The F1 Technical Developments Thread

150724.jpg

I doubt Ferrari will use the f-duct in the race or quali. It's way too complex to just try for a few hours before you race with it.

Also, is it only me or does Renault seem to really thrive being an independent team now? Their developement speed is quite remarkable. They seem to bring good updates for every single race...

Think your right, they are on the right track. It's seems that with downsizing the team, every update doesn't need to go through several group to be approved. They pretty much don't need to go through several red tapes in order to develop the car.

Their developement speed is quite remarkable. They seem to bring good updates for every single race...

Last two years it was similar. Especially in 2008 Renault was the team which made the biggest progress during the season.

I thought the Sauber attempt at an F-duct has so far not borne too much fruit...

Well, Sauber with McL had the best top speeds. At the moment in FP2 in China Sauber is the fastest and McLaren second. So it looks that F-duct is working on both cars.

Ferrari also had their version of the F-duct out today. The inlet is hole mounted on the airbox, so I'm a little confused how they manage to make it driver operated (if that is the case)?

097AK1T0JX4S5C049JWG10Q5HFGG_450.jpg

Well, according to James Allen twitter:

#f1 - Alo's Ferrari with F duct rear wing is only 1km slower through speed trap than McLaren

ScarbsF1 said:
China: Ferrari confirm their blown rear wing is not complete, hence the full F-Duct set up will appear at another race.

http://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/12275806276

150792.jpg

In the first practice in China, Ferrari unveiled their new rear wing, which features a blown flap in a similar manner to McLaren. Mclaren have infamously produced the F-Duct which uses a duct controlled by the driver to alter airflow around the rear wing to stall it at high speed to gain more top speed. Is this an F-Duct as used by McLaren, may be not. Unlike the McLaren and Saubers set ups, the Ferrari solution does not appear to have the driver interacting with the duct. Instead the wing is fed with airflow coming from an inlet high up on the engine cover, well away from the drivers reach. It is possible that the there is additional ducting inside the car that does allow the driver to control airflow through the duct. But so far no signs of a driver controlled inlet around the cockpit are evident. It could be Ferraris set up uses pure aerodynamics to affect the duct, by choking at high speed (safely well above the maximum corner speed).

Latest: Alonso to Autosport.com ?I had nothing inside the cockpit because the system is not complete. We tested the engine cover to compare it with the standard one. I didn?t notice anything. I guess there will some new numbers from an aero point of view.?
We will update this post as more info emerges over the weekend.
http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/04/16/china-ferrari-introduce-a-blown-rear-wing/

Last edited:
That doesn't explain why Ferrari matches McLaren in the speed traps? :b

It's practice. They are all playing around with wings. Doesn't matter now anyway as it was only intended to be tested in FP1. It was removed in FP2.

Last edited:
It's possible that the Ferrari system only works when the car reaches a certain speed, whereas the McLaren system can be operated at will from the driver (potentially able to use it earlier on straights for more of an advantage).

The commentary team were discussing it today and claimed it's only known as an F-duct because of it's proximity to a sponsor logo on the McLaren.

Last edited:
The Ferrari system wasn't complete when they tested it in FP1. They stated it several places. There's not much to discuss. ;)