The F1 Technical Developments Thread

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sc/schumacherm/2010/05/09/5yBfs.jpg

362_medium.jpg

Last edited:
F-duct banned for next year. This kind of stuff really pisses me off. They come up with an innovation, great. Then they say it's legal, OK. But then, after everyone will have copied it for an advantage THIS season, why the hell would you ban it for next?

Seriously.... cost cutting my ass. I am sure this was not a unanimous decision. The two teams quoted were teams that couldn't get the system to work. "It's irrelevant to road car development". Pathetic :lol:.

One of the main reason is other teams talking about where developement of these kind of devices will lead, with security in mind.

F-duct banned for next year. This kind of stuff really pisses me off. They come up with an innovation, great. Then they say it's legal, OK. But then, after everyone will have copied it for an advantage THIS season, why the hell would you ban it for next?

Driving a F1 car with only one hand on the straights is not an entirely safe activity. Plus, Alonso was already driving with one hand at the beginning of the last turn this weekend.

Driving a F1 car with only one hand on the straights is not an entirely safe activity. Plus, Alonso was already driving with one hand at the beginning of the last turn this weekend.

Lets ban visor tear offs, and in other racing series, lets ban stickshifts. Arguably, rally drivers do the most dangerous form of motor racing and they did fine taking one hand off the wheel to shift gears and whatnot.

I don't bind the BS safety smokescreen

They can drive just fine with one hand, and next year the system would be leg operated anyway. Well, the not relevant to road cars... alot of stuff isn't. This is racing after all. Half of the car should be banned, because it's not relevant to road car development...

BS

I say, keep the DDD and F-ducts, and get rid of all the cascades and artisticly formed front wing sideplates. Make wings a LOT simpler, and don't change anything else. Wings are the problem.

Lets ban visor tear offs, and in other racing series, lets ban stickshifts. Arguably, rally drivers do the most dangerous form of motor racing and they did fine taking one hand off the wheel to shift gears and whatnot.

I don't bind the BS safety smokescreen

Apparently F1 drivers are useless and can't drive a car on a straight with one hand... It's not safe!

BS.

Good Riddance!

I'm sorry I think this is going down the slippery slope towards active aerodynamics....just like when they banned flexible wings.

All this points to the excessive aero dependence everybody has. Sorry ban it.

Oh and don't you love the language: Its because of safety....piss off! That has to be the lamest excuse ever (still for banning the F-duct tho)

Yeah, I actually don't mind the banning so much as I do the excuses they made for the reasonings behind it :lol:.

The thing is, though, if they are taking this step, they should just go a little bit further and just reduce the wing efficiency as well. Get rid of endplates or something, both on the front and rear :p

IIRC DDD is a big source of turbulence behind the car.

Everything on the car produces massive turbulence behind the car. But without those ultra sensitive front wings, it would not be a big deal.

At one point Alonso was driving with no hands, he was blocking the duct with his left and then adjusting the brake bias with his right, the brake bias lever is on the left side so he had to cross his body with his arm to do it unsurprisingly he missed the apex of the corner by a lot.

...Budgets and the like...

...Budgets and the like...

Interesting stuff! F1 team budgets for this year!

Ferrari ?260m
McLaren ?137m
Mercedes ?173m
Williams ?85m
Renault ?134m
Red Bull Racing ?134m
Toro Rosso ?82m
Force India ?78m
Sauber ?46m
Lotus ?52m
Virgin ?36m
HRT ?33m

I understand that Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault all have engine programs that are probably added into their estimated spending figures....but...cripes....I knew Ferrari where rich but damn....maybe money doesn't buy success...

This also makes me worry about Williams....I have a sad feeling they are going the way of the old Lotus team :cry:

Oh Added a linky...

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=40573