The F1 Technical Developments Thread

Merc's system:

ta_article_740.jpg

Mercedes have introduced a simpler, and more experimental version of McLaren's current rear wing solution. Like on the Ferrari, there isn't an F-duct, and the air doesn't flow inside the engine cover fin. Two small openings (1) feed airflow through an aero channel to two slots on the back of the flap (2). The system has been tested by both drivers and is controlled by pressure sensors on both surfaces of the wing.

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2010/827/740.html

How does those two small slots disrupt flow? And does it come out of the quarter circle thing?

Apparently the Merc thing is just a little test thing to see how thing's might work out when they bring the real rear-wing-stalling-device/f-duct system.

I think I'd agree with that, because if it would be controlled by pressure sensors, I don't believe it would be able to pass as race worthy.

The Ferrari system wasn't complete when they tested it in FP1. They stated it several places. There's not much to discuss. ;)

Well, one thing is what a team says, another is how things really are.

Downplaying your performance can turn out to be an advantage..

Not saying it is the case here, just that you should'nt believe everything a team says about their performance.

According to the SPEED TV coverage of the F1 event, the Ferrari F-Duct system uses two vents, one on either side of the airbox. The system only works when both vents are receiving similar intake loads, which evidently only occur on straights. When the car enters a turn, the load on one side or the other is lower and that prevents the vent from working and stalling the wing, so downforce is not affected.

Well, I don't think so. It should work the other way round. Stalling the wing on straights and making downforce in a corner.

According to the SPEED TV coverage of the F1 event, the Ferrari F-Duct system uses two vents, one on either side of the airbox. The system only works when both vents are receiving similar intake loads, which evidently only occur on straights. When the car enters a turn, the load on one side or the other is lower and that prevents the vent from working and stalling the wing, so downforce is not affected.

That's just what you call a "blown wing". For example BMW already had it in 2009.

Interesting was that in FP1 di Resta had outboard mirrors (don't know how about Sutil). But some time ago I read that all this mirrors thing isn't big deal for FI aero package.

Interesting was that in FP1 di Resta had outboard mirrors (don't know how about Sutil). But some time ago I read that all this mirrors thing isn't big deal for FI aero package.

That really looked like a flower on top a piece of soil. It felt like "oh, inwards ? Lets stuck it here then." kind of placement with no other designs LOL.

Why don't they got to the marvelous design from early 2009? Those curved mirror holders FTW!

sunpic9.jpg

I should think they gave a bit of extra downforce..=)

Formula One bosses are considering a switch to turbocharged 1.5-litre engines from 2013, according to a report.

The move is designed to attract new sponsors, teams and manufacturers to the sport, as well as promoting the sport?s ?green? credentials, according to a ?highly reliable? source quoted by pitpass.com.
F1 bosses are currently trying to secure a return for KERS in 2011, but the source said the talks ?were only half the story? and longer-term changes to engine regulations were at the centre of the discussions. Most manufacturers, as well as the FIA, are said to be pushing towards downsized powerplants more relevant to road cars, but Ferrari in particular is believed to be leading the resistance.
Another insider quoted by the website said, ?A number of possible engine configurations are being looked at but all at a sensitive stage. [There is a big push] for current units to remain [for cost reasons] but the FIA is keen on a step change in technology.?

One such manufacturer which has talked about entering the sport, should it improve its image and drive down costs, is Volkswagen. The German firm has pencilled in 2013 as the date it could potentially enter F1, either by setting up a team from scratch or buying into Williams.

Michelin has also this week talked about a return to F1, but has imposed several conditions on the FIA: it wants a switch to 18-inch rims to make its F1 tyres more relevant to its road and sports car programmes, and it wants the sport to be doing more for the environment.

Turbocharging was first introduced to F1 by Renault in 1977, but the 1000bhp-plus units were eventually banned by the FIA for the 1989 season.
Sauce...
I think this would be great... :D

Oh for fucks sake, enough with the stupid changes!! Screw eco crap, give back 3.0l V10 and 20.000 RPM and everyone will be happy.

Not some wimpy 1.5...god, an F1 car with the same size engine as a Toyota Prius...please...no.