The FOOTball thread

I'd ve surprised to se Messi away from Barcelona. Who knows though, maybe it all goes to shit without Pep :p

First signing for United is almost finalized. Shinji Kagawa welcome to the club:)
Will see how he adapts, but that shouldn't be much of a problem. Looks to be a good signing!

Villarreal's horrible luck just goes on. Manuel Preciado was appointed manager yesterday, last night he died of heart attack, RIP. Last season was a prime example of Murphy's Law on Villarreal's part, from Champions League to relegation. Massive injury queue in the beginning of the season, Giuseppe Rossi being injured since October (and set to recover next winter IIRC), unlucky performances on the pitch etc. Villarreal was also one of the two La Liga teams to have a B team in the Segunda Division (Barcelona has one, Real Madrid will have one next season as Castilla won promotion from Segunda B), so their relegation turned into a double relegation since it forced Villarreal B to drop down a division as well.

Villarreal is one of the clubs i sympathize for with plenty of players I like, we'll see how badly the team gets split up during the transfer market as they have too many players too good for Segunda. No club really deserves as much misfortune as they've recently had.

Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce that Roberto Di Matteo has been appointed manager and first-team coach on a permanent basis.

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2810782,00.html

Awesome!

517895-roberto-di-matteo.jpg

So the Olympics started yesterday with :

BBC Sport - Olympic Women's Football Results

Main headline: USA and Brasil both won and looked a bit awesome. Team USA made it hard for themselves by giving away two goals first.

The People's Prison Republic of North Korea walked out for a hour after someone showed the South Korean flag on the Stadium screens, by mistake. They did later go on to beat Colombia.

Today the Men's football
BBC Sport - Olympic Men's Football Results

Main headlines: Japan beat Spain and Brasil only just beat Egypt, after being three up.

26/7
Spain 0 1 Japan
Brasil 3 2 Egypt

Question:

a.

Would you rather post & discuss here in the FOOTBALL Thread?

OR

b.

In the Main Olympics 2012 Thread mixed in with all the other 24 sports?

:smile:

I am going watching Brazil v Belarus and Egypt v NZ tomorrow at Old Trafford. Should be entertaining and the ticket was only ?20.

I'm hoping they're showing the brazil game on television around here tomorrow. Lots of really interesting talent that you don't usually get to see here in Europe.

I am going watching Brazil v Belarus and Egypt v NZ tomorrow at Old Trafford. Should be entertaining and the ticket was only ?20.

Top man! :thumbsup:

I'm hoping they're showing the brazil game on television around here tomorrow. Lots of really interesting talent that you don't usually get to see here in Europe.

Had a quick look at the TV schedule, but I can't find it on the BBC. Not yet anyway.

The one Olympic "must watch" event on Sunday for me. :sad:

Thankfully they're showing it on one of the Danish channels :)

Brasil 3 - 1 Belarus

Watched most of the second half online.

Great last goal by Oscar, assist by Neymar, real class.
Crowd of 66,000 at Old Trafford, very good! They got to see Raphael playing for his national squad, where he plays every week for ManU. (I forgot how young he is, even though he looks it.)

Brasil qualify to QF.

:cool:

I left on 89' minutes to avoid the travel chaos. Cock

Many consider him to be a 'pecho frio' and that won't change until he wins (at least) a World Cup. Maradona gave everything for his national team while Messi seems to barely give a sh*t.

Don't tell me what's considered what in Argentina since I've lived there for half of my life and keep close ties with many people, and get to experience what they say directly by chat or facebook posts. While a long time ago the feeling was indeed that Messi didn't do enough, that's long gone from the feeling of most Argentines. Also long gone is Pele and Maradona's time where a single player could do the difference for a team, as you might have noticed by Portugal's performance in every competition since Ronaldo has been there.
That little picture you posted proves nothing as I see a million of those shared right here in Portugal about Ronaldo, although they are more lenient cos they don't have as much expectations from their national teams as Argentines are from theirs.

1963265_700b.jpg

Last edited: