The "Dying with Dignity" Debate

The "Dying with Dignity" Debate

• Yes, we deserve the right to die with dignity and without pain .

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Yes, but only if the person can express that choice clearly.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Not sure, depends on each individual case.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • No, it's wrong

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Don't recall seeing a previous thread on this subject so here goes....

After a free vote in the House of Commons today the UK's MPs have once again voted roughly 2:1 against a proposed change in the law that would allow people in pain and who have been given less than 6 months to live the right to assistance to end their own suffering. Currently those UK citizens who want such help have to travel to Switzerland, often in great discomfort, in order to exert any form of choice in the way they meet their end.

Bear in mind this wasn't some Bill designed to let relatives bump Grandma off a bit early so they could get their hands on her money. Each would have required the signatures of two doctors and then the approval of a High Court Judge before the prescription would be issued for the drugs that the patient would have to be capable of taking themselves.

Isn't it high time in a supposedly civilised world that we are able to die with dignity and without pain instead of being forced to suffer until the bitter end, enjoying at least the same rights as a family pet with terminal cancer?

Last edited:
Back in the day (1980s), I was a member of the Hemlock Society (USA), which was an organization that supported the right of terminally ill patients to end their lives at a time of their choosing. That organization evolved and merged with other similar entities. It is now known as "Compassion and Choices". It has drawn the ire of the Roman Catholic Church and most protestant denominations, as well as many disabilities rights organizations (that generally view assisted suicide as "a form of lethal discrimination against people with disabilities" [Wikipedia]).

Like quite a few other situations, some of which we face daily; my usual answer is: "Please stop trying to make other people live according to your beliefs..."

SL

Why limit the option to people who are terminally ill and in pain? Everyone has the right to die if (s)he wishes to (for whatever reasons!), because there is no such thing as an obligation to live. Therefore, things like the drugs used for "assisted suicide" should be available to everyone.

Quebec has finally passed a law allowing it, it will come into effect in December if I remember correctly.

However, the association of doctors working palliative care have said their members would not be doing it. So centers specializing in palliative care won't offer it, meaning the patients most in need of it will need to be transported to a different location to exercise their rights to die with dignity.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/palliative-care-dying-with-dignity-quebec-1.3212672

The director of the West Island Palliative Care Residence says patients seeking assistance with dying will have to go elsewhere.

"We are absolutely one of the 29 [palliative care programs in Quebec] that are opting out of providing this service," says the residence's executive director, Theresa Dellar.

"The basic philosophy of palliative care is we do nothing to hasten death, and obviously euthanasia does hasten death. Our philosophy to provide comfort, care and dignity at the end of life and to allow for the natural process of death to take place," she said.

Dellar said patients at the palliative care residence who request medically assisted death will be transferred out to another facility where their wishes can be carried out, with no judgment, she told CBC Daybreak host Mike Finnerty on Wednesday.

However, she said, there needs to be a stronger case made for palliative care in Quebec.

"When people's symptoms [and pain] are managed, and they're allowed to die in a dignified manner, they actually live quite well," Dellar said.

She said only a fraction of Quebecers have access to palliative care, but Quebec's new law on allowing for medical help in dying makes that option available to 100 per cent of Quebecers.

"Right now only 16 per cent of Canadians have access to palliative care, so how can they make that choice?" she said.

I chose #2. I think what was voted down in the UK was a very sensible approach, but I am thinking that the controlling party members blindly voted.

Check out the Terri Schiavo story, and how divided the nation was with it. Right wingers were obsessed with keeping her alive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terri_Schiavo_case

Missed that one. But since this is a debate that is ongoing and we now have a poll....
Apologies if it came across snarky. Was on my cell phone when I made that post. Just wanted to point out another side of the debate (basically the opposite side of what's happening in UKania) without typing too much out.

Apologies if it came across snarky. Was on my cell phone when I made that post. Just wanted to point out another side of the debate (basically the opposite side of what's happening in UKania) without typing too much out.

I didn't take it in any way snarky, don't worry. I don't really frequent this section hence my caveat in the original post.

It's a subject that will be debated in various forms globally in future and having a poll is useful. If anything it goes to prove how sane and sensible most FG members are, just as the one in the Gay Marriage thread did.

2:1 against in a free vote, I am disappointed and a bit surprised.

I wonder how "free" the free vote was? :think:

Actually my mistake it was nearer 3:1.

.. upon further reflection, maybe the MPs are not willing to trust future Goverments, who may extend the law "just for special this instance" etc, etc.

The Slippery Slope arguement!

Dunno. :dunno:

Why limit the option to people who are terminally ill and in pain? Everyone has the right to die if (s)he wishes to (for whatever reasons!), because there is no such thing as an obligation to live. Therefore, things like the drugs used for "assisted suicide" should be available to everyone.

This, if I wanna off myself who are you to stand in my way?

Just wondering, if assisted suicide is ok, why is the death penalty not?

That's a debate for another thread which I imagine already exists. It certainly doesn't belong in here.

Just wondering, if assisted suicide is ok, why is the death penalty not?

To put it simply, what if you got the wrong guy? Also it's really fucking expensive to put someone on death row, it costs more than keeping them in prison for life and fuck spending money on criminals.

Title should simply be "Should human beings be allowed to choose their own end?" And there should be an option for "YES" without all your other PC bullshit attached to it. The fact that suicide is illegal is why there are so many suicides. No one who is truly suicidal is going to admit it, because that will destroy their life. Instead, they will remain silent until they see their opportunity.

I've had 3 of my friends commit suicide. No one had a fucking clue what was going on - because there's no way they were going to be persecuted for being "suicidal" like they're a common fucking criminal. And fuck all you assholes that call them "weak" and whatever other bullshit, because you're part of the problem. Good for you that you're not suicidal. No one gives a shit.