The FOOTball thread

Nooo not available!

Find a way to watch it (Check Footytube) because its one of the most cheeky goals I've ever seen attempted, let alone scored... and I hate the guy.

So Liverpool win the Carling Cup because Steven Gerrard's cousin and life long Liverpool fan Anthony Gerrard misses a penalty...

Jokes

So Liverpool win the Carling Cup because Steven Gerrard's cousin and life long Liverpool fan Anthony Gerrard misses a penalty...

[Benitez accent]?

Yes. Is good, no?

[/Benitez accent]

This just came up on ESPN

It's a fun goal, but I don't see the hype. Maybe I'm biased against the guy but.. Yes, it's a cool goal, and yes, he did well to hit it that cleanly, and get that kind of speed with a heel shot. However, that is, even for a guy like Ronaldo, 90% lucky punch. I'm much more impressed by goal that require serious skills.

Oh I don't think it is much luck there. He knew exactly what he was doing and knew it would surprise everyone.

USA! USA! USA!

snip 'Merican chicks.

Well done, a win in Italy is a a good result.
France beat Germany away too, strange team sometimes they turn up and play well, sometimes not.

Saw a few bits of the England and Netherlands game, England lost 3-2 in the end and didn't look that impreessive when I was watching.

:smile:

BBC Sport - Chelsea sack manager Villas-Boas

Not really a surprise, really.

Lost to WBA yesterday for the first time in decades, only three wins in the last twelve games and only won half of their EPL games this season.

Also, about to go out of the UCL and don't look like getting a shot for next year.

Abramovic, he say go - you go!

BBC Sport - Chelsea sack manager Villas-Boas

Not really a surprise, really.

Lost to WBA yesterday for the first time in decades, only three wins in the last twelve games and only won half of their EPL games this season.

Also, about to go out of the UCL and don't look like getting a shot for next year.

Abramovic, he say go - you go!

Not really a surprise but a decision Abramovic might regret later on IMO. From what I've seen of Chelsea lately the players have looked like they'd much rather be somewhere else than on the pitch at that moment and are just playing shite in general. To me it looks like if they want to get back to the top (or even close) the whole team needs a proper rebuild, not a manager swap. I don't think there are many serious long term options on the manager market anyway.

Inter has been rumoured to be the next destination for AVB and I could see why. After their start of the season Gasperini disaster Ranieri has had a horrible 2012 so far. At least they managed to score twice yesterday, but not before setting the club record of 570 or so minutes without scoring a goal. Still haven't won in the last 7 or 8 games and UCL is out of reach already.

Borussia Dortmund pretty much sealed the Bundesliga title last weekend as Bayern M?nchen and M?nchengladbach both lost their games. They now have a 7 point lead and I can't see the current Bayern team catching that.

Saw about 30 mins of Spain's game mid-week after Finland's game ended, was quite a show. Sure, it was only a friendly against Venezuela but it was a proper men against boys game. Last 30 mins they had around 90% ball possession and were creating chances all the time. And it's not like they only have a good 11 players, but the options on the bench would make any other team's opening line up as well. Soldado played 45 minutes, netted a hat trick and earned a penalty, but Silva was perhaps the man of the match.

Last edited:
Borussia Dortmund pretty much sealed the Bundesliga title last weekend as Bayern M?nchen and M?nchengladbach both lost their games. They now have a 7 point lead and I can't see the current Bayern team catching that.
BVB really does have a good run, but they have yet to play against most teams from the upper half of the league tableau, and I do see them losing a few points soon if they continue to waste their chances in front of the goal - and they will, it's their one and very persistent problem.
The 30th to 32nd days will decide (playing against Bayern, Schalke and M?nchengladbach in a row) whether they can win the title again. Never rule out Bayern coming back, they are too good for that.

Never rule out Bayern coming back, they are too good for that.
Well.... I told you so. Last week they moaned about not having a chance, this week they do a Bar?a reenactment with Hoffenheim as Leverkusen while Dortmund loses two points at Augsburg. So much for the championship already decided...

Well.... I told you so. Last week they moaned about not having a chance, this week they do a Bar?a reenactment with Hoffenheim as Leverkusen while Dortmund loses two points at Augsburg. So much for the championship already decided...

Obviously they took a giant leap in form after my post but I still doubt their chances. If BVB loses, they only deserve a look in the mirror. Bayern still has 4 to 5 UCL games left (including very likely 2 against Real Madrid) and the Bundesliga schedules aren't that bad. If the first derby is anything to go by, Schalke should be a walkover for Dortmund.

Quite an eventful evening at vila-real yesterday. At around 60 minutes or so Rui Faria of Real Madrid's coaching staff got sent off for complaining to the ref. Senna equalised to 1-1 for Villarreal at 82 minutes. Then Mourinho got sent off for sarcastically applauding the referee, a couple minutes later Ramos picked up his second yellow and a minute later ?zil got sent off for complaining to the ref. After the match Pepe also picked up a suspension in the tunnel for complaining to the referee and Lass picked up his fifth yellow of the season which means he'll miss the next game as well. The final result was 1-1 and with two draws for Real Madrid the gap to Barcelona is now 6 points with a Clasico at Camp Nou still left.

Well, as a Barcelona fan, I can't really complain about their recent misfortune. :)

If Barcelona can manage to win at Camp Nou (which is a likely scenario), then that's only a 3 point lead. It's looking more do-able now than it has it quite a while :)

And also, Messi isn't only surpassing his goal tally of 53 last season, he's completely smashing it. He's at 54 so far, and there's at least 13, potentially 16, games left this season.

Hell that is actually funny - Germans just when you thought that the never will discover a sense of humour they let you down. :lol:

We (USA) lost back to back games to Canada and then El Salvador and have therefore failed to qualify for the Olympics...
facepalm.gif