The FOOTball thread

Dude, the 'more than a club' thing is all about politics and personally I don't give a damn about politics in sport.

The numbers speak for themselves: 32 leagues (11 more than FCQ), 9 Champions League (5 more than FCQ).

If you can't accept that is not my problem.

Congratulations to Don Jos? Mourinho too, for being one of the few coaches that has won a league in four different countries.

No it isn't, it's just a damn motto like anything else, certainly a bit less pedantic than "The best club EVARRRR", which to me encapsulates everything about Real Bwin. Spend kajillions and kajillions and be slightly better than everyone else.
If it's all about numbers, Benfica in Portugal also has 32 national leagues. Real Bwin have no FIFA Club World Cups at all, while 7 other teams have at least one. You see how determining the best is very subjective and not just numbers, and declaring yourself the best can just make you look like an arrogant ponce?

Last edited:
No it isn't, it's just a damn motto like anything else, certainly a bit less pedantic than "The best club EVARRRR", which to me encapsulates everything about Real Bwin. Spend kajillions and kajillions and be slightly better than everyone else.
If it's all about numbers, Benfica in Portugal also has 32 national leagues. Real Bwin have no FIFA Club World Cups at all, while 7 other teams have at least one. You see how determining the best is very subjective and not just numbers, and declaring yourself the best can just make you look like an arrogant ponce?
The 'more than a club' thing is all about what FCQ represents for Catalonian nationalism/independetism, trust me, I know better than you.

Benfica is a great club, but you can't compare the level of the Spanish league to that of the Portuguese league.

Anyway, if you are so bitter that you can't understand that the cold, objetive numbers tell that Real Madrid is the best club in the history of football, as I've said before, it's not my problem. :lol:

The amount of stupid and namecalling in discussions of the Spanish league is truly mind-boggling.

I'll be over in the EPL thread - waiting for this forum to grant me an "Ignore" button.

Ah OK, AVB still needs to be in the right club for his next job.

:smile:

Inter might be a quite likely address as they're perhaps the biggest team seeking a new manager come summer. They're in a similar situation to Chelsea though, where the team needs a rebuild but the stars of the yesterday don't want a change. And with manager jobs known to be easily cut short in Italy I can see another disaster happening if Inter buys him.

Inter might be a quite likely address as they're perhaps the biggest team seeking a new manager come summer. They're in a similar situation to Chelsea though, where the team needs a rebuild but the stars of the yesterday don't want a change. And with manager jobs known to be easily cut short in Italy I can see another disaster happening if Inter buys him.

He will need an owner, unlike Roman Abramovich, who will give him the time to build a team, which he will probably do a very good job with.
(No players older than him with a lot of history & sucess with the club, would be useful as well.)

:smile:

After North Korea's failed attempt a few weeks ago to send a rocket into orbit, they have now turned to Sergio Ramos for tips.

Anyway, if you are so bitter that you can't understand that the cold, objetive numbers tell that Real Madrid is the best club in the history of football, as I've said before, it's not my problem. :lol:

If you followed the same logic and went to the Formula 1 forum saying Ferrari is the best team ever just based on numbers, you'd be crucified. It's not that simple, and I think in the last 20 years, Real Madrid has been far, far from being the best club, even after spending stratospheric amounts of money trying to be. And that's why they're not.

In other news, with 4 pecks in tonights game, Messi has rounded 50 liga goals, and 72 overall for the season!

It's just completely ridiculous.

If you followed the same logic and went to the Formula 1 forum saying Ferrari is the best team ever just based on numbers, you'd be crucified. It's not that simple, and I think in the last 20 years, Real Madrid has been far, far from being the best club, even after spending stratospheric amounts of money trying to be. And that's why they're not.

Yeah, they've been terrible, they've only won three European Cups.

BTW, congratulations to Messi for the Pichichi. On the other hand, it's been great seeing how much Cristiano has matured as a player, doing the best for the team instead of focusing in his stats.

For sure, Cristiano Ronaldo is a much more mature player now than he was in his United days, or even at the start of his Real Madrid career. He's a lot more likable as a player.

It's just completely insane to have to players of this quality at the same time. These are what you'd consider once in a generation (maybe even rarer) players, and we've got the good fortune of witnessing two of them right now!

Last season you had a feeling of "how are they going to top that", and then they just completely thrashes their previous achievements.

Juventus sealed their first Serie A title since the Calciopoli scandal yesterday by beating Cagliari away 2-0, while Inter won the Milan derby 4-2. Juve are now 4 points ahead of AC Milan with only one matchday left. Must be pretty emotional for Buffon, Del Piero etc who went to Serie B with the club. Juventus are also still unbeaten for the season, quite a step up form finishing 7th last year.
This also means Zlatan is left without a league title for the first time since 2002-03. 8 seasons in a row with Ajax, Juventus, Inter, Barcelona and Milan.

Fight for the 3rd UCL spot is still open:

Udinese 61
Lazio 59
Napoli 58
Internazionale 58

In the last games Udinese will play Catania away, Napoli will host Siena and Lazio and Inter will play against each other.

I hope Napoli will be in ChL next year again, they were quite the experience this season!

Also, Juventus are teasing a little, claiming it to be their 30th championship - despite the fact that they're "only" at 28 if you detract the two that was taken away from them due to Calciopoli.

I don't know near enough about calciopoli to have any opinion of that.. :p

Real Madrid has set a new record in the Spanish league by reaching the amazing mark of 100 points.

Messi matched legend Pel?'s most goals in a season record (77). Too bad he couldn't score one last goal to break it.

Also huge congratulations are in order for Manchester City. And here's the moment that sealed the deal.

iP7li.jpg

I found it extremely amusing when some friends of mine who are portuguese Real Madrid fans started blabbering in Facebook how it was just the money that bought City the title.

Manchester City could and should do much more with the players the've got. They should aspire to much higher feats.

By the way, Messi still has one more game to play, the Copa del Rey final. The incredible sum of 50 goals he has scored in the League have been useless since his team has lost the competition by a massive 9 points margin against a record breaking Real Madrid squad, but I can see him easily destroying Athletic's defense to win the title.

Didn't stop Real Madrid fans from blabbering like idiots last year when Ronaldo took the pichichi award. That's all they rambled about. This year the award means nothing cos the team it was awarded to didn't win La Liga hm? Typical hypocrisy.