The FOOTball thread

I don't think Sherwood's got what it takes just yet to really take Tottenham further than they are now. Too bad for Tottenham that United opened up for Van Gaal, because I think he would have fit very well.

Little disappointed to hear that, I would've given him next season at least. I guess the loss margin against Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City was too much.

He knew it was comming, i think as he was a little bit outspoken in his last press conference.

Spurs, Newcastle and probably others, would like Pochettino from Southampton or someone with more EPL & European experience at least.

I'd like to see more of Ryan Giggs at Man United, seems kinda fitting given his long, long playing career with them. Would he be any good as a manager?

He might make a good Coach, I dunno. But not Man U and not right now.
Great player and icon for Man U, but continuing as Head Coach is too soon for him and would probably ruin him. He really needs to see if he can do it in the lower leagues, which will be lower profile. If he suceeds, then maybe an assistant at Man U in future sometime.

Enjoyed the FA Cup final, was kinda hoping Hull could pull off an unlikely victory (not that I'm against Arsenal, I dont mind them), they started with a lot of spirit but naturally as the game went on Arsenal had a lot more depth and just kept improving.

I had a feeling all week that Hull would win and in the first ten minutes they nearly did it. At the start, Arsenal went into derpy defence mode again, which they normally only reserve for the big clubs like Bayern and Man C.

They did improve over the season, but I guess they forgot for the first ten minutes of the FA Cup final. :lol:

And there it is confirmed. Louis van Gaal is the new United manager with Giggs as his assistant.

Exciting times!

And there it is confirmed. Louis van Gaal is the new United manager with Giggs as his assistant.

Exciting times!

I hope so too, but don't you Man U fans be expecting everything all at once, next season.
Even Sir Alex used to take a few years between rebuilding squads, so give LvG some time, as they do need a rebuild.

Yaya Toure :lol:

So, I got YYT's agent making transfer noises and BS about percieved value to Man C, but I don't get the funny here? (Just transfer shenanigans about money, age etc etc.)

Has the Toronto Sun got some story we can't see here? :?

Last edited:
City forgot his birthday :p

.. says the Spurs fan, with little sympathy. :tease:

(Tis a pity that City allegedly, won't sell him to another EPL club. As Spurs or Everton or any other club, would greatly benefit from YYT.)

Interesting! David Moyes was hammered for doing this:

"Mr. Van Gaal is perfectly comfortable declaring that a 0-3 loss at home to Sunderland was his team?s best game all season, just because his players were doing what he told them to do."

International Friendlies - World Cup Warm Up & Training Matches
Saturday 31st May 2014

Uruguay 1-0 Northern Ireland
Bos-Herce 2-1 Ivory Coast
Chile 3-2 Egypt

Friday 30th May 2014

England 3-0 Peru
Honduras 0-2 Turkey
Iran 1-1 Angola
Switzerland 1-0 Jamaica
Spain 2-0 Bolivia

Thursday 29th May 2014

Mexico 3-0 Israel
Cameroon 1-2 Paraguay

Wednesday 28th May 2014

USA 2-0 Azerbaijan
South Korea 0-1 Tunisia
Nigeria 2-2 Scotland

Tuesday 27th May 2014

Japan 1-0 Cyprus
France 4-0 Norway

Monday 26th May 2014

Australia 1-1 South Africa
Russia 1-0 Slovakia
Montenegro 0-0 Iran
Macedonia 0-2 Cameroon
Belgium 5-1 Luxembourg

England's World Cup journey

2 June: Deadline for final squad to be named

4 June: v Ecuador, Miami, USA

7 June: v Honduras, Miami, USA

14 June: v Italy, World Cup, Manaus

Interesting! David Moyes was hammered for doing this:

"Mr. Van Gaal is perfectly comfortable declaring that a 0-3 loss at home to Sunderland was his team?s best game all season, just because his players were doing what he told them to do."

Yeah, it's funny how times change!

Plus of course, LvG has a bigger rep than Moyes and so can get away with saying things other coaches cannot. Sir Alex could get away with the most with the the British media, oh and Jose as well.

:smile:

David Villa confirmed coming to MLS

Every step forward is positive for the sport in the US.

Oi! The MLS already has Jermain Defoe at Vancouver. :shakefist: :p

David Villa is a quality player, a new club and a new challenge! :cool:

.. and good for New York for geting another team, plenty room for more.
(We have 4 or more EPL teams here in London.)

This made the News headlines today:
Also, Qatar World Cup 2022: Investigator nears probe conclusion

This could still be a lot of sour grapes from the loosers of the 2018/22 Bids or maybe he has found some evidence to back up the bribery rumours. :think:

(Report to be issued in about a month, just when the 2014 World Cup starts. :rolleyes:)

News Limited picked up the story and said that Australia is still kinda pissed about the whole ordeal. Apparently, although the average person in the street doesnt give much of a shit. They also wrote an article along the lines of bullet dodged, these events arent profitable anyway. Basically fine, have your World Cup see if we care :p. Sour grapes haha.

Transfer stuff to date, involving EPL & other European League clubs:

Date ----- Name ----- FROM ----- > TO

11 July 2014 Luis Su?rez Liverpool Barcelona ?75m

13 June 2014 David Luiz Chelsea Paris Saint-Germain ?50m

10 July 2014 Alexis S?nchez Barcelona Arsenal ?35m

15 July 2014 Diego Costa Atl?tico Madrid Chelsea ?32m

12 June 2014 Cesc F?bregas Barcelona Chelsea ?30m

26 June 2014 Ander Herrera Athletic Bilbao Manchester United ?29m

30 July 2014 Romelu Lukaku Chelsea Everton ?28m

27 June 2014 Luke Shaw Southampton Manchester United ?27m

1 July 2014 Adam Lallana Southampton Liverpool ?25m

15 July 2014 Lazar Markovi? Benfica Liverpool ?20m

27 July 2014 Dejan Lovren Southampton Liverpool ?20m

28 July 2014 Calum Chambers Southampton Arsenal ?16m

18 July 2014 Filipe Lu?s Atl?tico Madrid Chelsea ?15.8m

26 June 2014 Fernando Porto Manchester City ?12m

17 July 2014 Enner Valencia Pachuca West Ham United ?12m

8 July 2014 Du?an Tadi? Twente Southampton ?10.9m

3 July 2014 Emre Can Bayer Leverkusen Liverpool ?10m

18 July 2014 Brown Ideye Dynamo Kyiv West Bromwich Albion ?10m

29 July 2014 Divock Origi Lille Liverpool ?10m

5 August 2014 Jack Rodwell Manchester City Sunderland ?10m

25 June 2014 Jake Livermore Tottenham Hotspur Hull City ?8m

22 July 2014 Leonardo Ulloa Brighton & Hove Albion Leicester City ?8m

5 August 2014 Jordon Mutch Cardiff City Queens Park Rangers?6m

18 July 2014 Demba Ba Chelsea Be?ikta? ?4.7m

8 July 2014 Willy Caballero M?laga Manchester City ?4.4m

28 June 2014 Alexander B?ttner Manchester United Dynamo Moscow ?4.4m

2 June 2014 Rickie Lambert Southampton Liverpool ?4m

2 August 2014 Eric Dier Sporting CP Tottenham Hotspur ?4m

27 July 2014 David Ospina Nice Arsenal ?3m

29 July 2014 Andrew Robertson Dundee United Hull City ?2.85m

29 July 2014 Harry Maguire Sheffield United Hull City ?2.5m

25 July 2014 Beb? Manchester United Benfica ?2.4m

24 July 2014 Ignacio Scocco Sunderland Newell's Old Boys ?2.1m

8 July 2014 Gareth Barry Manchester City Everton ?2m

15 July 2014 Lukas Jutkiewicz Middlesbrough Burnley ?1.5m

21 July 2014 Patrice Evra Manchester United Juventus ?1.2m

Hmmm ... I wonder what it will report? :think:

English Community Shield

Arsenal 3-0 Manchester City

Played at Wembley today, either the end of last season match of EPL winners vs. FA Cup winners or a 2014/15 pre-season game.

(As per FIFA regulations, no German, Brasilian, Argentine or Dutch players from their national World Cup squads were playing for their clubs. They get a month off for holidays.)

This could still be a lot of sour grapes from the loosers of the 2018/22 Bids or maybe he has found some evidence to back up the bribery rumours. :think:

Forget rumors, after having stops to deal with the temperature in Brazil, isn't it obvious a World Cup is the kind of idea that only makes sense after several millions in bank transfers?

It would be more understandable if the Qatar bid was based on existing technology. But it's based on theoreticals never before deployed on this scale. On top of how on earth such a tiny country is going to build all the hotel space for international visitors. It's oil money, and FIFA getting bold about their corruption because they think themselves invincible.