The English Countryside

Yes but that's filled with French people acting French, been on vacation in France once, nearly got deported.....

Howbout Holland? Everybody is always stoned and as a result most people are sufferable.

Thanks errbody!

Good call on Aberdeen, as a native Houstonian I want nothing to do with a big-oil city. This is a lot of input so I'll have to wade through it, but it's much appreciated. My plan was to stay mainly in hostels, camping sounds fun tho! Most of my budget would go to food and drink, because what better way to enjoy a country than buzzed and stuffed? I think I saw in one post that I should buy a rail ticket before the trip, good point on that one. And I would NEVER call a Scotsman English, being Scottish myself.

Yorkshire and Derbyshire have some beautiful places to visit, and some great roads too. But I would say that, because I'm from there. :p

They're incredibly touristy though. Most the main roads in places near to Chatsworth House/Haddon Hall and Bakewell are always incredibly busy. Frustrating for locals to say the least. :p

As for the comment about Whitby - don't! There's a reason why its got the nickname "Sh*tby"

Good luck.

Last edited:
^ Curious now, why int t'hell is Whitby shite? o_O

The closest i've been to Whitby is Robin Hoods Bay.
But regardless, no matter how nice Whitby is, you don't travel from America to go there.

Thanks errbody!

Good call on Aberdeen, as a native Houstonian I want nothing to do with a big-oil city. This is a lot of input so I'll have to wade through it, but it's much appreciated. My plan was to stay mainly in hostels, camping sounds fun tho! Most of my budget would go to food and drink, because what better way to enjoy a country than buzzed and stuffed? I think I saw in one post that I should buy a rail ticket before the trip, good point on that one. And I would NEVER call a Scotsman English, being Scottish myself.

Do you mean it like this: http://forums.finalgear.com/nsfw/getting-stuffed-47513/ :angel:

Last edited:
The closest i've been to Whitby is Robin Hoods Bay.
But regardless, no matter how nice Whitby is, you don't travel from America to go there.

My boyfriend wanted to go there when he came over. o_O And he wanted to go to Thirsk too. Personally I'd kick about in North Yorkshire an' Lancashire for a while before moving on. York an' Brimham Rocks, Lancaster and the Forest of Bowland.

It's like Skegness int it? What's Skegness got that Whitby doesn't? Well apart from a Butlins. :p

^ Curious now, why int t'hell is Whitby shite? o_O

Haha, it's just a running joke between me and some friends. Got there via the train and the "Welcome to Whitby" sign had been vandalised so it said "Welcome to Sh*tby."

It was also incredibly busy. I prefer quiet places myself, so that wasn't ideal, and it was so busy to the point you could hardly walk on the pavement there were so many people. Some idiot also managed to run over my foot with a kid in a pram too. One of the areas of beach we went on had quite a lot of litter about as well. So yeah, me and Whitby aren't on the best of terms, I'll put it that way.

If you go to Scotland, check out the Spey Bay area, nice countryside, beautiful sea views and relatively warm, plus there are loads of small fishing towns you could visit and Inverness is only an hours train ride away from Elgin. You might have to transfer through Aberdeen to get there, but only use Aberdeen as a waypoint or place to access good transport is my advice, I lived there for three years and hated it.

I'm local to the area, myself, so enquire away and I'll help as I can. :)

If you go to Scotland, check out the Spey Bay area, nice countryside, beautiful sea views and relatively warm, plus there are loads of small fishing towns you could visit and Inverness is only an hours train ride away from Elgin. You might have to transfer through Aberdeen to get there, but only use Aberdeen as a waypoint or place to access good transport is my advice, I lived there for three years and hated it.

I'm local to the area, myself, so enquire away and I'll help as I can. :)
Lovely area, but wayyyy too far North unless you get an internal flight. Better to go to the West coast, better roads and closer to England/Glasgow.

While were here, Newcastle to Edinburgh by car, nicest route scenerywise , A68 through northhumberland national park or A1 along the coast?

Last edited:
You have to start Friday/Saturday night... so many whores, so little time.
TBF I've been to Newcastle exactly once, and really rather liked it. No, it wasn't a Friday or Saturday night - it was for a job interview in the early 90s (I was offered the job but was also offered another one elsewhere, paying more; I often wonder what my life would be like if I had taken the job in Nukie instead).

While were here, Newcastle to Edinburgh by car, nicest route scenerywise , A68 through northhumberland national park or A1 along the coast?

I always do the A68 down to Newcastle 'cause I think it's quicker. I don't through Jedburgh though. I don't like Jedburgh...