita-buns ... after toasting, they don?t get soaked by all the tasty juice and stay nice and crunshy for a lot longer that the other stuff.
Fried onions ans toppings are a must, as are differend kinds of sauces like barbeque or remoulade. And your slice of cheese of course that tries to mask the few salat-leaves that have sneaked into this feast of fat and sugar ...

:)

Last edited:
^ :drool:

As for seasonings, I put in a lot of Worcestershire sauce and cumin to give it a little kick. Seasoned salt and ketchup balance that out pretty nicely. I've been grilling it on my roommate's George Foreman, but they came out rather dry. I have one more patty left that's been in my freezer for a few weeks now, I might try the pan/oven combination with that.

I love to add grilled mushrooms and bacon as well. Made my own "McDonald's Secret Sauce" with ketchup, mayo and pickle/onion relish. Came out pretty well, too. It's as simple as that.

Brits notice that foreigners always say "Worcestershire sauce"?

Crumble in 1 Bovril cube, 80 - 20 lean to fat beef, a little onion very finely chopped (may be left out) shaped and pressed and left in the fridge for 4 hours. For 1 bovril cube select enough mince to make 6 - 8 small or 4 - 6 big patties. Fridge not too cold and cover with kitchen paper whilst in fridge.

The ones that taste best to me is either seasoned it with Adobo or Lowry's seasoning salt, I also buy a high quality 80/20 at the supermercado. I have found that supermercados (supermarkets that are marketed to people from Central America) have a very high quality of fresh meat, and a butcher who actually takes their job with pride.

Speaking of "special sauce" when I was a kid I always wanted to go to McDonalds but being that my parents were not exactly rich, combined with a skinflint father (you know the dad from the TV show "Everybody Hates Chris?" Yeah, that is my father. TO A TEE.) eating out was a rarity.
My mother had her own version of a Big Mac, using thousand island dressing, and to this day a Big Mac comes nowhere close to the taste. I have even tried to replicate it without success; She must have used mom magic, as mothers are awesome like that. :)

The temperature is in the 50s here so it's time to grill. Wednesday night I'm going to grind some beef, add some ground bacon to the beef (first time trying that), and I'm going to grill it....then I'm going to eat it.

Mine is:

1/2 pound 80/20 ground beef
Stubbs BBQ spice rub
Tabasco smoke jalapeno

Topped with:
Pepperjack cheese
Honey Mustard

All on a toasted white bun, serve with dill pickle spear.

I like to put in minced onions, garlic salt and Worcestershire, preferably in a 50/50 ground beef/ground pork mix. But I rarely get the ground pork. Serve that up with a slice of ham, some bacon, a fried egg and cheese on an oversized english muffin... Great hangover food.

i use ground sirloin mixed with ground pork tenderloin to keep them juicy(you would never know there was pork in it) and then i add garlic pepper and very small diced onion then roll them quick in some flour/ground chipolte/cumin/chili powder...and then the buns are coated in a garlic powder/butter/spicy tobasco marinade and then toasted till crisp

What does ultra-lean pork do to juicyness apart from making the whole burger a lot more expensive? Fat is the thing you need to add for juicyness.

I like my burgers simply made with lots of plain beef mince, salt, pepper and worchestersauce. Cooked down onion/garlic mixed in is quite nice aswell.

Last edited: