The FOOTball thread

The 2014?15 Bundesliga started this evening.

Bayern Munich 2-1 VfL Wolfsburg.

(I don't get TV highlights until Monday evenings. :sad:)
You're going to see an amazing goal and an amazing miss. ;)

Also now it's the Supercopa, and it's currently looking good for Atletico. I like how they're sponsored by a brutal dictatorship. But they're playing Real Madrid which is way worse than that, so go Atletico!

Last edited:
So Milton Keynes is playing Manchester united rather well. Who would have thought. All I know about Milton Keynes is that it's full of roundaboutness but that seems to work for them. Also Manchester bought some talent today, they sure seem to need it.

A 4-0 loss to MK in the "Banana Skin" Cup? Sheeesh. :rolleyes:

(Wenger regularly doesn't play the Arsenal first team until the later rounds of the League Cup.)

The league cup is good for testing out the youngsters on a higher level and getting other players some match fitness so it is important to go far in it. That said, 4-0 is not good at all for United.
Continuing this season were we left off last season. And it looked so promising in pre-season!

I got to realize getting United back to its regular high level is no quick fix. Gonna take months still.

Oh yeah, for sure it's a good way to try out youngsters.

But shipping 4 against a tier3 team is not good at all.

Maybe next season or the one after unfortunately.

Oh how I love when Real Madrid's "Throw hundreds of millions to the problem" fails like that. Perhaps they should have used some money strengthening the defense instead of getting absolutely every overpriced forward they could get their hands on.

Falcao is quite a coup! Press still carping on about how United need a strong, creative figure in midfield in the mould of Keane, Scholes or Cantona but they already have one - he's call Wayne Rooney.
Bit of defensive reinforcement wouldn't go amiss 'though.

Falcao is quite a coup! Press still carping on about how United need a strong, creative figure in midfield in the mould of Keane, Scholes or Cantona but they already have one - he's call Wayne Rooney.
Bit of defensive reinforcement wouldn't go amiss 'though.

C'mon, you've had a good transfer window. Cheer up a bit: di Maria, Blind and Falcao are classy players for Man U. Phil Neville said today that there aren't any central defenders, etc., to be had at present, so LVG has done what he can do.

I'm curious how well Shinji Kagawa will be able to play back at Dortmund.

What is the issue at Dortmund? Is there too much competition for places or does Kagawa have injury problems or something. :?

When thinking of Manchester United: Louis van Gaal has the reputation of being a brillant coach - but so far he just calls for more high-class players. Really brillant, that - outspending the competition.
He's of course not the only one guilty of that, it's the common thing among the "world class" European clubs (Chelsea, ManC, PSG, Real, Barca, Bayern too). I'm growing increasingly tired of that merry go-round of Champions League and investor millions.

What is the issue at Dortmund? Is there too much competition for places or does Kagawa have injury problems or something. :?
There is strong competition in the offensive midfield (Mkhitaryan, Reus, Kuba, Joji?, Aubameyang, Gro?kreutz for two to three positions). Jonas Hofmann, a youngster with hopefully a bright future, has already been sent to Mainz on loan as a reaction to the Kagawa transfer (both were made public the same day). I can see that working out for Hofmann, though - he has much potential, but really needs to play regularly.

Plus, Kagawa played two brillant seasons here a few years ago - but his "partners in crime", G?tze and Lewandowski, are gone now, and in the past two years Kagawa didn't exactly show anything at Man U, did he? I really, really hope he can pick up his delightful game again within the Borussia squad of today. Long story short, I fear that his return instills hopes that are simply too high. I would be quite happy to be wrong.

Kagawa was good when he was in his position. Sadly that didn't happen often at United for various reasons. But I'm sure he will play well again if he is used right.

LVG can build up a team with youngsters and unknowns, but that will take a few years. United can't be out of out the top for years. That leaves spending money for quick success. And the situation they are in now is because of lack of investment for several year prior to this year. Ferguson managed to keep this squad limping on and look a lot stronger than it really was in the last two or three years. Then Moyes took over and it kinda showed the reality. Heavy investment was needed and more is still needed. But the window is now closed and we have to wait for next year. Right now I just hope we can manage to get through the season without too many injuries that has been plaguing us for the last 3-4 years now. If we can get the system working quick enough and the players fit, I think we will end up in top 4. But right now we are not off to a great start. Lots of injuries and 2 points in 3 games:/ But on the bright side, LVG has a habbit of starting bad in every club he has taken over, only to come on top at the end of the season.

Die Nationalmannschaft has forgotten everything.

They have now remembered a little.
update
Getting there

Last edited:
Wednesday 3rd September 2014
International Friendlies

Russia 4-0 Azerbaijan
Lithuania 1-1 United Arab Emirates
Ukraine 1-0 Moldova
Latvia 2-0 Armenia
Denmark 1-2 Turkey
Czech Rep. 0-1 USA
Germany 2-4 Argentina
R. of Ireland 2-0 Oman
England 1-0 Norway

Warm-up friendly games prior to next next's Euro 2016 qualifiers starting.

:smile:

Kagawa was good when he was in his position. Sadly that didn't happen often at United for various reasons. But I'm sure he will play well again if he is used right.
So far, this is correct. First match, first goal yesterday (3 - 1 versus Freiburg). And his genius pass culminating in the first goal of the day was just genius. :)