The Final Gear Literary Society or... What are you reading right now?

I'm currently reading this, and am about halfway through. I'm generally a big fan of most of Koontz's books.

darkest_evening_cover.gif

Up next, will be this.

41U9%2Bvy3OTL._AA240_.jpg

51NX6V9KSQL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU02_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Troubleshooting and Repairing Diesel Engines, yep I'm a fun night down the pub ladies ;)

Also picking through the dangerous book for boys, which is pretty fun

I'm currently reading the following:

Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife: Counterinsurgency Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam by John A. Nagl

and

A History of Venice by John Julius Norwich

Not reading any 'proper' books right now I guess, feel like I should, but I just finished reading Quentin Willson's COOL CARS which has all kinds of historically or motoring-wise important cars listen in it, it's not very detailed but a fairly good read and I recommend it if you haven't read much motoring literature and would like to get some info on less known old cars and such :)

I'm reading this currrently:

51RFT91GCKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

If you can find "When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth," (I found it once bouncing around the interwebs, in its original serial form) read it. It's chilling but awesome.

Just finished Jim Lovell's "Apollo 13" (Aka Lost Moon) Brilliant book and far more in depth than the movie adaptation.

51KQ2P7V1RL._AA240_.jpg

Just finished Nightwatch. I recommend it.

:whistle:

Jeremy Clarkson - I Know You Got Soul

Just finished "On the edge" which was very good.
Before that I read Ben Elton- Chart Throb, which was a very funny satirical book focusing on reality television.
I've got a collection of books to read through now... I might go for a Ramond Benson number next.

Alright recently I have read

Slash's autobiography. Wasn't a bad read, eye-opening how much the body can take.

New Jedi Order Edge of Victory Rebirth. Was quite exciting, was the 2nd in the series and I haven't read the first which is slightly annoying. Was still good though.

Path of Destruction: A Novel of the old republic. Was ok, worth a read to pass the time but nothing too amazing.

MORT. Not one of the best discworld novels. Death is a brilliant superb character though.

Wyrd Sisters. Very good book.

Talon of the Silver Hawk. Not as good as the Magician trilogy but still a very good read.

Next up Eric Claptons autoboigraphy and a couple of Riftwar books.

TheDriverbyAlexRoy.jpg

Currently reading Richard Dawkins' "The Selfish Gene" (kind of mandatory for a biologist :mrgreen:) and I just ordered "The Gospel of The Flying Spaghetti Monster". Should be funny.

Started a week ago on "The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich". You may think it is boring, but it is written well, and is just a fascinating look into a demented, topsy turvy government. I read this at the beginning of every year, puts life into perspective.

Just started to read We by Yevgeny Zamyatin

This novel was the precursor to Brave New World and 1984

We is a futuristic dystopian satire, generally considered to be the grandfather of the genre. It takes the totalitarian and conformative aspects of modern industrial society to an extreme conclusion, depicting a state that believes that free will is the cause of unhappiness, and that citizens' lives should be controlled with mathematical precision based on the system of industrial efficiency created by Frederick Winslow Taylor. Among many other literary innovations, Zamyatin's futuristic vision includes houses, and indeed everything else, made of glass or other transparent materials, so that everyone is constantly visible. Zamyatin was very critical of communism in Russia and his work was repeatedly banned.

WeCover.jpg

I am currently re-reading the Richard Sharpe series in order of publication as i am buying the books as i go. I read this series back when i was in HS and i had forgotten how awesome they were.

51KQ2P7V1RL._AA240_.jpg

Just finished Nightwatch. I recommend it.

I have been very interested in this series. How does it read? i have had problems with other books being translated from vastly different languages to english (japanese sci-fi and historical fiction). I can't really explain it but the language used in the english translation just usually seems flat did you run into anything like that?

possibly my favorite book from last year and easily some of the most engaging "motorsports" writing i have read in quite some time

Last edited:
I don't read but listen to books all the time.
in the car, while riding my bike, doing work ect.

Also if anyone what to talk about a specific book and i have read it I will discuses books and characters for hours

I have listen to and still have have if anyone wants:
the harry potters (7)
hitchhikers guide
The Chronicles Of Narnia (7)
Lord of the Rings (4)
Halo Series (4)
Dan Brown =Da Vinci code and Digital Fortress
Tom Clancy = All of the Jack Ryan series (12)
Clive Cusler = All of the Dirk Pit series (19)
Steven King =Complete Dark Tower audio book collection(7 looooooooong books)