The F1 Technical Developments Thread

The amount of mentioning of "True F1 Fan" on the last page reminds me of Manowar's lyrics. And not in a good way.

DEATH TO FALSE METAL

buemi said on the flying lap that since canada is a rather high speed track, all teams will come up with dedicated front and rear wings, to get the top speed up

if there's on thing where red bull doesn't humiliate the opposition, it's top speed, go McLaren!! :p

buemi said on the flying lap that since canada is a rather high speed track, all teams will come up with dedicated front and rear wings, to get the top speed up

if there's on thing where red bull doesn't humiliate the opposition, it's top speed, go McLaren!! :p

it would be great if they showed up with the f-duct set-up as a joke! that would fuck with people :)

are you asking the right person?

anyways, back to the tech dev thread, whats new? what can we expect for Canada? anything new?

Just explaining my rationale for the comment.

anyways, back to the tech dev thread, whats new? what can we expect for Canada? anything new?

As bone says, Canada requires a race specific aero package (like Monaco), now it could be that one or two teams come up with a really clever solution (probably relating to DRS on a low downforce wing) but more likely is that they're saving the development effort for the standard car configs.

I looked at creating an app like that a while back, sadly even with the GPU you can't run something of sufficient fidelity to be accurate.

Shan't bore with technical details, but Wind Tunnel is somewhat oversimplified.

Well yeah it is, but it's still a great attempt non the less. The grid size is absolutely minute in comparison to what you would use on a computer. You'd normally do some kind of mesh independence study to find out just how few cells you can get away with. Still I like it because you can use it to explain the very basics to people who don't have a clue.

I think they are making an android version but it's iDevice only for now.

Oh and technical details would be much appreciated. Always up for learning something. Send us a PM if you don't wanna clutter this thread up.

Last edited:
Random question but I'm sure there will be people who can furnish me with details.
What was the first car to reach 200mph during an event (quali or race)? Or would this feat have been achieved before we had accurate/consistently used speed measuring devices?

On the topic of CFD, is there any software like the one mentioned in the last page where you can draw your own shape or model it in 3d and have a simulation run on it... ? Preferably free.

OpenFOAM? I think what you're really looking for is something that's easy to use... and i'm afraid not.

Unfortunately, I think the answer to your question is no. There are free programs for airfoils out there because there are fairly straight forward approximations for airfoils that get decent results (Xfoil is one), but once you get into arbitrary shapes, those estimations go out the window. You're then looking at programs such as FLUENT which are not only expensive, but very difficult to use.

We use CFX at uni and at work. The only free one I know is Openfoam. It requires linux to run.

An F1 rear wing is hard enough to model using full CFD, you're unlikely to find anything that'll give you an accurate flow.

...as Virgin Racing found out the hard way.