The End Of An Era: FinalGear.com's Main Site Retired, Forums Will Live On

Like what, a news site? I have no interest in something else to suck up my time, especially considering it'd never be as good as the existing sites out there who have real resources (Jalopnik, Autoblog, etc.).

Honestly I'm looking forward to not having to work on this site anymore.

Not a news site, that's been done and done again - but pushing community events and making some short films about those and other events?

As far as work for you goes, surely there would be some people in the community who would be willing to put in some effort to get some content on there?

Sad times...
will always miss the main site, even if i rarely went there.

Not a news site, that's been done and done again - but pushing community events and making some short films about those and other events?

I think that kind of stuff will work fine on the forums.

I really don't have the desire to manage content and curate another website. I'm burned out after a decade of this.

Sad to see the website come to such an end, I've used it a lot over the years. Still good to see the forums, IRC and best of all, the comunity live on.

Thanks for all the hard work, Viper, Quiky, Packetcollision and former team members.

Thanks for all your hard work Alex, although I haven't posted on the forum much I religiously read the front page and eagerly looked at the tickers to see when the next episode was on.

So long, main page, and thanks for all the fish.

Thanks for all your hard work over the years, staff-types. This is still one of the best places on the 'net.

Well, it had to happen one day..

That said: I hardly ever visited the mainsite over the past years anyway, so as long as the forum and the community coming with it stays up, all is good. FG, or more specific the community, turned into much more than something about TG. I didn't even like all of the most recent TG episodes. Whatever TG does, I don't care, as long as I keep the ton of friends I gained over the years, spread across the globe.

Why can't just they offer a similar service with a sensible fee? I'd gladly subscribe to top gear uk/us.

Why can't just they offer a similar service with a sensible fee? I'd gladly subscribe to top gear uk/us.

because of contracts and the bbc licensing fees, it can only be free and ad free for UK peeps

Big thank you from the Netherlands!

I haven't posted here before, but I used the website a lot. I don't get the TV Kalender, but that's a matter of time, I think.

Now I'm searching for another way to see the Top Gear episodes, if anybody has a tip, please let us know.

Thanks to Viper, Q, pc and all the others for their work on the site during the past years. It's a pity, but that's the way life is.

As for the rest, I completely agree with what thomas has written. :)

thanks guys, for all that you have done, over all of the years. To be honest when I logged on to check the timer to see what was happening with Top Gear US, I was pissed to see the 'cease and desist' notification, didn't think the BBC could be so short sighted as to do it. This web site has helped to create a global community of Top Gear supporters, loyal as hell to the brand.

The counters were good, but understandable to have lost the drive to maintain them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the work Alex love ya for it.

Signed up today for the forum just to say thanks. I've been using the main site for several years to keep updated on Top Gear stuff. I am sorry to see it go, but appreciate all you have done over the years. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the time and hard work to everyone, I remember a time when this was about the only site to find good dependable links to TG, and the King of info for all things TG especially the little known facts and music they used in the shows. It really is a shame to see it go, I really wished there could have been some sort of mutual agreement somehow with the BBC and you but, that's just not the way corporations seem to work nowadays, they just don't seem to get it, how much you and others have really spread the word and helped to flourish their "brand" across the planet.

I've been a Top Gear fan for a couple of years, and this site has been one of my favorites. It's the only site that I've found that I can actually use. No luck at all with any other ones. And everyone on here has always been super nice. Sad to see good things come to an end, but so it is.

Huge thanks and tons of gratitude for all the time and effort put into this site. It's a great one.