The Diesel discussion thread

Yes it's a lovely sound, it's a shame about the microphone on that camera though. I personally like the noise of the older Isuzu-units that Opel used. They still have the option of Izusu engines in the new Astra but it's been updated and doesnt sound so much/nice anymore.

My mom has the same engine in her Combo, and I have to agree, it sounds good. And i love the sound of it when you're in 5th gear at low rpm and just floor it:D
But it has NO power when its cold. Good car for learners tough, you don't stall in your first 'real' driving lesson then.

i realy don't understand your craving for diesel engines

i guess it's just a matter of gras being greener on the other side...

My mom has the same engine in her Combo, and I have to agree, it sounds good. And i love the sound of it when you're in 5th gear at low rpm and just floor it:D
But it has NO power when its cold. Good car for learners tough, you don't stall in your first 'real' driving lesson then.

My dad used to have an Astra H with that engine, it was almost impossible to stall that engine :p
I liked it too, and it wasn't godawful with 130HP.

i realy don't understand your craving for diesel engines

i guess it's just a matter of gras being greener on the other side...

Some people are looking at them as a way to get decent fuel economy while having decent power. We don't get the weaker diesels here any more.

On the other hand, people like me are looking at the American turbodiesel trucks and their ridiculously high power outputs - and the ability to run them on WVO. I plan to have mine (when I get one this year) set up to run about 500+ hp and 800+ lb ft of torque whilst running on the oil from the local diner. :) Which will probably be both the greenest car on the forum and far and away the most powerful. :)

My dad used to have an Astra H with that engine, it was almost impossible to stall that engine :p
I liked it too, and it wasn't godawful with 130HP.

I think i was mistaken, ours has the 1.2 with 80HP you can believe me, its weak. But i know someone with the 1.7 in the Combo and that is a strong engine, even with a ton of metal in the back.

meanwhile:
btw: it has never let us down in the last 5 years, nor has the car itself. Also it only uses 5l/100km or 45mpg... well it has to with that amount of power

500+ hp and 800+ lb ft of torque

Awesome. :cool:

Edit: come to think of it, the benz has nearly double the displacement and double the HP. Also it uses ~ 10l/100km...
is it the opels fault or is it just mercedes being ten years ahead of their time again? :hmm:

Last edited:
Double consumption for double the potential power is not ahead of its time :no:

I was just thinking if fuel consumption is mainly caused by how much displacement an engine has... but i forgot the gearbox and stuff like that

ah screw it as long as it gets me from A to B i'm happy :p

I was just thinking if fuel consumption is mainly caused by how much displacement an engine has... but i forgot the gearbox and stuff like that

ah screw it as long as it gets me from A to B i'm happy :p

:no: Larger displacement is related to fuel economy, but twice the capacity will not use twice the fuel. Both engines would have to produce similar amounts of power in every day driving, so one using twice as much fuel to do the same thing is a bad sign.

:no: Larger displacement is related to fuel economy, but twice the capacity will not use twice the fuel. Both engines would have to produce similar amounts of power in every day driving, so one using twice as much fuel to do the same thing is a bad sign.

My 2.2l turbodiesel gets almost the same consumption figures as my carpool buddy's 1.4l turbodiesel, with similar driving. It has twice the power (143ps/315Nm vs 70ps/160Nm) the 1.4 has...

Except for the fact that they didn't. They got to about 150K, as I recall, and then usually committed suicide by necessitating repairs that cost more than the car did new. This after not exactly being low maintenance for their prior lifespan. Weren't very good, cost a lot to maintain, were annoyingly loud and did much to hasten the demise of diesel as a viable mainstream option in US market cars.

I have one of those with 500k and it runs like new, which is loud, noisy and smokey. 52HP is a bit unnerving on highway on ramps, but the whole 800km to a tank is great.

I have one of those with 500k and it runs like new, which is loud, noisy and smokey. 52HP is a bit unnerving on highway on ramps, but the whole 800km to a tank is great.

You must have the only one of those that was properly made because even in Arizona, where they couldn't rust, they're all long gone now.

You must have the only one of those that was properly made because even in Arizona, where they couldn't rust, they're all long gone now.

nope, one of the awfully made westmoreland PA ones. so the glues and plastics certainly don't last. hence the lack of headliner and broken reverse light lenses. just shows that regular maintenance of everything makes the car last longer.

2011 Ford Superduty, because GM had a more powerful engine last year (2011 horsepower and torque figures remain unchanged for the Silverado 3500).

the Ford: 800 lb/ft at 1600 rpm, lol- I will be interested to see in a year or so how their transmissions hold up to that. My truck is rated at 350/650 (hp/tq) and they are kinda known for blowing up transmissions (or head gaskets) if you mod it much over stock output. I can tell you though, when you put your foot it in, that thing moves way faster than you would think a truck that big ought to, haha.

American Power:

The GM and Ford are comically fast for factory fresh large diesel trucks.

The current Super Duty chassis dates all the way back to 1998, and parts of it go back even further. About time something caught up.

On the other hand, the GM uses electric power steering, which will probably blow up after not very long. :p The Duramax engines have not been all that reliable; their transmissions have also been problematic of late as well.

And with that all said, a new chassis for the Super Duty is probably coming by 2013 as a 2014 model, if not even a bit earlier.

Dear Fiat: Call Cummins. Tell them to either turn up the wick or ship the rumored 7+L version.

Last edited:
I might be a bit biased, but I like Toyota's D-4D engine sounds.

Also, did we have a "how does your car sound" thread anywhere? It's relevant to my interests :p

Last edited:
Hi,
I think in this forum diesel engine lovers are gathered around. No one is taking the side of petrol engines and giving arguments for its benefits.

That's because this is the diesel thread. Diesel is by far the less preferred fuel on this forum and is often referred to as diseasel elsewhere. No need for petrol-boosters here.