The Drug War

I come to this thread to read the stories posted. I don't have a lot to say considering that I agree with your premise about the drug war. I think that there was a chance to make headway on the issue in California but that fell through. For a lot of Americans, drugs are not a part of every day life and therefore it isn't a big issue.

I think that POSH people are scared that if the hoi polloi were allowed to make informed decisions no one would ever go to work but just have a chemical induced blast.

Not sure if these proposals were ever discussed here before....

"Dutch government to ban tourists from cannabis shops"

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) ? The Dutch government on Friday said it would start banning tourists from buying cannabis from "coffee shops" and impose restrictions on Dutch customers by the end of the year.
The Netherlands is well known for having one of Europe's most liberal soft drug policies that has made its cannabis shops a popular tourist attraction, particularly in Amsterdam.
Backed by the far-right party of anti-immigrant politician Geert Wilders, the coalition government that came into power last year announced plans to curb drug tourism as part of a nationwide program to promote health and fight crime.
"In order to tackle the nuisance and criminality associated with coffee shops and drug trafficking, the open-door policy of coffee shops will end," the Dutch health and justice ministers wrote in a letter to the country's parliament on Friday.
Under the new rules, only Dutch residents will be able to sign up as members of cannabis shops.
Dutch customers will have to sign up for at least a year's membership and each shop would be expected to have only up to 1,500 members, a justice ministry spokesman said.
The policy will roll out in the southern provinces of Limburg, Noord Brabant and Zeeland by the end of the year and the rest of the country next year, the spokesman said.
Amsterdam, home to about 220 coffee shops, is already in the process of closing some in its red light district. Some officials have resisted the measures, saying they will push the soft drug trade underground.
Some Dutch border towns including Maastricht and Terneuzen have already restricted the sale of marijuana to foreigners.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110527/wl_nm/us_dutch_cannabis

Not here as much as the weed smokers thread. But I really thought they dropped the idea. All that is going to happen is to drive everyone underground and make things less safe for everyone.

Meet Your New Pot Dealer: Big Pharma

Generic cannabis pills planned for wide use.

Despite the US government's staunch opposition to medical cannabis farms in Oakland and elsewhere, the feds have begun licensing a whole lot of large legal pot grows throughout the country. But this weed is not for cannabis dispensaries and their patients; it's for Big Pharma.

The Drug Enforcement Administration told Legalization Nation in an e-mail last week that 55 unnamed companies now hold licenses to grow cannabis in the United States, a fact that contradicts the widespread belief that there is only one legal pot farm in America, operated under the DEA for research purposes. It appears as if the upswing in federally approved pot farming is about feeding the need of pharmaceutical companies who want to produce a generic version of THC pill Marinol and at least one other cannabis-based pill for a wide variety of new uses.

In other words, if big corporations grow dope with the government and put it in a pill, it's medicine. But if you grow it at home or at a city-permitted pot farm and then put it in a vaporizer, it's a felony.

"They've got to realize, as a political issue, this is going to raise a red flag," said Kris Hermes, spokesperson for medical marijuana lobby Americans for Safe Access. "Here we have companies cultivating marijuana on a mass scale to produce generic Marinol. It's going to force the government to answer more questions than it wants to."

It's a weird piece of news that comes at a strange and contradictory time for the drug war. As US attorneys send threatening letters to states and cities, including Oakland, warning them against "commercial cultivation" of marijuana, the DEA is quietly handing out licenses for commercial cultivation.

The schism has its roots in the Seventies and the drug war under Richard Nixon. Nixon ignored his staff's recommendations and named weed the most dangerous drug in America under the Controlled Substances Act. Cannabis has remained a so-called "Schedule 1" controlled substance alongside heroin and roofies (GHB) because it has allegedly no medical use and high potential for abuse.

But the only people who still believe that are old church ladies. Hermes said in an interview that decades of scientific studies and FDA approvals have proved the drug's 3,000-year-old medical efficacy and safety. Today, sixteen states defy the Controlled Substances Act and allow qualified patients to access the drug.

While federal legalization efforts have repeatedly failed, drug law reformers have also targeted the scheduling of cannabis. Filed in 1972, the first rescheduling petition was denied by the DEA 22 years later, over the objections of their own administrative law judge Francis Young, who said in court records: "Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man."

In 2002, activists again tried to reschedule the cannabis plant. Today, they still await word on their petition, which is why they filed a writ of mandamus Monday in a Washington, DC circuit court that would order the DEA to rule on the matter. "The federal government's strategy has been delay, delay, delay," said Joe Elford, chief counsel for Americans for Safe Access in an e-mailed statement Monday. "The Obama administration's refusal to act on this petition is an irresponsible stalling tactic," added Steph Sherer, executive director of the organization, in the statement.

But while the government has stalled on rescheduling a cheap, patent-less pain remedy with fewer toxic side effects than Advil or Tylenol, regulators are proving to be more than happy to accommodate Big Pharma's efforts to muscle in on pot.

Cannabis' main psychoactive ingredient, THC, was isolated in the Seventies, and copied in a lab to produce the prescription synthetic Marinol. In 1999, the DEA then downgraded Marinol to a Schedule III drug like codeine, while the plant itself stayed a Schedule I.

However, Marinol never did that well with cancer patients, doctors say. Effects vary widely. With at least 66 different canabinoids in smoked pot, patients report THC-only Marinol doesn't provide the same relief.

But Marinol is about to get a big boost. Its patent has recently expired, and a review of clinical human trials show sixteen studies under way that, if successful, would broaden generic Marinol's uses considerably beyond treating nausea in cancer patients.

In addition, researchers are using THC, as well as the number-two cannabinoid, CBD, in studies to treat obsessive compulsive disorder, schizophrenia, fibromyalgia, PTSD, and even irritable bowel syndrome. That's because pot modulates a newly discovered yet primal-cell signaling pathway called "the endocannabinoid system," with special effects in the brain and the gut.

Drug companies want to bring generic THC and CBD to new markets, and have requested that the DEA allow them to grow pot and put organic THC and CBD in pills, according to DEA records posted online last fall. But that requires the DEA to move organic THC down from Schedule I, where it is now, to Schedule III, where synthetic THC Marinol currently is.

According to DEA records, drug companies have requested just such a rescheduling. It appears as if they're likely to get it at any time, green-lighting a new generation of prescription pot pill farms.

The federal government has already boosted its marijuana production capability by 900 percent to 4.5 million grams, according documents obtained by Americans for Safe Access. The most famous federally approved pot grower, Dr. Mahmoud El Sohly, has also testified he has begun legally selling THC extracted from his Mississippi pot farm to the drug company Mallinckrodt.

Big Pharma's move on the pot industry isn't some forty-year-old hippie conspiracy theory, said Paul Armentano, spokesman for the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. It's here.

I posted about this a while back, and now they (the DEA) has started letting them grow the same thing everyone else is, but they put a component of cannabis into a pill and it is ok. Color me a non believer.

Documents reveal inter-agency politicking that led to changes to marijuana entry in federal cancer treatment database

In March, The American Independent was first to report that the National Cancer Institute (NCI), a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), had acknowledged the medicinal benefits of marijuana in its online treatment database. Newly obtained documents showing the development of NCI?s summary over months of emails and text revisions now reveal not only how NCI database contributors arrived at their March 17 summary of marijuana?s medical uses, but also the politicking that went into quickly scrubbing that summary of information regarding the drug?s potential tumor-fighting effects.

Phil Mocek, a civil liberties activist affiliated with the Cannabis Defense Coalition, obtained the documents as a result of a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request he filed in March after reading The American Independent?s coverage of the NCI action. Mocek has made a portion of the hundreds of pages of at-times heated email exchanges and summary alterations available on MuckRock, a website devoted to FOIA requests and other government documents. The American Independent has obtained the remainder of the documents from Mocek.

As stated on NCI?s website, the treatment database is called the Physician Data Query (PDQ); the PDQ entry on marijuana (?cannabis and cannabinoids? are the terms NCI uses) is maintained by the Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) Editorial Board. The lead reviewer of the marijuana summary statement is CAM board member Donald Abrams, the director of Integrative Oncology at the University of California-San Francisco cancer center.

Abrams is an advocate of the use of marijuana in cancer treatment, and his desire to provide a complete picture of its medical application becomes clear early in the documents. As the CAM board discussed the upcoming PDQ entry back in December, board director Jeffrey White asked for Abrams? approval in including controversial results of an African study that some have claimed links marijuana use to cancer. Abrams came back with:

Gee, I would rather not. It flies in the face of all that is known. And it seems far-fetched to have to go to northwestern Africa to find a case control study. Could be a number of confounders! What?s wrong with the Tashkin study from LA[?] Or the Kaiser cohort? We could run the article by Tashkin and I will have a look myself, but I would strongly object to adding this and would prefer to delete the whole Cannabis section! I guess I feel pretty strongly about it!

The Tashkin study that Abrams refers to was a program funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), a separate National Institutes of Health entity that holds a controversial monopoly on government marijuana research. Lead researcher Donald Tashkin, of UCLA, was surprised to find in 2006 that not only does marijuana appear not to cause lung cancer, it actually seems to reduce the risk of developing cancer at all. Similarly, the ?Kaiser cohort? ? from Kaiser Permanente ? found that regular marijuana use doesn?t appear to have any correlation with increased risk of dying of just about anything (the one exception being deaths from AIDS, and even then, only in men ? a finding that is likely not causal). Meanwhile, the African study found that men who smoked both tobacco and marijuana massively increased their chances of contracting lung cancer, but that men who smoked only marijuana saw no such increase.

Ultimately, the authors included all three studies in the summary page, but they explain that even the African study appears only to confirm that smoking tobacco can cause lung cancer, but that marijuana use has no meaningful correlation to it.

And that seemed to be the end of it ? at least until March 17, when the finished summary went online. A week later, on March 24, The American Independent reported on the summary, and the attention that story received sent entities within the NIH scrambling.

Later that day, Susan Weiss, chief of the Office of Science Policy and Communications within the NIDA (the drug abuse and addiction institute that sponsored that Tashkin study, whose results shocked its backers) sent NCI officials an email saying that NIDA had just caught wind of the summary. She told them that the NIDA wanted the summary changed to acknowledge that the FDA hasn?t approved marijuana; to take away any implication that it was recommending prescribing marijuana; to highlight the addiction potential of marijuana; and to link to the NIDA?s own page on the adverse effects of marijuana.

The NCI balked at the last two (?I am unaware of any convincing evidence indicating that marijuana is addictive,? said communications officer Rick Manrow), but decided the first two were fair requests. Days later, as the CAM board grappled with how to cooperate with the NIDA?s requests without compromising its independence or editorial integrity, more federal agencies chimed in. Brooke Hardison, NCI media relations analyst:

[A press officer with the FDA] contacted me this morning because he has been getting calls from FDA staff, as well as at least one high-profile reporter, asking about NCI?s ?endorsement of medical marijuana.? I provided him with the background I had. He needs to provide information for staff at the FDA, and they are trying to figure out how to respond to this issue. I suggested that it might be good for him to have a conversation with those more closely involved in this issue.

Meanwhile, as attention to the story continued to grow, the NIDA continued to fret about how it was being received. On learning that Ethan Nadelmann, founder and executive director of anti-drug-war group the Drug Policy Alliance, had tweeted about the summary, the NIDA?s Weiss wrote to NCI, ?We will be contacting our colleagues at ONDCP just to give them a heads up about it.? She also wrote to NIDA colleagues, saying, ?We think that ONDCP needs to be informed.?

The ONDCP is the Office of National Drug Control Policy, better known as the office of the drug czar. Current drug czar Gil Kerlikowske has made no secret of his opposition to marijuana, which he has called a ?dangerous drug? lacking any evidence of medicinal benefits. It?s unclear whether the drug czar?s involvement in this issue went beyond a ?heads up? briefing from the NIDA.

At any event, the NCI did acquiesce to the NIDA?s demands by removing any implied support for prescription of marijuana ? noting that the FDA hasn?t approved marijuana as a prescription drug in any form ? and removing a reference to marijuana?s anti-tumor properties, much to the consternation of lead reviewer Abrams:

You know, the epidemiological data from Kaiser and Tashkin do possibly support an anti-tumor effect in humans. After reflecting for a few hours, I am not happy that NIDA has been able to impose their agenda on us. The text was vetted by the whole Board. I would ask that we [involve] the whole Editorial Board in the discussion before being bulldogged.

I am considering resigning from the Board if we allow politics to trump science!

In the end, all the relevant CAM board members agreed to the version that ultimately went up on March 29 and 30. That last day was when Mocek submitted his FOIA request and is accordingly the last day that appears in the records made available to him.

Interestingly, however, toward the end of the correspondence record, NCI and NIDA officials were in conversation about the latter institute providing further information on the adverse effects of marijuana so that the CAM board could take it into consideration during its May 6 board meeting. Several NCI and CAM officials said that any convincing evidence could spur larger changes to the entry.

NIDA prepared a list of talking points, including the claim that 9 percent of marijuana users become addicted to the drug and an undocumented claim that marijuana use leads to permanent cognitive impairment, in the hopes of compelling just such changes. Yet, May 6 came and went without any changes being made to the database.

See, they know it is an effective medicine, yet don't want the masses to know. They just want us to be forced to buy the pills they produce from components that are not as good as the whole.

I posted about this a while back, and now they (the DEA) has started letting them grow the same thing everyone else is, but they put a component of cannabis into a pill and it is ok. Color me a non believer.

See, they know it is an effective medicine, yet don't want the masses to know. They just want us to be forced to buy the pills they produce from components that are not as good as the whole.
Got to keep those good corporate campaign contributions flowing! I'm not surprised in the least that they're suppressing their own research that shoots most politician's own hypotheses full of holes. Any evidence supporting legalization of marijuana would make 40 years worth of politicians, in both parties, look like heels. Sad thing is that anyone with any measure of common sense who's ever gotten high and gotten drunk can tell you right off which one is more harmful.

More on the former marine shot and killed in Arizona.

Leading world politicians urge 'paradigm shift' on drugs policy

Former presidents, prime ministers, eminent economists and leading members of the business community will unite behind a call for a shift in global drug policy. The Global Commission on Drug Policy will host a press conference at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York to launch a report that describes the drug war as a failure and calls for a "paradigm shift" in approaching the issue.

Those backing the call include Ernesto Zedillo, former president of Mexico; George Papandreou, former prime minister of Greece; C?sar Gaviria, former president of Colombia; Kofi Annan, former UN secretary general; Fernando Henrique Cardoso, former president of Brazil; George Shultz, former US secretary of state; Javier Solana, former EU high representative; Virgin tycoon Richard Branson; and Paul Volcker, former chairman of the US Federal Reserve.

The commission will call for drug policy to move from being focused on criminal justice towards a public health approach. The global advocacy organisation Avaaz, which has nine million members, will present a petition in support of the commission's recommendations to UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon.

The commission is the most distinguished group to call for such far-reaching changes in the way society deals with illicit drugs. Danny Kushlick, head of external affairs at Transform, the drug policy foundation that has consultative status with the UN, said current events, such as the cartel-related violence in Mexico, President Barack Obama's comments that it was "perfectly legitimate" to question whether the war on drugs was working, and the wider global economic crisis, had given calls for a comprehensive overhaul of the world's drugs policy a fresh impetus.

Kushlick described this week's conference as hugely significant. "What we have here is the greatest collection thus far of ex-presidents and prime ministers calling very clearly for decriminalisation and experiments with legal regulation," he said. "It will be a watershed moment."

Transform believes the case for overhauling the prohibition approach to drugs is now overwhelming. It quotes Nicholas Green, chairman of the Bar Council, who observed that drug-related crime costs the UK economy around ?13bn a year. "Decriminalising personal use can have positive consequences; it can free up huge amounts of police resources, reduce crime and recidivism and improve public health," he said.

But while politicians no longer in office are vocal in calling for a change, incumbents appear less likely to back the idea of any radical shift in policy. In its 2002 review of UK drug policy, the parliamentary home affairs select committee, which included the prime minister, David Cameron, called for the government to "initiate a discussion" into the possibility of legalising and regulating drugs.

Despite the calls successive ministers have declined to endorse them.

Keeping Drugs Illegal Costs Society Dearly

A couple of weeks ago, as the legislature was debating two marijuana bills, a 29-year-old Oxford man named Cheyne Mazza pleaded guilty in federal court to involvement in a major marijuana-growing operation. He and his crew were nurturing more than 1,400 plants when the feds showed up in 2008.

His maximum sentence is life in prison and and a $4 million fine. There were several others involved, including a former Ansonia alderman. They'll be sentenced in August, and will likely spend hard time in Club Fed.

Mazza must be cursing his timing. If the state passes a medical marijuana law, it will need someone who can grow large amounts of marijuana, albeit in a secure indoor facility. Nonetheless, let's us examine what will be accomplished by putting Mazza and his cohorts in the crossbar motel.

The cost for a year in the federal snoozer is approaching $30,000 per annum. So the jail time for the bunch could run us, say, a half-million. Add the value of time it took to investigate and prosecute, and perhaps we're up to $1 million. Will it mean there'll be fewer drug dealers or less marijuana available? Of course not.

It may mean that more comes in from Mexico, which in a perverse way hurts the state's economy.

June 17 marks the 40th anniversary of President Richard's Nixon's introduction of the term "war on drugs." If this indeed was a war, it was the least successful in American history, and consider the competition. Over the four decades the country has spent in excess of $1 trillion and made tens of millions of arrests.

We now have one in every 100 American adults behind bars, many on drug-related charges, thanks to the massive criminal justice industrial complex. Drugs are cheaper, purer and more prevalent than they were in 1970. Blacks are arrested at a higher rate and imprisoned longer for drug crimes. The rate of addiction ? 1.3 percent of the population ? has stayed the same for about a century. Cities such as Hartford that are continually ravaged by the violence connected to illegal drug trade.

Is it perhaps time to change policy?

We kicked this around a couple of weeks ago at a Key Issues Forum co-sponsored by The Courant and Leadership Greater Hartford.

To deal with this subject, policy-makers need to perform the difficult mental gymnastic of holding two ideas at once: the health problems often attendant to drug use and the problems caused by criminal prohibition of drug use. Is there a way of dealing with the first issue without resorting to the second, which costs $60 billion a year, involves utterly insane policies such as spraying toxic herbicides on the landscape of Columbia (see: effects of Agent Orange) and ruins countless lives?

Yes there is. And I am an example.

One of the panelists was a guy name Jack Cole, a former New Jersey undercover narcotics cop who is chairman of an organization called Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, or LEAP, which has 50,000 cops, judges, prosecutors, prison wardens and others fighting to end drug prohibition. There is, as far as I know, no other criminal law that has such a group trying to change it.

Cole risked his life, as these officers do, for years at a time. He told me matter-of-factly that his efforts made not one iota of difference in solving the drug problem (Perhaps that's why LEAP exists. As John Kerry said of Vietnam, who wants to be the last man to die for a mistake?).

The soft-spoken ex-cop, who provided many of the statistics I quoted above, would like to treat drug abuse as a public health problem. He said there's been only one success in fighting drug abuse in the last 40 years, and that was in the addiction to nictotine. Cigarettes! Cancer sticks! Coffin nails! From 1985 to 2003, the percentage of the U.S. population that smoked tobacco dropped from 42 percent to 21 percent.

Did we achieve this remarkable success by making tobacco illegal, by having cops bust tobacco dens? No. It's been done by taxation, regulation, treatment and education. I will testify. Next year I celebrate 30 years of easy breathing, thanks to an excellent smoking cessation program by the American Lung Association in East Hartford.

Can this be done with other drugs? It would certainly be worth our while to find out. By one estimate, Connecticut spends $130 million a year enforcing marijuana laws. A 2008 study by Harvard economist Jeffrey A. Miron estimated that legalizing drugs would inject $76.8 billion a year into the U.S. economy ? $44.1 billion from law enforcement savings, and at least $32.7 billion in tax revenue.

The state should pass the medical marijuana law, for humanitarian reasons. It should also pass the decriminalization bill, making posession of small amouns of marijuana an infraction. If the world doesn't end, we should look at what's happening in countries such as Portugal and the Netherlands, and try some pilot programs that favor treatment and education over arrest and prosecution.

If we took the profit motive away from criminals, this would be a different country.

Follow the link for a video on a woman that is a victim of the Field tests and bad police and Prosecuting Attorney work.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/fl-sage-pot-arrest-20110528,0,6866501,full.story

She prayed for peace that day.

But the sage that Robin Brown carried on a bird-watching outing in Weston landed her in jail on felony charges of marijuana possession.

Now she is suing over the wrongful arrest.

"I'm not out for revenge," said Brown, 49, a soft-spoken woman from Montana who moved to Hollywood in 2007. "I'm trying to bring information to light so that it doesn't happen to anyone else."

Bird Watcher Wrongly Arrested For Possession of Pot Had Sage in Backpack

Deputy thought herb was marijuana; State Attorney's Office ordered arrest without lab test

But the sage that Robin Brown carried on a bird-watching outing in Weston landed her in jail on felony charges of marijuana possession.

Now she is suing over the wrongful arrest.

"I'm not out for revenge," said Brown, 49, a soft-spoken woman from Montana who moved to Hollywood in 2007. "I'm trying to bring information to light so that it doesn't happen to anyone else."

Sheriff's Deputy Dominic Raimondi, 51, mistook Brown's sage for marijuana, then searched her car and found more. His field kit said the sage ? purchased at an airport gift shop in Albuquerque, N.M. ? tested positive for marijuana.

He did not arrest her that day in March 2009, but sent the 50 grams of "contraband" to the crime lab for a more definitive test.

Assistant State Attorney Mark Horn ordered Brown's arrest without having the sage tested, court records show.

Three months later, Raimondi showed up at the Massage Envy in Weston where Brown works and took her away in handcuffs.

"They arrested me in front of my customers, my boss, my co-workers," Brown said. She later was subjected to a body cavity search, a strip search and an overnight stay in jail.

A month later, Brown's attorney discovered that the sage had never been tested at the Broward Sheriff's Office crime lab.

"When I found out they didn't do a lab test, I was outraged," said her Miami attorney, Bill Ullman. "I raised hell about that."

On July 23, 2009, Ullman demanded that the sage be tested.

The lab test concluded that the dried sage was not marijuana at all.

The criminal charges were dropped.

Ullman said one apologetic prosecutor called him to say it was "scary" someone could be arrested under such circumstances.

"Our policy is to make sure the evidence is tested at the very least before trial," said Ron Ishoy, spokesman for the Broward State Attorney's Office. "Looking back now at this specific police report, it would have been the better practice to test the evidence before filing a formal charge."

Field tests are unreliable and can give a false positive, said John Kelly, a forensic drug test expert based in Washington, D.C.

Brown filed a civil lawsuit claiming public humiliation, mental pain and suffering. The suit accuses the Broward State Attorney's Office of negligence and malicious prosecution.

Circuit Judge John Bowman dismissed the case in January, saying prosecutors are given immunity from lawsuits in the course of doing their jobs.

Brown is appealing to the 4th District Court of Appeal in hopes she will be granted the right to a jury trial.

"We just want a chance to go to trial and let a jury decide if the prosecution should have immunity," she said. "We are appealing to a higher court so my case can be heard."

Ullman argues that, in this case, the prosecutor should not have immunity.

"They said if we allow people to sue prosecutors for mistakes they would be afraid to do their jobs," Ullman said. "In this case, the prosecutor should be sued because he filed a false statement swearing she had marijuana. And she didn't."

Brown was birdwatching that day in the woods off U.S. Highway 27.

An avid bird-watcher, Brown brought her sage along for smudging, a purification ritual popular among Native American tribes and spiritual groups. Brown believes the smoke from the sage helps clear negative energy and also helps take your prayers to heaven.

Before heading back to her car, Brown burned the sage in a clay pot to give thanks for the wildlife she had seen that day.

"Smudging is a way for me to give thanks and express my gratitude," she said. "That day, I was using it to carry my prayers to heaven."

When Brown returned to her car, a deputy and officer with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission were waiting. They asked what she was doing there.

Bird-watching, she told them. When they continued to question her, she opened her backpack to show them her binoculars and bird book.

That's when the deputy spotted her sage and the smudging bowl with burned ashes.

Three months later, she found herself in jail.

"I tried to look tough, but inside I was quaking," she said. "I didn't know how long I would be there. All I knew was that something had gone terribly wrong. A few months had gone by. I thought I was in the clear."

After her fiance posted $1,000 bail, she was released at 4 a.m. in Pompano Beach.

Brown says she has learned her lesson. She leaves the sage at home these days.

I want to point out that last line there.

"She has learned her lesson."

Don't do anything slightly different because it will only cause her problems. Conform, or be targeted.

This is what the Constitution is supposed to protect us from, and what the drug war enables the police to do.

Report: 'Global War On Drugs Has Failed'

The global war on drugs has failed with devastating consequences for individuals and societies around the world, argues a new report to be released Thursday.

Compiled by the Global Commission on Drug Policy, which includes former heads of state, a former U.N. secretary-general and a business mogul, the report calls on governments to end the criminalization of marijuana and other controlled substances.

"Political leaders and public figures should have the courage to articulate publicly what many of them acknowledge privately: that the evidence overwhelmingly demonstrates that repressive strategies will not solve the drug problem, and that the war on drugs has not, and cannot, be won," the report said.

The 19-member commission includes former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan and former U.S. official George P. Schultz, who held cabinet posts under U.S. Presidents Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon. Others include former U.S. Federal Reserve chairman Paul Volcker, former presidents of Mexico, Brazil and Colombia, writers Carlos Fuentes and Mario Vargas Llosa, U.K. business mogul Richard Branson and the current prime minister of Greece.

Instead of punishing users who the report says "do no harm to others," the commission argues that governments should end criminalization of drug use, experiment with legal models that would undermine organized crime syndicates and offer health and treatment services for drug-users in need.

The commission called for drug policies based on methods empirically proven to reduce crime, lead to better health and promote economic and social development.

The commission is especially critical of the United States, which its members say must lead changing its anti-drug policies from being guided by anti-crime approaches to ones rooted in health care and human rights.

"We hope this country [the U.S.] at least starts to think there are alternatives," former Colombian president Cesar Gaviria told The Associated Press by phone. "We don't see the U.S. evolving in a way that is compatible with our [countries'] long-term interests."

The office of White House drug czar Gil Kerlikowske said the report was misguided.

"Drug addiction is a disease that can be successfully prevented and treated. Making drugs more available as this report suggests will make it harder to keep our communities healthy and safe," Office of National Drug Control Policy spokesman Rafael Lemaitre said.

That office cites statistics showing declines in U.S. drug use compared to 30 years ago, along with a more recent 46 percent drop in current cocaine use among young adults over the last five years.

The report cited U.N. estimates that opiate use increased 34.5 percent worldwide and cocaine 27 percent from 1998 to 2008, while the use of cannabis, or marijuana, was up 8.5 percent.

And the rebutal from the ONDCP.

http://ofsubstance.gov/blogs/pushing_back/archive/2011/06/02/51896.aspx

Setting the Record Straight: The Global Commission Report on Drug Legalization

Office of the Director, ONDCP
June 2, 2011

Rafael Lemaitre, ONDCP Communications Director, issued the following statement yesterday in response to a report by the Global Commission on Drug Policy calling for the legalization of all drugs.

"The Obama Administration's efforts to reduce drug use are not born out of a culture war or drug war mentality, but out of the recognition that drug use strains our economy, health, and public safety. The bottom line is that balanced drug control efforts are making a big difference. Today, drug use in America is half of what it was thirty years ago, cocaine production in Colombia has dropped by almost two-thirds, and we're successfully diverting thousands of non-violent offenders into treatment instead of jail by supporting alternatives to incarceration. Drug addiction is a disease that can be successfully prevented and treated. Making drugs more available ? as this report suggests ? will make it harder to keep our communities healthy and safe."

Here are some key facts about drug use and abuse today:

? Overall drug use in the United States has dropped substantially over the past thirty years. The number of Americans using illicit drugs today is roughly half the rate it was in the late 70's. (National Survey on Drug Use and Health, HHS)

? More recently, there has been a 46 percent drop in current cocaine use among young adults (age 18 to 25 years) over the past five years, and a 68 percent drop in the rate of people testing positive for cocaine in the workplace since 2006. Additionally, the potential production capacity for pure cocaine in Colombia has declined from an estimated 700 metric tons potential cocaine production in 2001 to only 270 metric tons in 2009 ? a 61 percent drop.

? According to the latest UN World Drug Report (2010) "Demand for cocaine in the U.S. has been in long-term decline.?

? The President's inaugural Drug Control Strategy - released one year ago - is a marked departure from previous approaches to drug policy. The Strategy focuses on both the public health and public safety aspects of drug abuse and addiction. It focuses on addiction as a disease and on the importance of preventing drug use, as well as providing treatment to those who need it, including those who are involved in the criminal justice system. For the first time, it emphasizes support for millions of individuals who are in recovery from drug addiction. The President's Budget, dedicates over $10 billion in Federal funds for reducing drug consumption in the United States.

? Legalization remains a non-starter in the Obama Administration because research shows that illegal drug use is associated with voluntary treatment admissions, fatal drugged driving accidents, mental illness, and emergency room admissions.

? An independent 2010 study from RAND concluded that "legalizing marijuana in California will not dramatically reduce the drug revenues collected by Mexican drug trafficking organizations from sales to the United States." We also know that these groups produce and traffic methamphetamine and heroin, continue to move significant amounts of cocaine, and conduct an array of criminal activities including kidnapping, extortion, and human trafficking. Because of the variety and scope of the cartels' business, and its illicit and purposefully obscured nature, determining the precise percentage of revenues from marijuana is problematic, but we can be very confident that even the complete elimination of one of their illicit "product lines" will not result in their disbanding their criminal organizations.

? The United States has been clear that we cannot arrest our way out of the drug problem. In August 2010, the President signed the fair sentencing act which reduces the disparity in the amounts of powder cocaine and crack cocaine required for the imposition of mandatory minimum sentences and eliminates the mandatory minimum sentence for simple possession of crack cocaine.

There has been some support for the thought that we should treat addicts as sick people not crims. I hope that some movement in that direction.

Drug tests carried out in city pubs

Patrons tested for drugs at ten licensed premises.

A ?drugs itemiser? was used at ten licensed premises in the city?s Sheddocksley, Northfield and Bridge of Don areas in the latest phase of Operation Maple.

The device allows police officers or door staff to check for illegal drugs by swabbing a person?s hands.

Bridge of Don Local Policing Team Inspector Moray Watt felt the operation was a success despite no drugs being found.

He said: "Several premises volunteered to take part in the initiative. Working closely with bar staff, police officers checked people as a condition of entry. Anyone who tested positive was spoken to by police and searched.

"The operation was very positive and allowed officers to speak to people entering the bars concerned about the Pub Watch Scheme and how we are working in partnership to reduce drugs misuse through Operation Maple. Whilst no controlled drugs were recovered, out of the 217 patrons that were tested, several persons did test positive and were searched by police".

Meanwhile, Seaton Local Policing Team also carried out an operation cracking down on licensed premises who sell alcohol to people under the age of 18 on Friday.

Specially trained under-age youths participated in test purchase operations in the Seaton and Hanover areas of the city.

Of the 11 off-sales premises tested one failed to ask for proof of age and another three sold a bottle of alcopops to the test purchaser.

Sergeant Neil Grant said: "We are disappointed that three premises failed, however we are generally pleased with the results and remind staff in licensed premises to remain vigilant in their legal responsibilities. Under-age drinking is strongly linked to anti-social behaviour and it is encouraging to see that the majority of licensees take this seriously. Our communities should be assured that we will continue to target those who break the law."

So if you handled money in Scotland before going into the pub you probably have cocaine on your hands and would get searched and a lecture.

FBI busts Miami cop on drug charge

FBI agents arrested a Miami police officer charged with possessing cocaine he had taken from a dope dealer.

A Miami police officer was arrested by the FBI Thursday and charged with carrying cocaine and marijuana he had seized from a dope dealer during a bust last year.

Roberto Asanza, 31, of Miami, a six-year veteran who worked in the department?s crime suppression unit, was charged with possession with intent to distribute cocaine. Asanza, a Marine Corp veteran and 1998 graduate of Coral Park High, was released on a personal surety bond after his first appearance in federal court Thursday.

If convicted, he faces up to 20 years in prison. His lawyer, assistant federal public defender Kashyap Patel, declined to comment. A Miami police representative could not be reached for comment.

According to an FBI affidavit, Asanza and other CSU members arrested a man identified as ?L.R.? at an Allapattah window-tinting shop on Northwest Seventh Avenue in early May of last year and seized numerous bags of cocaine and marijuana.

A few weeks later, FBI agents stopped Asanza?s vehicle and found 10 bags of cocaine and two of marijuana, which were part of the same drug cache taken from the Allapattah dope dealer, the affidavit said.

The FBI investigation, assisted by Miami police, also involves Asanza?s supervisor.

In January 2010, Asanza and another Miami police officer, identified as ?R.I.? in the affidavit, recruited a confidential informant to work with the undercover squad. According to sources, R.I. is Raul Iglesias, 38, a Miami police sergeant who was in charge of the Central District?s CSU before he was suspended with pay following the FBI?s stop of Asanza?s vehicle.

Iglesias, a 16-year veteran, has not been charged but is under investigation, sources said.

His lawyer, William Matthewman, described Iglesias as an ?excellent police officer who has done absolutely nothing wrong. It is unfortunate that his name is being raised in this context.?

According to the FBI affidavit, the confidential informant tipped off R.I. and Asanza about the dealer who sold drugs at the Allapattah shop.

On May 5 of last year, R.I., Asanza and other CSU members arrested L.R. at the tint shop and confiscated the drugs.

About three weeks later, FBI agents questioned Asanza. He let them search his truck, where agents found the drugs. Asanza admitted to the agents that the drugs were taken from the tint shop dealer after his arrest.

In October, Asanza admitted to FBI agents that both he and R.I. ?took custody of the drugs and money? from the tint shop dealer, according to the affidavit. Asanza also admitted that he ?paid? the informant with one or two bags of cocaine seized from the doper numerous times.

?Asanza admitted that he knew it was wrong to give drugs to the CI, but that he was trying to build a rapport with the CI,? the affidavit said,

After the dealer?s arrest, the confidential informant said that R.I. paid him $40 for his services. The informant said he signed a receipt for it, which is policy.Asanza then said: ?Hook [the CI] up some,? according to the affidavit. R.I. handed the informant $80 -- cash found at the tint shop -- along with two bags of cocaine, the document says.

I wonder why the FBI became involved so quickly. Were they already watching the "dope dealer" in question or was he one of their guys(Confidential Informant)? Or was it one of his team that is under investigation? The case stinks from both ends IMO. But it does not really matter, this is just another example of police corruption that is a direct result of the Drug War.

Remember the substance called K2 that was banned not long ago. Turns out that it was created right here in the good ol' U.S.A. with taxpayer funds.

So instead of letting the researcher use, I don't know, real marijuana to study the effects of marijuana on the brain, they force him to create synthetic substitutes for his study. Even he admits that his creation is far worse than the real thing. *Facepalm*

And an interview with a few of those that created the U.N. report on the failed drug war.

[video=youtube;LsO77_-TAws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LsO77_-TAws[/video]

Duncan Hamilton: War on drugs has also become a war on free thinking

THE war on drugs has failed. That is the stark and uncompromising conclusion of the Global Commission on Drugs Policy, which reported last week. The Commission, which comprises a stellar line-up of international leaders, argues it is time to accept that the "war" launched by President Nixon 40 years ago has been lost.

Not only have the supply and consumption of illegal drugs continued to rise inexorably, but the social and financial costs for governments and families the world over demand radical new thinking.

This matters in Scotland. Our problems are statistically worse than England, Ireland, Finland or Denmark. We have pockets of extreme deprivation where drug abuse is most damaging. Our most commonly used drugs are cannabis (one in three of us will take it at some point), followed by cocaine and ecstasy, which are both also increasing in usage. We also face the problem of how to tackle the controlling hand of organised crime, and the global market which makes that task so hard. Up to 60,000 children in Scotland (one in 20) were estimated in 2000 to experience a drug problem with one parent or more. The problem is international but the impact local, and often deeply personal.

Remember too that the cost of "problem" drug use every year in Scotland is ?2.6 billion. In these financially troubled times, that's a big number.

The Scottish Government launched a new strategy in 2008 with the emphasis on recovery - in other words, giving those with a drug problem the tools to break the cycle of decline. That strategy contains an impressively holistic approach, looking at everything from the Curriculum for Excellence in schools to job creation and service provision.

But as useful as all of that is, this new report is dealing with matters on a much bigger stage. This is about challenging the whole concept of criminalising those who use drugs. It is about accepting that drug use is a permanent feature of our 21st-century world and therefore trying to deal with the worst aspects of that through a more realistic approach. "Zero tolerance" now has zero relevance.

Instead, the principle urged upon the international community is of ending the criminalisation of those who use drugs but do no harm to others. The Commission produces evidence that the costs - social and financial - of incarcerating millions of people are massive, and does nothing to restrict or reduce the flow of drugs. It argues that turning a blind eye and focusing those resources elsewhere is now the imperative. Bold stuff.

But there's more: the Commission wants governments to experiment with different models of legal regulation of drugs to undermine organised crime, particularly as regards cannabis.

It also wants to offer a greater variety of treatment - not just methadone but heroin-assisted treatment programmes such as those used in Canada.

For many, these proposals will be offensive. They will provoke anger. They will draw accusations of raising the white flag and of weakness. Governments around the world have already rushed to condemn. But in doing so they make the Commission's point entirely. The problem around the world is precisely that lack of thought. There is no honesty and no desire to challenge the orthodoxy which has so palpably failed.

Some of the examples cited by the Commission must give pause for reflection. For example, what about the heroin substitution programme in Switzerland which reduced property crime by 90 per cent? Or the approach to medically prescribed heroin in the Netherlands which has delivered the lowest percentage of people who inject heroin in the EU? What do we think about the reduction of heroin use in Portugal after the controversial decriminalisation of the use and possession of all illicit drugs in 2001? Each of those is deeply controversial, but aren't any worth a second look?

The serious response is to pick up the gauntlet thrown down by this Commission and to start from first principles working our way through the legal and moral maze. Do we accept that there will always be a market for illegal drugs, and if so, why is it wrong to seek to regulate that in an effort to protect users and diminish the power and wealth of organised crime? What in that new landscape are the big public policy objectives? Should we legalise all drugs, and if not, which ones and why? That's the real debate, so why can't we have it?

Mainly the silence is because this issue is a guaranteed vote loser which brings only the certainty of dividing opinion. Remember Dr David Nutt, the former government drugs adviser sacked for daring to think outside the box? Or what about the hurried reversal by New Labour of a decision to reclassify cannabis to a class C drug? This timidity has to end - it is simply offensive that the failure of our drugs policy over generations has become a no-go area of radical debate.

In Scotland, of course, we have the added anomaly of Holyrood controlling policing, criminal justice and the courts (which allowed previous successful initiatives such as drug courts) but not drug classification and regulation of offences and penalties. Clearly that must change.

Much less clear is whether any future Scottish Government would use new powers to challenge some of the old certainties which have failed too many for too long. It's time for the war on drugs to become a battle of ideas.

Will this make a difference? It is still a touchy subject in the United States Congress. I hope it does, but I am doubtful.

I will quote the article.

For many, these proposals will be offensive. They will provoke anger. They will draw accusations of raising the white flag and of weakness. Governments around the world have already rushed to condemn. But in doing so they make the Commission's point entirely. The problem around the world is precisely that lack of thought. There is no honesty and no desire to challenge the orthodoxy which has so palpably failed.

No, I don't think it will help much, at least not right away. The Drug War is expected now. It is like trying to teach an old dog new tricks, it is not impossible, but you need some patients. The Drug War has been here basicly my whole life. I have been fighting it a long time, and I expect to be fighting it for a while more. I guess I am just as stubborn as they are, but I know I am right.

A Peaceful End to the War on Drugs?

The international war on drugs isn?t stopping drug use or trafficking?but it is ruining lives. Drug policy expert Sanho Tree on what we can do differently.

Earlier this month tens of thousands of people marched in Mexico City to protest a war that has left more than 35,000 people dead in the last four and a half years. When elected president of Mexico in 2006, Felipe Calder?n vowed to crack down on drug trafficking in his country. With the support of U.S. policies like the Merida Initiative [pdf], he executed a military crackdown that has only increased drug-related violence.

In Colombia, campesino farmers continue to be displaced by a U.S.-backed civil war that has gone on for decades. The pending U.S.-Colombia Free Trade Agreement [pdf] threatens to further displace these farmers by making it impossible to compete with large agricultural producers receiving U.S. subsidies. Cocaine production has become one of very few options for farmers merely trying to feed their families. The Colombian and U.S. governments deal with this by sending military forces to eradicate coca crops by spraying toxic herbicides from helicopters?an imprecise practice that has also eradicated many legal crops and caused health problems in the communities they hit. In spite of the crackdowns, the percentage of cocaine imported to the United States that comes from Colombia has increased from 90 to 97 percent in the last decade.

Understanding the international war on drugs means examining a complex web of interactions. Sanho Tree, director of the Drug Policy Project at the Institute for Policy Studies, describes the international drug war as one of the most interdisciplinary problems he?s ever encountered. It involves police and prosecutors, drug trafficking gangs and peasant farmers, addicts and casual users. It involves those wealthy enough to consume the drugs, and also those poor enough to risk producing them. It involves everything from the prison, education, and health care systems to policies dealing with foreign aid, economic growth, and military spending. And it involves the high demand coming from the United States: With just five percent of the world's population, our country consumes roughly two-thirds of the world's illicit drugs.

The good news is people are waking up to the counterproductive policies and ideas promoted by the drug wars. Several former Latin American presidents?Fernando Henrique Cardoso, C?sar Gaviria, and Ernesto Zedillo of Brazil, Colombia, and Mexico respectively?have publicly condemned the approach of the U.S. and Latin American drug wars and have called for a paradigm shift that ?must focus on health and education?not repression.? The evidence against this war is hard to deny?the challenge now lies in putting sustainable alternatives into action.

In his work on drug policy reform, Sanho Tree has traveled throughout Latin America and has seen the devastating effects U.S. policies and influence have abroad. He speaks and writes to educate people on the real costs of the drug war?and how we can move beyond it.

If This is a War, Who?s Winning?

Rebecca Leisher: Recently you've said the drug war in Latin America is rivaling the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. What?s going on here?in what sense is this a war, and whose interests are being served?

Sanho Tree: Not many people's interests are served by this. It's not good for the cartels that are fighting each other, it's not good for the state, it's not good for the people. It's not even good for the drug warriors because this is not success, this is not something we can be proud of. But what you have is something driven by the economics of drug prohibition, and it all descends from that. The traffickers are doing what's in their self-interest to do?their bottom line is to maximize profits.

They're carrying out, in Mexico for instance, a turf war. These drug trafficking organizations are fighting over turf because the U.S. is the biggest consumer of drugs, and Mexico is in between the production and the demand, so the conduits?these trafficking corridors?are incredibly profitable. There are only so many strategic choke points, so they're fighting over control of that because it's so lucrative.

So President Calder?n of Mexico gets elected in December of 2006 with the most razor thin of margins. He thought he would do something bold and decisive, and he rushed himself into an ill-conceived war. It's counterintuitive, but when you have a turf war brewing, the worst thing the state can do is get in between it. Calder?n thought he could throw 50,000 troops at this problem and solve it. Turf wars usually have a beginning, a middle and an end, but what Calder?n has done is make sure that we have a very long middle and no end in sight. As soon as he attacks one cartel, the others think, ?Oh, they've been weakened, we can go after their turf now." And then he goes and attacks another one, and then suddenly the balance switches and then they fight over there, and back and forth, back and forth.

When politicians see this kind of disorder, the temptation is to throw water onto the fire. That?s a common sense solution, but if you've ever had a grease fire in your kitchen or an electrical fire, throwing water?I don't recommend it. It makes it explode. That's the problem we have here, because this fire in Mexico is a prohibition-related fire. They're fighting because prohibition makes these drugs so valuable. And keep in mind that this bloodshed is really over the right to traffic and distribute minimally processed agricultural commodities. Cannabis, cocaine, heroin?they're easy to produce, there's nothing exotic about them, they're just plant byproducts.

A Broken Social Contract

Rebecca Leisher: So why do we keep this going, on Calder?n's end, and in the U.S.?

Sanho Tree: As long as the U.S. is here, as long as the U.S. demands these drugs, Mexico will always be a conduit. So at the end of all this bloodshed, there will still be drug trafficking through Mexico. And so the question has to be asked: To what end are we waging this war?

Aside from the human cost of this?the now 36,000 dead in Mexico since the beginning of 2007?the other cost of this is much harder to quantify. What has been destroyed is the social contract. The idea that the state could guarantee safety, to allow basic life to continue, has been shattered as a result of drug prohibition-related violence. The social contract is something that can be destroyed rather quickly and easily, but it can take generations or decades to rebuild.

Rebecca Leisher: Why don?t we expand the conversation to Colombia and other areas in Latin America. You?ve traveled a lot throughout those areas in your work toward drug policy reform. In the short documentary Shoveling Water, you visit a coca farm in Colombia to show the devastation caused by what are largely U.S. policies, like crop spraying to eradicate coca plants. From an international perspective, what are some of the actual effects of these types of crackdown methods?

Sanho Tree: It has alienated people from the government. We're talking about people who are eking out a living with the illicit crops in very remote areas of the country, people who have been historically abandoned by the state. And the state continues to alienate them. Instead of saying, "we'd rather you didn't grow these illicit crops, we'd rather you did something different, we are going to help you find an alternative, we'll offer you something better," instead we've been punishing them. We view them simply as criminals, and we send crop dusters escorted by helicopter gunships to eradicate their coca crops.

The aerial spraying basically creates a giant gas cloud. It hangs like vapor, and it will get carried by the crosswinds. It then falls and coats the coca leaves and causes the coca plant to drop its leaves and possibly die. But coca's a fairly hardy plant, and other plants are much more susceptible. Corn and yucca especially?they instantly turn brown and die. It destroys grasslands, it destroys fish ponds?aquaculture being one of few success stories down there. It will kill the fish, and there's lots of rashes, vomiting, diarrhea, and infant deaths attributed to these chemicals. They're learning to associate the state with death, destruction, and suffering.

This is what it means to be alienated from your own government. And in the midst of a four and a decades-old civil war, this is not a good way to win hearts and minds.

Rebecca Leisher: Who are the people growing the coca, and what are their circumstances?

Sanho Tree: They're living away from any kind of major state presence?no roads, no infrastructure that would allow them to grow legal crops and process and sell them at a profit. These are people who have been?some of them?forced off their lands in other parts of Colombia after four and a half decades of civil war. Basically these are the people who the state has forgotten.

This [photo at left] is a major road in Guaviare that comes from the provincial capitol and is connected to the rest of the province. So if you want to reach the rest of Colombia you have to cross that road. And the lucky campesinos will have farms next to that road, but most of them are many kilometers away. You have to haul tons of yucca and pineapples and other crops from your remote farm down these dirt paths and hope that you have enough money or that some truck will come by with room that will help you get it to the nearest city to sell, and get there and sell it at a profit before it rots. So in this context, would you rather be hauling cattle or tons of fruits or vegetables, or a kilo of coca paste? That's the problem.

The pending free trade agreement (FTA) is going to put a tremendous amount of pressure on small-scale farmers in Colombia, and these are precisely the people we want to keep from turning to illicit crops. How can they compete with ADM and Cargill? A lot of these farmers want to be the kinds of farmers that grow corn and other crops.

Coca Mama

Rebecca Leisher: The coca plant is considered sacred and is used medicinally in a lot of indigenous communities. What roles do cultural differences play in why we vilify some of these mind-altering substances more than others?

Sanho Tree: The coca bush actually has a lot of historical and beneficial uses. It is a source of medicine, of sustenance; it helps fight altitude sickness; it fights hunger, thirst; it has protein, iron, calcium?in the high Andes people may not have access to those kinds of minerals and vitamins. It?s called ?coca mama? by many indigenous peoples?it?s a gift from the gods.

And in its natural state it's just about impossible to abuse. It?s only when it's refined into cocaine that it becomes more problematic. Indigenous people should not have to pay the price for our abuse. It?s like saying, if you could extract methamphetamine out of coffee beans, would we then tolerate the banning of coffee because some people had a problem with methamphetamines? Similarly if some people have a problem with alcohol, should we aerially spray Sonoma and Napa County and destroy the grape crops?

Rebecca Leisher: You wrote in a recent op-ed, ?There are many alternatives in the spectrum between prohibition and total free-market legalization.? What might some of those look like?

Sanho Tree: The majority of people who try these drugs are not problematic users, but we make policies based on the extremes, rather than the average. And we have laws already to hold people accountable for their conduct. If you operate a vehicle, if you endanger other people?we already have laws in place for that. Not all use is abuse, not all abuse is addiction. There are some drugs that you don't want people to play around with?there aren?t many happy endings on meth. But on opiates and certainly on cannabis, there's a lot of non-problematic use. And when some of those are problematic it's to the individual, not to society.

In what other forms of public health do we use police, prosecutors and prisons as the primary means of making people healthy again? It?s kind of like treating clinical depression with a baseball bat: ?Smile or I?m going to beat you again.? You can't coerce someone into being healthy. We want doctors and therapists in the lead on this, not police and prosecutors and prisons. They?re not trained to make people better

DARE ? For Something Different

Rebecca Leisher: So what are the alternatives, or where should we be putting our resources in trying to address the root causes of the drug problem?

Sanho Tree: The root causes on both the supply and demand side are rooted in problems of poverty, despair, and alienation. Poverty is the one that's easiest to identify, but despair and alienation cut across class lines. Not only do we have to build a healthy society?we have to build a society that's meaningful.

Our spending on the drug war is upside down. The majority of the money goes to supply side policies, with eradication, incarceration, and law enforcement eating up two thirds of the drug control budget. And less than a third goes to prevention, treatment, and education. Ultimately the best way to keep people off drugs is to give them a reason to look forward to tomorrow. If you believe that tomorrow is not going to be a better day, then we get all kinds of problems in society?not just drugs. And for a lot of people, they do believe that their best days are behind them, and so that's when you get the manifestations of not just drugs but all kinds of antisocial behaviors.

A lot of the social democracies in Europe are able to have very liberal drug laws and much lower rates of drug use. It?s not a question of who has tougher drug laws that determine this but they have in many ways set out to build a healthy society. If you go to the Netherlands and do a drug policy tour, they will take you to the school system and show you how their education system works. They will take you to the public housing system, the health system, and only then will they take you to the coffee shops to talk about drugs themselves. It?s really about building a healthy individual. And they've done something remarkable?they?ve managed to make marijuana boring. It?s not forbidden fruit; people can take it or leave it if they're over 18, and most people choose to leave it. They have lower rates of marijuana use than the United States. Those are the kinds of lessons we need to learn.

One of the positive things we can do in the United States is have honest educational systems instead of the D.A.R.E. program. We educate kids about drugs in ridiculous ways. We begin with a series of lies: ?Kids, drugs are bad, they make you feel bad, don't take them.? No, they make you feel good?that?s why people take them! There are bad consequences?both in terms of the legal system and physiologically and psychologically? but you can't begin by a series of lies. It just creates more cynicism. That's when it gets really dangerous because then you can't teach kids about the really important things, about real, relative dangers?like methamphetamines, like heroin?things that are truly addictive and damaging. You can't equate that with marijuana.

Generationally, we're at a crossroads. It?s harder and harder to find a presidential candidate or a member of Congress that can claim to have been drug-free all their lives. This is important because it brings out a question we should pose to politicians: would a good, stiff prison sentence for drug use have made your life better? And if not, then why is it so good for all these other people, particularly poor people and people of color?

Rebecca Leisher: On an individual level, what can people do to work toward changing these policies?

Sanho Tree: History is made by those who show up. People have a lot more power at the local level than they realize. How do you take limited resources and leverage them to produce the maximum effect? You can build effective, more powerful coalitions by understanding how power works and what politicians listen to. It?s not just a matter of emailing politicians or your member of congress. The amount of time it takes for you to express your opinion carries more weight if it's something that takes more effort or time.

People in the U.S. can talk to their representatives and actually implement international policies that help farmers in particular, not through these FTAs which help elites. There is lots of positive-type aid that could be used to address some of these problems, while we're going after simple-minded solutions.

As an historian I?ll tell you the only thing that I?m certain of is change?and sometimes it's even for the better. So that's what gives me hope.