The FOOTball thread

Hah, are you just searching the internet for videos to make Barcelona players look bad?

How about we discuss some football in here instead?

Well, if a player acts as a complete clown inside (and outside) of the pitch, that's part of football.

In before DanRom - Borussia Dortmund just took the German Championship. Take that, Bayern!

I was at my niece's birthday party. :D
On the way home I used my car horn more in 30 minutes than before in three years while a bit of cruising in the city. Many people on the streets partying.

Heja BVB! :)

It seems Guardiola is going to step back as Barcelona manager - press conference in just over an hour.

I think it's a shame that he's quitting after their reason results, but I guess he must feel that they need some changes that he can't provide.

I'm hoping for Marco Bielsa from Bilbao to take over - he seems to be the most obvious successor at the moment.

I don't know whether they forced him out, or he really wanted to leave, but I don't see a reason for either. 13 titles in 4 years is like unbelievably good record for a manager, no matter how unlucky the last couple of games were. Coach of the year, too.
Seems that teams have figured out that the only counter-strategy to Barcelona's utter and complete possession-tiki-taka-domination is to basically defend with 10 players and put all the chips on the counters... I think the natural evolution to Bar?a's play was to consider the wall of people in the area as just a free-kick wall and try the long shots... Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Dani Alves, and others have exceptional long shot skills.

His own reasoning is that he's simply burnt out. It's a hard job. If he's not as passionate about it anymore as he used to be, or as happy doing it, then I think it's a good decision.

Apparently his assisten coach has been named new head coach - Tito Vilanova. That's a bit surprising to me, but it fits their philosophy I guess. We'll see what he can do, I know next to nothing about it, so can't really judge him.

He's complained a long time ago how he takes his job too seriously and forgets to sleep and eat properly because of it. The media's pressure to succeed certainly didn't help with people all of a sudden calling some sort of a crisis when you lose the Liga and the UCL final by a tighest of margins.

I think Vilanova is a pretty natural choice for a successor, he's been in the organization a long time and knows the way they work throughout. Pep himself has said he's just a face for the decisions they make together with Vilanova. Bielsa probably would've been the easiest option but I'm happy to see him continue his project with Athletic, they've probably played the aesthetically most pleasing and very effective football this season. The former Barca B coach Luis Enrique was also on the cards but his sloppy season in charge of Roma probably decided against him.

The former Barca B coach Luis Enrique was also on the cards but his sloppy season in charge of Roma probably decided against him.
Heard they're looking at Villas-Boas for next season. Anyway, Guardiola made it sound like he's just about ready for retirement or, at least, semi-retirement. You know, a national squad job.

He's complained a long time ago how he takes his job too seriously and forgets to sleep and eat properly because of it. The media's pressure to succeed certainly didn't help with people all of a sudden calling some sort of a crisis when you lose the Liga and the UCL final by a tighest of margins.

If he was just a face and the decisions were taken by Vilanova (that's what the Qatar? media is trying to sell their brainwashed readers now) how's that the job has taken such a big toll on him...

Seriously, deep inside all of the bullshit, there's legitimate opinions. Why do you feel the need to completely detract from that?

Guardiola was a gamble when he was appointed, Vilanova certainly is as well. I hope it succeeds, but he has a lot to prove.

Good news for Spurs fans, the English FA and maybe WBA fans too, but not so good for Roy as:

BBC Sport - Roy Hodgson approached by FA over England manager's job

The poison challice of Football jobs, the Head Coach of the England National squad.

Good luck Roy, really hope you do well, even if you do, the tabloid press will kill you in the end.

Heard they're looking at Villas-Boas for next season. Anyway, Guardiola made it sound like he's just about ready for retirement or, at least, semi-retirement. You know, a national squad job.

AVB needs to select his next job very carefully, "leaving" Chelsea was not his best hour and Barca is an even tougher job to take on.

There is only one man for that (England) job. Its a bit like when the ducked on Cloughie in the 1970s. ...

Last edited:
Good news for Spurs fans, the English FA and maybe WBA fans too, but not so good for Roy as:

BBC Sport - Roy Hodgson approached by FA over England manager's job

The poison challice of Football jobs, the Head Coach of the England National squad.

Good luck Roy, really hope you do well, even if you do, the tabloid press will kill you in the end.

AVB needs to select his next job very carefully, "leaving" Chelsea was not his best hour and Barca is an even tougher job to take on.

I think he'd do better at Barcelona, they're a better fit for his style. If he was to work at Chelsea, it should have been a long term project - the current squad just wasn't capable of doing what he wanted them to. He probably should have been better at easing the team from one style to another. Di Matteo has shown what they're capable of.

That being said, not sure I want him at Barcelona.. :p

Meanwhile in Spain, one of the best coaches ever wins another league (and that makes 32) for the greatest club in the history of football ;)

The greatest club my ass... anyway, yeah, by a tiny margin and after spending hundreds of millions of euros. Big deal.

What a loser. :lol:

One more trophy coming home :p

o_real_madrid_estadio_santiago_bernabeu-53236.jpg

Nice, personal attacks. So because they claim they are the best club ever, it must be truth?
By the same logic, Barcelona claim they're more than a club
6a00d834515f9769e2011570a914d4970b-800wi.jpg

Therefore, better...?

Stupid claims, took 4 years for "the best club" to beat "more than a club" and hundreds of millions cherry picking the supposedly best of the best and they barely did it. If anyone is impressed by that, I got to say, low standards.

Nice, personal attacks. So because they claim they are the best club ever, it must be truth?
By the same logic, Barcelona claim they're more than a club
6a00d834515f9769e2011570a914d4970b-800wi.jpg

Therefore, better...?

Stupid claims, took 4 years for "the best club" to beat "more than a club" and hundreds of millions cherry picking the supposedly best of the best and they barely did it. If anyone is impressed by that, I got to say, low standards.

Dude, the 'more than a club' thing is all about politics and personally I don't give a damn about politics in sport.

The numbers speak for themselves: 32 leagues (11 more than FCQ), 9 Champions League (5 more than FCQ).

If you can't accept that is not my problem.

Congratulations to Don Jos? Mourinho too, for being one of the few coaches that has won a league in four different countries.