The End Of An Era: FinalGear.com's Main Site Retired, Forums Will Live On

Thanks for all you've done. I firmly believe that FinalGear has single-handedly increased TG viewer audiences worldwide by a very sizeable amount, and surely helped it become the online phenomenon that it is (and for what it's worth, it was my gateway into TG viewership as well). Very sad that legal bullshit has forced you to end the main site, but it's also totally understandable that it was a huge amount of work that you weren't compensated for, from which you are now relieved. It was a great run :)

And the forums certainly have grown to be a great community, which at least I'm not going to leave any time soon.

Yep, Alex & staff, thank you for everything - and good that the Forums will live on!

thank you guys for one of the best sites and forums out there
here in Denmark they cut little bits of the show out to make it fit the runtime(something i have always hated)

Back in 2004/05, I was a teenager and had no idea that Top Gear runs for short periodic seasons rather than all year around like most of the local shows here in my country. I had no idea when a new episode would air and whenever I caught an episode on BBC World (old re-runs) I would make a not of the time and wait for it every week. After 2 or 3 weeks would pass without no episode I would understand that the season has ended (It took me 3 or 4 seasons and many episode-empty evenings to realise that). Then came DSL in my home in 2007 and I searched for a website where I could find old episodes of Top gear. That's when I found out about finalgear.com and 7 years later I am writing this post... I will find the shows somewhere else but the people here cannot be replaced. Long-live finalgear....

I remember the site when the episodes were direct downloads on the front page (I was in college and drove a Volvo). Can't believe it's been 11 years. Thanks for a good run.

Today it's a sad sad day :cry:

But the spirit of FinalGear lived in the forums and here we are to stay. Thank you Viper007Bond, Quiky, PacketCollission and anyone who kept the site alive.

Long live FinalGear!!!

You did something that only a few in this planet could have done. Forever grateful with you. Forever angry with DMCA and their attitude that in the end hurt sales more than anything.

Massive respect and many thanks for the last 10 years.

I echo everyone else's thanks to Alex and the team but let's not be too sad; the forums have always been where it's really at and thanks to FG I have had some of the most amazing experiences of my life and will continue to do so.

I can also say with hand on heart that I have made some incredible new friends, both digital and analogue, some of whom I know will be true friends for life.

So I raise a glass to all of you, those met and yet un-met, and propose a toast and a vow that we promise not to let this incredible, amazing community wither and wain but grow and prosper so that we can all enjoy and experience more amazing times and memories.

:cheers:

This made me awfully sad today when i was making my regular visit to download the recent episodes of top gear America. It was my only reliable resource of getting access to these great shows on this side of the world.

I never realized this could happen :cry:

Thanks alot to every ones hard work that i enjoyed for many years and the only countdown that i excitedly checked upon very often..... ;)

I am too sad to think of writing anything else at the moment,...

Regards

A motor head from Pakistan

No support from the BBC or the boys? Fuck Em! I'm done with Top Gear (Loyal fan since 2002 and purchased lots of TG merchandise including DVDs).

Last edited:
Many thanks for keeping the site running until now, it has been my go to place for my top gear fix for many years now, your "retirement" is well deserved by now.

Sad. Without this site I would never have watched an episode of TopGear and thus never would have bought DVDs either. Well, thank you very much for all you did over the years. I'm sorry you have to suffer through so much corporate nonsense. A timer in the header would be cool though.

No support from the BBC or the boys? Fuck Em! I'm done with Top Gear (Loyal fan since 2002 and purchased lots of TG merchandise including DVDs).
Don't expect any kindness from a big corporation. As for the guys: Do they even know? And if yes: Can they actually do anything? I hope you don't expect them to put their livelihoods on the line for us.

Last edited:
End of an era.

This community is more about the forum than it is the website itself. But what a great website, it was designed once and designed properly -- stood the test of time. Even the original website I can still remember, was really good!

Big thanks to Viper and his team for all the hard work that's been put in. I have very fond memories of logging onto this website one decade ago and 'acquiring' my Top Gear fix. My internet was slow and it could take up to 24-hours to get, but it was well worth it as I could not get it on the local TV networks.

Anyway here's to another 10-years :cheers:

Yes, truly an end of an era. Shame.

It was great while it lasted though. :wave:

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. :)

I remember the site when the episodes were direct downloads on the front page (I was in college and drove a Volvo). Can't believe it's been 11 years. Thanks for a good run.

Haha wow, you do indeed go way back!

End of an era.

This community is more about the forum than it is the website itself. But what a great website, it was designed once and designed properly -- stood the test of time. Even the original website I can still remember, was really good!

Big thanks to Viper and his team for all the hard work that's been put in. I have very fond memories of logging onto this website one decade ago and 'acquiring' my Top Gear fix. My internet was slow and it could take up to 24-hours to get, but it was well worth it as I could not get it on the local TV networks.

Anyway here's to another 10-years :cheers:

Holy shit it's SL65! Welcome back dude! :)