The FOOTball thread

I know that it has been a long, long wait since there has been any football to watch, but the new EPL season beckons with a series of pre-season friendlies. :lol:

Saturday, 17 July 2010
Friendly Match
Barnet 0-4 Arsenal
Bohemians 0-3 Wolverhampton
Bournemouth 1-1 Fulham
Brisbane 1-2 Everton
Celtic 1-3 Man Utd (In Toronto, Canada)
Cheltenham 5-0 Gloucester
Crystal Palace 0-1 Chelsea
Darlington 0-1 Sunderland
Newcastle Town 1-1 Port Vale
Thurrock 1-0 West Ham XI

BBC Sport - Michael Essien nets winner for Chelsea on comeback
:cool:

.. and in other news,

BBC Sport - Angry Fabio Capello demands removal of Capello Index
BBC Sport said:
England boss Fabio Capello has demanded that player ratings website the Capello Index be removed from the internet.

The rankings, which score players on their performances in this summer's World Cup, appeared online on Saturday.

"I did not authorise this and am angry it was published," said Capello, while the Football Association claimed it was "satisfied" with the Italian's actions.

Hey Fabio! It?s still on the Interweb. :tease:

The Capello Player Index

Some one will be sleeping with the fishes tonight. :unsure:

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to watch United play, for free, and I declined. Not gonna bother with that!

That, sir, is the proper way to respond to the situation.

Side note: I lost two Arsenal jerseys. How the hell does that happen? Guess I need to buy the new kit. :D

Couple friendlies of note today:
Stuttgart v. Twente
Sturm Graz v. Arsenal
Galatasaray v. Fenerbahce (my pick of the day, it's going to be held in germany, so the atmosphere will be just as crazy as when it's in Istanbul)
Monaco v. St. Etienne
Olympique Marseille v. Toulouse
Sporting Braga v. Atletico Bilbao

Thoughts?

^
Well the Gunners have played twice in a week, which seems a lot. I couldn?t find a team sheet for today?s game and was wondering if Fabregas was playing or still on holiday.

Anyway, Whappeh will be pleased because they won at Graz 3-0. :D

On holiday. Nasri started the first half and was replaced by rosicky in the second. Decent game for arsenal. Laurent Koscielny did well.

Fenerbahce won a really ugly game against Galatasaray. For most of the 90, Galatasaray looked to be the better team, but Fener scored early on a breakaway and then managed to hang on despite being down to 10 men (a player was yellow carded, then he tripped the ref as he was walking away, so he was red carded). That game was pretty loosely called, as most of what Fener was doing would constitute assault. Bilica earned an early yellow for handling the ball, and then proceeded to kick and shove Arda Turan and Baris Ozbek all over the pitch. There were nine or ten calls that should have resulted in game-ending yellows for him.

^
Well the Gunners have played twice in a week, which seems a lot. I couldn?t find a team sheet for today?s game and was wondering if Fabregas was playing or still on holiday.

Anyway, Whappeh will be pleased because they won at Graz 3-0. :D

Yeah! Take that Graz.

Anyone see Hotspur at New York Red Bull last night? I've been trying to find Henry's goal.

As much as I hate the city of New York, Red Bull is becoming one of my favorite MLS teams.

Did anybody else see the graphic ESPN used to compare the impact made by Beckham and the predicted impact of Henry? They used career goals as a comparison metric...dumb.

Last edited:
Oh man. Red Bull is almost a 2nd rate team in the World's eyes now!

:lol: We beat MASSIVE Man Citeh 2-1 :lol:

Oh and :lol: Manure (who the f00k is Man UTD? :D) lose to 10 man Kansas City 2-1 :lol:

Last edited: