The End of the Ford Sedan

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-change/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5e3f698631f9

After more than a century-long run, giant automakers like Ford can no longer escape the obvious: The demand for traditional cars is beginning to dry up thanks to the evolving tastes of millennials and baby boomers, experts said.

Ford announced plans late Wednesday to eliminate some of the company’s most well-known cars in North America, including the Fiesta subcompact, Fusion midsize sedan, Taurus large sedan and the C-Max van, according to Ford’s quarterly earnings statement. The decision followed years of declining car sales.

Ford said eliminating most of the company’s cars except for two models will allow the company to focus on their “winning portfolio” in the United States, Canada and Mexico. The Detroit automaker plans to keep the Ford Mustang sports car and a new Focus crossover that the company plans to release next year.

The changes will also allow the company to devote more resources to SUVs and trucks, vehicles that have surged in popularity as consumers continue to lose interest in passenger cars, which no longer have a monopoly on good gas mileage. Ford also plans to bring 16 battery-electric vehicles to market by 2022.

The company’s latest cuts will not affect Lincoln sedans, including the Continental.

“We will refresh our entire lineup of traditional crossovers and SUVs that everyone knows, like Explorer and Escape,” said Jim Farley, Ford’s president of global markets, according to USA Today. “And then we’re going to be introducing and taking capital and redeploying it for also new silhouettes, products that give the customers the utility benefits without the penalty of the fuel economy.”

The push toward SUVs is being driven by a growing number baby boomers and millennial car buyers, both of which favor SUVs over cars and make up a majority of the car-buying market, according to experts.

Unlike sedans, SUVs and crossovers are valued for their versatility, the combination of offering more space, a higher ride off the ground and the ability to accommodate families.

Unlike a decade ago — when a combination of rising gas prices and economic anxiety led consumers to opt for smaller vehicles — a new generation of efficient engines have made SUV purchases a sound choice financially. The reason that many consumers resisted buying SUV’s — bad gas mileage — has been eliminated by “tremendous engineering improvements,” according to Michelle Krebs, an executive analyst at AutoTrader.com.

She said Ford’s decision to invest outside of cars was an obvious answer to changing market conditions, especially as car sales have plummeted over the past two years.

“Ford’s car sales have been abysmal,” she said, noting that she’s expected Ford to abandon the Taurus for years. “They’re king of the truck market and their SUVs do well, but they’re losing money on their cars.”

Robert Kreipke, Ford’s corporate historian emeritus, pointed out that Ford has been defined by more than just cars for more than a half century now, citing the company’s success with pickup trucks like the F-150, which debuted in 1948. Before starting Ford, Kreipke said, Henry Ford — the company’s legendary founder and namesake — had worked on trucks as early as 1899. Ford went on to release its own truck in 1917.

“The Model T set Ford’s reputation as a car company early on, but I’m here to tell you we made a heck of a lot of Model T Ford trucks way back then as well,” Kreipke said. “Ford also made station wagons and Woodies and those were sort of the forerunners of SUVs.”

“The company has been multi-faceted for a long time,” he added.

For some analysts, Ford’s latest move was hailed as decisive and necessary.

“The passenger car rationalization plan is just the sort of bold and decisive action we believe investors have been waiting for,” Ryan Brinkman, an auto analyst at JPMorgan Chase & Co., wrote in a report Thursday, according to Bloomberg. “It is indicative of a management team for whom there are no sacred cows and which seems increasingly likely to pull other such levers to aggressively improve earnings and shareholder value.”

Company officials said the shift was based on declining demand and profitability, but Ford reported $1.7 billion in profit for the first quarter in 2018 — a 9 percent increase, compared with the same period last year.

Fiesta and Taurus could be eliminated from Ford’s offerings as early as next year, but the Fusion could remain in the company’s lineup for several more years, Ford said. The company has already sold 43,176 Fusion Sedans and 35,046 Ford Focus in 2018. Meanwhile, the company has sold 19,164 Mustangs this year.

The company’s stock closed up 2.88 percent Thursday to $11.43.

I can't say that I'm surprised, but I am sad. Our Taurus has been a great car and I like sedans and traditional wagons. Crossovers and the sad blobs that are modern SUVs are the embodiment of compromise. Their handling is worse than a standard car, the ride height is a non-issue unless you are driving off road, and the argument about engines is stupid. Put the same engine in a low slung sedan and you will still get better MPG than a tall crossover based on the same chassis.

Putting more weight higher up always makes everything worse

jack_christie;n3548592 said:
Putting more weight higher up always makes everything worse
Not a boob man I take it then ;)

To me a sedan/wagon is a compromise as well, sports cars have two doors damnit!

prizrak;n3548596 said:
To me a sedan/wagon is a compromise as well, sports cars have two doors damnit!

ever tried to transport 3 kids in a sports car?
it's huge compromise compared to a sedan!

it's only a compromise if it doesn't do what you want...

bone;n3548611 said:
ever tried to transport 3 kids in a sports car?
it's huge compromise compared to a sedan!

it's only a compromise if it doesn't do what you want...

It's a compromise when it tries to do multiple things rather than one thing well. You want a proper sports car? You want a shortish 2 seater that is not comfortable in any way but will be amazing on a twisty road/track. Want to transport 3 kids? Take a minivan (or a 3 row SUV but they are worse at it), because sedans are also not great at it.
Sedans are compromises, they are not as easy to get in and out of as cross overs (because of height), they aren't as sporty as proper sports cars (I don't include my Mustang into proper sports car category before you ask, it's also a compromise), and they are less comfortable* than their taller riding counter parts because they simply don't have the suspension travel or sidewall to deal with bumps. I'm not trying to say that CUVs are not compromised or that they are amazing in any way but I completely disagree with the general notion of sedans/wagons somehow being purist gear head cars.

*If you ever look at Rolls and the like they are actually a lot taller than a typical sedan and are almost half way into CUV territory

prizrak;n3548614 said:
It's a compromise when it tries to do multiple things rather than one thing well. You want a proper sports car? You want a shortish 2 seater that is not comfortable in any way but will be amazing on a twisty road/track. Want to transport 3 kids? Take a minivan (or a 3 row SUV but they are worse at it), because sedans are also not great at it.
Sedans are compromises, they are not as easy to get in and out of as cross overs (because of height), they aren't as sporty as proper sports cars (I don't include my Mustang into proper sports car category before you ask, it's also a compromise), and they are less comfortable* than their taller riding counter parts because they simply don't have the suspension travel or sidewall to deal with bumps. I'm not trying to say that CUVs are not compromised or that they are amazing in any way but I completely disagree with the general notion of sedans/wagons somehow being purist gear head cars.

*If you ever look at Rolls and the like they are actually a lot taller than a typical sedan and are almost half way into CUV territory

Sedans tend to be easier to get in and out of for my elderly in-laws. Crossovers are too high for them to step into or out of easily, I often have to help my mother in law or at least be there to spot her in case she slips. No such issues with our Taurus.

Blind_Io;n3548617 said:
Sedans tend to be easier to get in and out of for my elderly in-laws. Crossovers are too high for them to step into or out of easily, I often have to help my mother in law or at least be there to spot her in case she slips. No such issues with our Taurus.

Which cars though? Some of the newer stuff is lower, I mean something like our X's are way too high in general.

Funnily enough small kids are actually easier with a taller car, because you don't have to bend over nearly as much to get them buckled in and such.

Last edited:
My mom loved her minivan and her Escape, because she doesn't sit to low. It's easier for her to step up slightly than to try to get up from a seat that's lower than her knees.

Sad to read this news, as I was really looking forward to the potential that a Fushion v3 would have had. The last one was a hit, and I was interested to see what they would do next with it.

It's just a short sighted decision. I really don't get it. The sales really aren't that bad.

*Mid* Size

Ford is still doing something right but, that Jetta seems to be doing really well. But, they all pale in comparison to Toyota so....

Full Size

What the full size tells me is that the Taurus really does suck compared to the competitors. My personal experience is that it's weirdly massive on the outside with a cramped feeling inside. It really doesn't have anything to do with being an old design because the charger seems to do ok. I think the Passat sales are low because it's a bit of a no nothing car. I thoroughly enjoyed one that I rented for a week. It just feels like a bigger Jetta which might be part of why it sells low. The Impala I feel is only bought by the retired crowd who want a "good American sedan" and nothing else. I can't stand Chevy's sedans because they have stop start systems that you cannot turn off unlike Ford.

Hatchbacks

Since there's no way to see if the hatch versions of the Focus and Cruze sell better than sedan variants, you're getting both. If there was any vehicle that should go away, the Toyota would be it.

Mid-Size Crossover

Full Size Crossover

Did i hear that right that the new Focus crossover will be made in China for the US?

Yes sir!

93Flareside;n3548658 said:
It's just a short sighted decision. I really don't get it. The sales really aren't that bad.

Are they? Looking at the last few years of the cars they're nearing half what they used to sell, but the larger SUV stuff is staying about same. To me the important question isn't the sales figures, it's how much they're making on those cars. Granted I don't know all the details, but my impression is that the cars they're selling now are all "older" designs and platforms and plenty of the models are probably due for upgrades to keep up with the market if they want to keep competing. Those upgrades will mean retooling and more changes on the lines, which is never a small investment and Ford likely has deemed that investment to keep the cars competitive isn't worth it with lagging sales.

Nabster;n3548678 said:
Are they? Looking at the last few years of the cars they're nearing half what they used to sell, but the larger SUV stuff is staying about same. To me the important question isn't the sales figures, it's how much they're making on those cars. Granted I don't know all the details, but my impression is that the cars they're selling now are all "older" designs and platforms and plenty of the models are probably due for upgrades to keep up with the market if they want to keep competing. Those upgrades will mean retooling and more changes on the lines, which is never a small investment and Ford likely has deemed that investment to keep the cars competitive isn't worth it with lagging sales.
I was thinking something along those lines actually, it's not the raw sales of the sedans but rather the percentage in the portfolio. Anecdotally I don't see many Ford sedans around but Explorers and Escapes are all over the place (along with Mustangs). It's also worth noting that you have to keep in mind competition, if say Ford has 5% (just making shit up) of sedan market but 20% of SUV market it makes sense for them to concentrate on competing in the space where they have a stronger position.

Nabster;n3548678 said:

Around here, there are a ton of Fusions, Escapes, and Explorers. I don't see that many Taurus'. But, somehow, the Charger seems largely untouched by the recent drop. Ford should have invested in a refresh for 2019 or 2020 like most of everyone else even if it was tweaks like a new grill, headlamp, bumper, (as well as maybe tail lights) and some interior material change. Gas prices area already on the way up. The Dodge Grand Caravan's been doing ok and they still have the old U-Connect radio that came in cars like the older Grand Cherokee. The resolution's so bad that it's like SD on an HD display. I don't think a whole new engine and trans is required since most buyers of these don't really know or care.

Dodge has been selling nearly the same two cars since 2006 with minor body, interior, and engine changes ignoring the hellcat. Why can't Ford?

Last edited:
93Flareside;n3548705 said:
Dodge has been selling nearly the same two cars since 2006 with minor body, interior, and engine changes ignoring the hellcat. Why can't Ford?
And look how well it's worked out for them (hint: they got bought by some Italians)

Here is an interesting Q & A on the end of the Ford car line up as we know it.

Let's be honest, we've all seen dumber and uglier cars than that make it to production.

They are going to call it the Mach 1...