The FG Wedding Thread

Different arc, sorry.

We're in the planning stages as well but we've set a date for early June 2018 and have recently placed a deposit for a farm-y venue thing in Italy.

Reactions: TC
We're in the planning stages as well but we've set a date for early June 2018 and have recently placed a deposit for a farm-y venue thing in Italy.
Italy? Fancy! :D

We thought about doing something similar, but ended up deciding against. Then we were thinking about doing a winery in Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine, but the logistics were just too much of a pain in the ass. For us, the priority was to make sure everyone has a damn good time (aka food and entertainment) so we made our decision based on that. First we found a caterer we really liked then the band and only after that a venue. So we're having ours in late June 2018 in the Boston area.

Same here - I told the caterer I will haggle him down till it starts to hurt - but I still want him to make a good margin so he and his crew will be there with a smile in their face. Getting married is something two people can do all alone. Making a big affair out of it is 1% about you and 99% about your guests having a good time. Thus, we'll think of them first whatever we decide - as long as it's not about solo albums by former Genesis members.

Italy? Fancy! :D

I know but aside from the cost of plane tickets, it's actually turning out to be cheaper than similar options around here. The nice thing about doing it in Italy, you don't need to worry about bad catering. :p It definitely helps having family out there a number of my cousins have offered to help with a number of things which has been nice.

Congrats dude!

I proposed a few weeks ago...she said yes.

However, I have an engagement ring that I cannot pay for. The guy I got it from is an independent Jeweler in the UK and came highly recommended. We had weeks of back and forth designing the thing (and it still needs resizing and finishing off with some additional gems setting) and he actually sent it out to me before asking for payment. It is really beautifully done. He then went on holiday and I have not been able to get hold of him since. I have emailed most of the people who work there, I have tried via their sales contact on the website, I have called... the last thing to do is physically drive down there and throw money at them. Utterly bizarre. Normally they take your money first, then become difficult to contact!

Without paying for it, I do not have the certificate for the diamond so cannot prove what it is. But it looks pretty!

Reactions: TC

However, I have an engagement ring that I cannot pay for. The guy I got it from is an independent Jeweler in the UK and came highly recommended. We had weeks of back and forth designing the thing (and it still needs resizing and finishing off with some additional gems setting) and he actually sent it out to me before asking for payment. It is really beautifully done. He then went on holiday and I have not been able to get hold of him since. I have emailed most of the people who work there, I have tried via their sales contact on the website, I have called... the last thing to do is physically drive down there and throw money at them. Utterly bizarre. Normally they take your money first, then become difficult to contact!

Without paying for it, I do not have the certificate for the diamond so cannot prove what it is. But it looks pretty!

Payment issues aside, you can easily prove what the diamond (I'm assuming its GIA certified like most stones out there). Get a cheap loupe off eBay, find the GIA number inscription on the girdle, type that into GIA report page. Or you can take it to any jeweler for an appraisal and they will do the same thing. Though that said, it is a good idea to have the original copies of all the GIA paperwork.

Last edited:

Spooky! We are getting a ring designed right now. It needs to have elements of gothic horror and Art Deco and contain a ruby. Just waiting for the preliminary sketches.

Payment issues aside, you can easily prove what the diamond (I'm assuming its GIA certified like most stones out there). Get a cheap loupe off eBay, find the GIA number inscription on the girdle, type that into GIA report page. Or you can take it to any jeweler for an appraisal and they will do the same thing. Though that said, it is a good idea to have the original copies of all the GIA paperwork.

Top tips...might try that. Though my eye sight isn't great. I will keep trying them though. It's essentially not finished so I want it sorting. I just don't understand how they can not be chasing for payment on something so valuable.

Bump time, I proposed last Sunday morning, and she said yes :D

The date has not been set yet, but it will probably be in May 2019, to celebrate our 15th year anniversary.