The F1 Technical Developments Thread

Doesn't changing the gear ratios just mean you just stick some different numbers into the laptop?

If it was a CVT, sure. But alas, no, a gear ratio, in the simplest terms, is the ratio in angular velocity (rotational velocity) between the input and output gear. This value can also be determined by the ratio of the gear teeth of the two gears.

I hope this post doesn't sound condescending, if it does, my apologies. If your post was sarcastic, I'm sorry for having a broken sarcasm scanner.

Last edited:
http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2012/9/13821.html said:
Some drivers have been complaining about the rear wing overheating. Was that an issue for you too?

Holy shit that can happen?

With teams trying everything to use the exhaust for extra air speed over aerodynamic bits, it doesn't surprise me if they tried to direct some of it upwards into the wing...
That's dangerous though, carbon fiber as most materials loses strength when heated, correct?

With teams trying everything to use the exhaust for extra air speed over aerodynamic bits, it doesn't surprise me if they tried to direct some of it upwards into the wing...
That's dangerous though, carbon fiber as most materials loses strength when heated, correct?

No that would be cool as heck. Imagine going down a straight at 300kph with carbon fibre streaming off the back off your car, HOW BALLER WOULD THAT LOOK.

I kid, that would be scary as fuck actually. The melting point for CF is quite high though, no?

Last edited:
Melting point, yes, but you don't need much heat to start losing strength on components... like steel. I don't recall the exact figures, but pretend it melts at 1000 degrees... while at 400 it already lost 50% of its strength (which is how it's thought the world trade center collapsed even if jet fuel doesn't burn as high as steel's melting temp)

Oh I see. How hot is an F1 car's exhaust then? I imagine it's about as hot as a road car, just a lot more of it. :p

Well....

BMW-Motor-c890x594-ffffff-C-cb38d66-501837.jpg

I suppose it runs cooler once there's 200mph worth of airflow dissipating the heat but still.

Last edited:
The melting point of carbon fiber isn't your worry (I don't think carbon fiber melts at all); it's the melting point of the resin that is the issue. That melts much sooner. I have seen numerous pictures of F1 cars where the floors right beneath the exhaust are obviously disfigured due to, what I assume, is messed up resin.

I just read that F1 wheels are made from magnesium. Is this true? If so, how come when cars get punctures, the wheels don't burst into flames?

Not pure magnesium... magnesium is added to the alloy. How could you race in the rain with Mg wheels??

AW: The F1 Technical Developments Thread

AW: The F1 Technical Developments Thread

Not pure magnesium... magnesium is added to the alloy.

Actually, it's a magnesium alloy, i.e. mostly magnesium mixed with some other elements.

Actually, it's a magnesium alloy, i.e. mostly magnesium mixed with some other elements.

Sure, but it's enough to keep magnesium from burning up in contact with water, which a purely magnesium wheel would. Wouldn't even need rain, ambient humidity would make it oxidize pretty quickly.

I just wanted to clarify, since the way you worded it sounded like you meant that it's some other metal alloy with magnesium as one of the alloying elements.

That guy in the red car is a special kind of retard. I thought Grosjean was bad, look at this idiot.

So why magnesium over aluminum like most cars?