The F1 Technical Developments Thread

Probably been talked about a few pages back, but can't be arsed going through it, so I'll ask if there's much info on who's doing what with the new engine regs next year?
Ferrari says that they already got their new engine fired up.

Lmfao I have no idea where you even got that from. Stop flame/troll baiting.
And stop abusing the report button.

All of you need to quit the bitching at each other before we turn the whole damn section off. You are getting out of hand.

Isn't there an engine development freeze?

They can't develop the engines they're using right now. Nothing is said about grabbing a bunch of money and developing the new spec turbo engines. You can't come up with an engine from the blue in the end of the season-start of the new season couple of months...

They can't develop the engines they're using right now. Nothing is said about grabbing a bunch of money and developing the new spec turbo engines. You can't come up with an engine from the blue in the end of the season-start of the new season couple of months...

Right got it. Hope they sound good :p

They will probably sound like a bit muffled version of what they do now... I'm thinking the rev limit is not to be changed, but feel free to correct me on that.

revlimit will be lowered from 18K to 15K...

I learned something interesting watching free practice on sky at the weekend. The teams currently have to pre-select 30 different gear ratios for the season right at the start which they must then choose from for each race, but when the new engines come in they will only be able to pre-select 8. This could create some very interesting situations.

They will, its still a V configuration. The I-4s are what sound like poop when revved to the moon.

and they'll most likely have a compression ratio, and the higher the compression ratio, the better the sound!

I learned something interesting watching free practice on sky at the weekend. The teams currently have to pre-select 30 different gear ratios for the season right at the start which they must then choose from for each race, but when the new engines come in they will only be able to pre-select 8. This could create some very interesting situations.

they'll have an 8 speed gearbox they won't be able to change during the year
why is beyond me though. not like changing some gear is hard or expensive...
(they will still be allowed to change the diff ratio? right? if not some will look foolish in monaco, and other will look foolish on monza...)

Last edited:
(they will still be allowed to change the diff ratio? right? if not some will look foolish in monaco, and other will look foolish on monza...)

This is what I was led to believe. Only 8 different ratios for the year and they must be declared at the beggining of the season, with 1 or 2 'joker ratios' in case a team gets it really wrong and needs to change it.

I dunno, I don't really like those ideas. Part of competing as a team is "getting things right" and playing with the gear ratios surely is part of that. It's quite silly, why not issue a spec car and be done with the torture of seeing F1 die slowly?

The gear ratio stuff is especially strange. Doesn't changing the gear ratios just mean you just stick some different numbers into the laptop?

The gear ratio stuff is especially strange. Doesn't changing the gear ratios just mean you just stick some different numbers into the laptop?

Having posted a question on about gearboxes awhile back, I don't think so?

no, top speed is set by top rpm * ratio
and since top rpm and the gearbox are set, the diff is the only thing left to change..