The F1 Technical Developments Thread

Guys, it's not about reducing the drag at the airbox, it's about airflow to the rear wing. lower airbox=cleaner airflow to the rear wing, that's all.

Guys, it's not about reducing the drag at the airbox, it's about airflow to the rear wing. lower airbox=cleaner airflow to the rear wing, that's all.

That's what I'm saying. If there's drag reduction it's very small. The most important is better airflow management. When there isn't anything in the way its easier to channel the air around the car to the rear components (and rear wing is the most important of them).

06052010.jpg

134wri10.jpg

135.jpg

055_210.jpg

314wri.jpg

310wri.jpg

308wri.jpg

306wri.jpg

152350.jpg

Bonus:

fripic6.jpg

Fragile? Nooo. :lol:

I am completely in love with that Red Bull front wing when viewed from the top. McLaren should stick that onto their car and it would look perfect :)

They should go back to single plane front wings. Not only would they look 10000000x better, they should make it easier to follow in the dirty air.

A certain Ross Brawn would disagree:

According Brawn (AMuS), the change also brings better engine cooling, in addition to a better flow to the rear wing and reduced drag.
AMuS says that the aero updates alone should bring 0,3-0,4 seconds gain, without taking into account the laptime improvement the extended wheelbase should bring.

I don't see how that disagrees :rolleyes: He's just saying that the better flow to the rear wing decreases drag, which is fine.

Well, you specifically said that it's not about reducing the drag at the airbox. So in that sense, I'd say yes, it's disagree :p

But he never said it was about drag reduction at the airbox, and I still don't think it is. He says it reduces drag, right after he says it cleans up flow to the rear wing. Which means it's probably the rear wing drag that's being decreased as I said, not the airbox.

perhaps, i can still see a drag reduction there, im sure the little write up on the BBC said just that too.

anyway, i wonder how this affects the engine........... with the airbox in the usual position you have the air coming in and being turned down towards the engine intakes. Mclaren showed us some CFD where they basically time the inlet valve openings with the pressure pulses set up by the rushing air. as the air comes in, it bounces of the top of the engine and then reflects off the air box structure and back down. they can get a ram effect from this, hence volumetric efficiencies well above 100% despite no forced induction (standard road car can be anywhere between 80-90% volumetric efficiency.... i.e. 10% of the cylinders volume isnt used for charge, its just not filled.)

but with the ducts moved down abit, and to the side, that air wont be entering and turning straight down anymore.

I heard the FIA was going to ban the F-Duct for the next season. I was thinking... wasn't it easier to just ban it this year instead of making every team spend bucketloads of money copying McLaren's duct, which be useless next year?

Same thing for the DDD, teams have spent a fortune on designing and perfectioning DDDs after last season, just to ban them for next year... I thought the FIA was trying to reduce costs?

I seriously doubt they'll ban the F-duct, but as for the DDD it's true. And it was the same for KERS, and for the tyres now. You can't cut costs, be green, AND solve overtaking all at the same time.

I seriously doubt they'll ban the F-duct, but as for the DDD it's true. And it was the same for KERS, and for the tyres now. You can't cut costs, be green, AND solve overtaking all at the same time.

You could. Limit the complexity of aerodynamics, allow active suspension (which was once in use in F1 and is used in other series, so it only has to be updated/adapted) -both at the same time cutting costs (less wind tunnel testing, re-using already existing hardware) and making overtaking easier- switch back to smaller turbo engines and, most of all, stop fiddling with the rules every season. If there's a loophole, let there be one. Don't close it and thus re-start development.

Ah, but simply doing everything you just said would be a HUGE cost to teams.

Ah, but simply doing everything you just said would be a HUGE cost to teams.

Not bigger than all the rule changes implemented by now for the next seasons which will most likely not solve anything.