The end of Australia's dominance in world cricket?

konradiusz

Following the retirement of the 'greatest spin bowler the world has ever seen', Shane Warne, and the ever aging Australian squad, is it fair to say that the Golden Era of Australian Cricket is finally over?

Hell no!

There's a huge talent pool within the domestic scene. There's plenty of good fast bowlers and spinners going around. Just remember, we have on tests without him before (and McGrath)

I care about cricket this much! --><--

:p

I hated shane warne, too often he disgraced our country with his bullshit antics.

Disgraced our country? Hate him? That's a bit harsh. I don't think whatever he did in his public life was any business of ours or affected the way he played cricket. Sure, he was a bit of a dill at times, but judge what he did on the field, not off.

I'm excited to see what does happen to Australian cricket over the next few years, and see what new talents emerge.

Disgraced our country? Hate him? That's a bit harsh. I don't think whatever he did in his public life was any business of ours or affected the way he played cricket. Sure, he was a bit of a dill at times, but judge what he did on the field, not off.

I'm excited to see what does happen to Australian cricket over the next few years, and see what new talents emerge.

whether he liked it or not he was a public figure, it comes with the territory. I was'nt only talking about what he's done off the field either, are we forgetting his cricket related activities such as dealing with an indian bookie or perhaps that whole banned substance thing.

There's a huge talent pool within the domestic scene. There's plenty of good fast bowlers and spinners going around

Name a couple. I cant been how Voges, Hartley, Cullen, North, and others will fair in the National side. I heard on the news last night, that the last time a mass reshuffle occurred (following the retirements of G.Chappell, R.Marsh and D. Lillee in the early 80's) Australia went into a dark age. Lets hope it doesnt happen again.

All this talk about Shane Warne disgracing our country?? WTF? Hes just a normal aussie bloke that can spin the ball a hell of a way. So what if he has all these sex scandals and is caught with his pants down? He should be remember for what he achieved on the field not what he achieved off it.

Australia have the strength in depth to beat anyone else 9 times out of 10 even without the greatest spin bowler of the last 10 - 15 years.

Glenn McGrath has just announced his retirement from the game as well, he will retire after the World Cup in March. :(

Whose going to beat Australia? Englands best team in a generation - OK with a couple of injuries - is heading for the paint brush (5-0)! India next best possibly - not a chance, Pakistan - nope, SA - shadow of their former selves, West Indies - population gone all American and play basket ball or gone all Premiership and play football (Soccer) so do not have the strength in depth. Sri Lanka need more than one world class player, NZ Play too much Rugby and are too small any way, any one else?

i think india's next. Although i cant see them dominating the world, i can see them as a threat in the upcoming years. Some might say this is impossible, because without Tendulkar they are average, but they have some 1 billion people! A couple of years back i heard that they have 11 million people who play grade cricket. Therefore, 11 million people fighting for 12 positions in the national team. :-o

I hope that, Glenn and Shane will help develop cricket in Australia and find another lethal pair like themselves.

I doubt what happened after Lillee, Marsh and Chappell retired would happen again. Back then, Australia's domestic cricket scene was shite, with no major players on the horizon.

Nowadays it is much better. I'm not saying Warne will be replaced, but give it time. Warne didn't come good until his second year.

Cobol74 said:
Whose going to beat Australia? Englands best team in a generation - OK with a couple of injuries - is heading for the paint brush (5-0)! India next best possibly - not a chance, Pakistan - nope, SA - shadow of their former selves, West Indies - population gone all American and play basket ball or gone all Premiership and play football (Soccer) so do not have the strength in depth. Sri Lanka need more than one world class player, NZ Play too much Rugby and are too small any way, any one else?

Thats being a bit harsh man... Pk is 3rd in Test Rankings and 4th in ODIs... We do have ups and downs though, same with india....Not to forget the recent whitewash India got in ODI, but the performance in the test was excellent.... Pk will have a proper test of talent in SA... WE have been going through a lot of crisis...

Australia won't be affected with the the retirement of Warne and McGrath... I thought Aussies has ended when M Waugh retired ... but they dominated still....

Just had to show this for fun! haha

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSjiTejrhPU[/YOUTUBE]