The F1 Technical Developments Thread

Exactly.
This is testing. It's futile to read too much into them.
You should always look at the big picture.

TEAMS TODAY TRY RADICAL AND DIFFERENT THINGS !!
It's good news for the spectators and for the sport.

Stop bein an idiot.
There's no way McLaren or any other team goes through 2 failed cars and don't learn anything from them.
No way. It's simple logic.

I didn't say such thing.
I said no parts of the 18 and 19 filtered down to the 20. Yes, McLaren learned to keep all that was 18 and 19 away forever, it didn't work (well the 19B had a little late success, but it was abandoned)
The 20 was a brand new platform

Even when teams fail. The experiment is still worth it later on. Always. If nothing else then atleast they know what not to do.
Yes, for a good example of this look at the Failed 1986 Brabham BT55, from which designer Gordon Murray learned a lot, and with a few changes and better mechanicals managed to turn into the dominant 1988 McLaren MP4-4.

The good parts of the 18 actually ended up on the 17-d and then the 19.

red bull steering wheel
rbrwheel.jpg

an F1 car has a reverse??

an F1 car has a reverse??

Yes, and cars have been penalised/disqualified on rare occasions if it was found to be defective. Although... the only occasion I can remember reading about was disallowing a car's Saturday qualifying times in a race in '91.

Last edited:
They do have reverse but I think they try hard to avoid using it because since the gearboxes are so brittle it may damage it by using it(?).

Also, 'KERS Activation' is not done by that button. That button is extremely likely for calibration. In 2009 they had a lever at the back of the steering wheel to activiate it - I can only assume it's the same setup today. McLaren and Ferrari do it this way, both with KERS and DRS.

Last edited:
Excellent, now you can tell me what DRS is.

I think they avoid using it because I read somewhere (don't ask for source, I honestly don't remember) that to use reverse you have to work it with the clutch paddles behind the steering wheel, and that basically all you'll manage is to do a backwards start (very fast and hard to control)

Would also find it odd if the KERS activation was in such a faraway place... you need it at the tip of your fingers, you never know when an attack could come that needs defending.

Would also find it odd if the KERS activation was in such a faraway place... you need it at the tip of your fingers, you never know when an attack could come that needs defending.

look again, there are 2 buttons for KERS. a dial in the middle (to calibrate it or sth), and a pushbutton close to his left hand (to activate it)

Anyone here thinks of Red Bull's KERS implementation might be called illegal soon? JA on F1's latest article is on it.

Anyone here thinks of Red Bull's KERS implementation might be called illegal soon? JA on F1's latest article is on it.

You got a link for that?

Vettel wasn't using KERS in quali and it seemed like Webber was not using it while dueling with Alonso. Whatever system they got installed, it's not being used. Did not notice if it was used at the start.
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the batteries have a minimum weight? This 'lightweight start only KERS' sounds weird.

After the first test with fire of the DRS, it seems it's really bad news following a car (that has a similar pace - Webber Alonso today) now, it just destroys the tyres:
While following:
- As always, less downforce, more tyre wear.
- Using the DRS means a faster speed by the end of the straight but not necessarely an overtake -> Need to brake harder -> more tyre wear
- KERS could mean a bit more wear for the rear tyres

So being behind someone and not being able to pass is really bad news

Horner said on the BBC after the race that RB took KERS off the car for quali and the race; they may have run it briefly on Friday, but they were very guarded about the whole thing when asked post-race.

Horner said on the BBC after the race that RB took KERS off the car for quali and the race; they may have run it briefly on Friday, but they were very guarded about the whole thing when asked post-race.

it was more they were guarded pre-race. Afterwards Horner said very bluntly "no, we didn't run KERS" and said they did run it on friday but Newey didn't think it was working properly so they took it all off for the rest of the weekend.

It was only pre-race that they were all hush-hush about it