The F1 Technical Developments Thread

who said that? the sound will be even higher pitched than it is now!

Yes 10k revs will be much louder than 18k.

12000rpm!

and yes, due to high boost, high compression and anti lag systems the sound will be crazy!

it's the F1 thread! please do go into detail!

i think it's safe to say they both have exhaust gasses coming from underneath the diffuser?

here is an image of the system McLaren tried pre season (similar to red bull), but couldn't get to work properly (unlike red bull)

The problem is that you have to take a step back and consider the options. The exhaust provides the potential to locally energize some flow, but what flow to energize? Just shoving it under the floor does little.

Here's a clue, what does the strake below the arrow do?

ta_article_726.jpg

Where would it be in this diagram?

rbr_of_ebd.jpg

Last edited:
new exhaust for McLaren
yy3zeh.jpg

and front wing for sauber
d11esp17.jpg

Last edited:
But who's the "we" of your conspiracy? If i remember correctly, all top teams used these things last year as well. McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes have nothing to gain from this as it will hit them just like it hits the RBR. I don't know enough about how this aero stuff works to say what it means for Renaults front exhaust, but as far as i understood that needs a steady airflow as well, in which case they won't gain an advantage, too.

EDIT: Hasn't the "blown diffuser" concept made it's way down the pecking order all the way to Team Lotus by now? Or, other way round, are there any teams except of HRT and Virgin who don't run an exhaust-blown diffuser or are (were?) planning to introduce one in Barcelona?

Williams complained to the Fia or as they said went to the Fia to double check it's legality before they invested in the technology because they didn't believe it was legal. This seems to be a route that Cosworth doesn't want to go down seeing as how it's only their clients who aren't running this type of system.

Williams complained to the Fia or as they said went to the Fia to double check it's legality before they invested in the technology because they didn't believe it was legal. This seems to be a route that Cosworth doesn't want to go down seeing as how it's only their clients who aren't running this type of system.

Seeing this statement I feel that Williams needs to get a "prim and proper" engine supplier. Should be a client for Renault since they were looking to supply a fourth team...

Seeing this statement I feel that Williams needs to get a "prim and proper" engine supplier. Should be a client for Renault since they were looking to supply a fourth team...

Yes Renault is looking to supply a fourth team but isn't there a rule or a gentlemans agreement between engine suppliers that says supplying 3 teams is the maximum?
I read it somewhere but i can't find a link anymore. I wonder why Cosworth is not competitive in F1 anymore... I think the engine in the Williams has something to do with their awful pace.

Yes Renault is looking to supply a fourth team but isn't there a rule or a gentlemans agreement between engine suppliers that says supplying 3 teams is the maximum?
I read it somewhere but i can't find a link anymore. I wonder why Cosworth is not competitive in F1 anymore... I think the engine in the Williams has something to do with their awful pace.

let's see what they can come up with for 2013. i think cosworth has a lot more expertise with turbocharging than NA

You CAN supply a fourth, just needs the other 3 (Renault, Lotus Renault and also, RBR) to agree. Then you can, IIRC.

And I share your sentiments the engine is making the Williams suck. Big.

I wonder why Cosworth is not competitive in F1 anymore...

Remember that Cosworth get a fraction of the development cash that the front teams do. Their total R&D budget from 4 teams is less than some single teams spend.

And after all that effort the engine gets put into something crap anyway.

Completely off topic but still best in this thread:

I just realized my Maths lecturer is the guy who invented the interter damper...How cool is THAT? :D

Continued from the Monaco thread...

That comparison is quite weak. DRS and KERS have VERY specific rules on it's use and amount of advantage turbo and superchargers can't effectively be governed by similar rules e.g. you can't have a turbo/supercharger only work for a few seconds every lap without seriously screwing up the engine.

KERS would be fine if it's use was unlimited, the power can be limited but it's duration and conditions shouldn't. I've already mentioned why DRS is whack in the other thread.

We are talking about F1 here, if you know anything then you know that they would find a way to govern the blower or the spinner to only work at a certain period of time. you know they could and thats my point.

As far as KERS and DRS, well i disagree with the KERS idea you have because i just think it works better as a one area thing. with the DRS, i think its great for the sport. Im like a little kid when i see that wing flap open. it looks great and to the first time fan im sure they see the same thing.

Now, i have seen you say this on one or two occasion during this "argument". You say
Been watching the sport for years and know more than you'll ever know about the tech, engineering, and physics of these cars. Thank you, come again.

Please explain this, are you an aero engineer or just a fan with lots of knowledge? im asking because you seem to know what your talking about(?). Im guessing you have a PHD in some form of engineering based on the fact that you are claiming more intelligence on the subject. I dont know you so i wont assume your being dumb here but if you have an engineering PHD and your only 23 then you are very capable of telling the people here how things work. My guess is you dont and on that point you shouldnt assume you know more. As was pointed out in the last thread, you should reread the rules. i dont mind debating with you but you need to refrain from calling people names and insulting intelligence. people from all over the world and all walks of life are in this forum and you have no knowledge of who they are or what they do. lets cut with the name calling and the assumptions. you might be very surprised and humbled to find who you are talking to. reply?

Completely off topic but still best in this thread:

I just realized my Maths lecturer is the guy who invented the interter damper...How cool is THAT? :D

Way cool! Most of my lecturers are boring, but I know a Russian one that always bangs on about russian airplanes and gun technology, and how it's superior. :lol:

Please explain this, are you an aero engineer or just a fan with lots of knowledge? im asking because you seem to know what your talking about(?). Im guessing you have a PHD in some form of engineering based on the fact that you are claiming more intelligence on the subject. I dont know you so i wont assume your being dumb here but if you have an engineering PHD and your only 23 then you are very capable of telling the people here how things work. My guess is you dont and on that point you shouldnt assume you know more. As was pointed out in the last thread, you should reread the rules. i dont mind debating with you but you need to refrain from calling people names and insulting intelligence. people from all over the world and all walks of life are in this forum and you have no knowledge of who they are or what they do. lets cut with the name calling and the assumptions. you might be very surprised and humbled to find who you are talking to. reply?

Stfu cellos is one of the most intelligent men living amongst us today and you should be honoured to be in his presence. Now sit down and worship ferrari.

Been watching the sport for years and know more than you'll ever know about the tech, engineering, and physics of these cars. Thank you, come again.

Perfect timing then... further up in the thread you'll see i've been unsubtly hinting how the blown diffusers work. So far no one has put two and two together... perhaps you could bring your massive intellect to bear on the problem.

Perfect timing then... further up in the thread you'll see i've been unsubtly hinting how the blown diffusers work. So far no one has put two and two together... perhaps you could bring your massive intellect to bear on the problem.

At scarbsf1.wordpress.com you can find how all kinds (from this and last year) of blown diffusers work. For example Renault front exhaust helps in different way than blowing over the top, etc. You have all explained there.

At scarbsf1.wordpress.com you can find how all kinds (from this and last year) of blown diffusers work. For example Renault front exhaust helps in different way than blowing over the top, etc. You have all explained there.

He's done very well with 'exhausts pop out here', but he never quite manages to explain why a configuration is actually better.