The F1 Technical Developments Thread

Weight. Magnesium is lighter than aluminum and you want to reduce the unsprung weight as much as possible.

Oh, I thought it was the other way around. Makes sense now.

Magnesium - 1.738 grams/cubic centimeter

Aluminum - 2.7 grams/cubic centimeter

Even when alloyed with 45% aluminum (common for road wheels, don't know about F1), Magnesium will still be quite a bit lighter.

That guy in the red car is a special kind of retard. I thought Grosjean was bad, look at this idiot.

So why magnesium over aluminum like most cars?

What did I miss, what red car?

Also this reminds me of a funny story my dad uses to tell. He used to be a mechanic and there was a rather uneducated guy working at the same shop as him, quite older... when Magnesium started being added to alloys, it was marketed as a big thing of course. So he used to talk about those new shiny "magnetic rims" instead of magnesium...

What did I miss, what red car?

Dmitry Suranovich, the idiot in GP3 who kept driving around Monaco without a rear wing and blocked Conor Daly until he flew into the catchfencing off the back of Suranovich's car. The video is of that incident, and on the note of the recent discussions, the wheels on Daly's car flare up when they bang into the catchfencing and/or the armco.

Last edited:
Ah, yes, was he shown a black flag? Normally when a car that has damage enough for the stewards to consider it's a liability, it gets black flagged... still, very stupid driving. Very good fencing too. Those stewards sitting on that second platform must have pooped a little.

Ah, yes, was he shown a black flag? Normally when a car that has damage enough for the stewards to consider it's a liability, it gets black flagged... still, very stupid driving. Very good fencing too. Those stewards sitting on that second platform must have pooped a little.

I seriously thought someone was going to be dead when I watched that. Kinda reminded me of Karthikeyan's rolling roadblock routine he likes to do in qualifying and during races. At least HRT will be gone next year looks like.

Less moving chicanes.

What have HRT actually brought to F1? Not much in my eyes. No point in them just throwing money away.

Ever since witnessing big names like Toyota, Honda, and BMW drop out of F1, I always welcome the sight of new teams. Besides, it's Karthikeyan that's the problem. He's the one not getting out of the way.

Ever since witnessing big names like Toyota, Honda, and BMW drop out of F1, I always welcome the sight of new teams. Besides, it's Karthikeyan that's the problem. He's the one not getting out of the way.

True, but HRT has kept him employed, even though he hardly even finishes races, let alone makes it anywhere up the field.

You do realise that my man Narain here is IN FRONT of de la Rosa in the world championship?

But that doesn't mean much. He simply retired a few times less than Pedro. And that is mostly down to the fact that he is too slow to actually have a crash.

Last edited:
7 retirements for Narain, 4 for Pedro.

My main man owns it. :lol:

7 retirements for Narain, 4 for Pedro.

My main man owns it. :lol:

You're correct, I mixed the DNF's up. But NK is infront of Pedro, because of his 15th at Monaco, a race of high attrition in which he came dead last - the only one to be lapped twice and at which his team mate out qualified him by a whooping 1.3 seconds. Other than tah he managed two 18th at Valencia and Brasil, again races with a considerable amount of retirements. Pedro managed three 18th and 4 17th positions and trounced your man 17:3 in qualifying :D Only 'nando (17:3 against Massa) and Maldonado (18:2 against Senna) managed that :p

Hardly the resume of a hero, even in the worst car since Forti Corse.

Last edited: