Ownership Verified: The French Baguette Van: My RenaultSport Clio

The_leader_of_the_Knights_Who_Say_Ni.jpg

A SHRUBBERY!?

So I got around to putting the new gear boot in. It was a fairly simple process, I feared at first that I'd have to take the gear knob off with a lot of hacksawing and swearing, but thankfully it just slipped over the top.

The boot was held on with a cable tie, simply cut it, remove the old one, stick the new one on, tighten cable tie, and clip into place.

Removing old boot:
https://pic.armedcats.net/h/hb/hbriz/2011/07/22/photo_004.JPG

Superleggera:
https://pic.armedcats.net/h/hb/hbriz/2011/07/22/photo-1_001.JPG

New vs. Old:
https://pic.armedcats.net/h/hb/hbriz/2011/07/22/photo-2_001.JPG

Finished product:
https://pic.armedcats.net/h/hb/hbriz/2011/07/22/photo-3_001.JPG

Last edited:
https://pic.armedcats.net/h/hb/hbriz/2011/08/29/DSC_7721s.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/h/hb/hbriz/2011/08/29/DSC_7730s.jpg

My car with its new brother, which belongs to my brother. You can see just how small the Clio is here.

Last edited:
Next modification, inspired in part by Viper's Mustang: an aux input for the stereo. Unfortunately my car missed out on the 'Update List' stereo by a few months, in which case I could simply enable an aux function through a hidden menu via witchcraft and run a cable into the glovebox or something. However, I'm stuck with a 'Tuner List', which does not have an aux function. I have committed myself to burning CDs or just listening to the radio for the while, but I've now found a rather cheap solution.

About $80 can buy a thing that means you can have an aux input, but on the down side I lose the CD changer. Who needs CDs when you have an iPod though? I'll leave the changer in the car so I can hook it back up when it comes time to sell if necessary, it just won't be functional.

Anyway, the cheese eating surrender monkey hasn't missed a beat. It seems to have a bit of a lazy fuel pump or sensor or something, which is only a problem if it hasn't been driven for a while. Only means I have to prime it before starting by turning the key to on, leaving it for couple of seconds, then starting it. Still has never let me down.

I have the opportunity to buy a set of second-hand wheels for under $500. I've done a quick, dodgy photoshop of what the car would look like with them on.

Thoughts?

The wheels are in Melbourne so I'd have to arrange shipping which is a pain, and there are many things that would be more sensible to spend the money on... I think they look cool there but I may tire of them. Opinions would be nice :)

What are they? Same size as current? Able to put your current rubber on them?

These are 16s, currents are 15. They come with Michelin Exalto tyres that have some tread left, apparently. I also have a set of not-so-nice 16s with some well-used rubber that would be okay for a while.

I have the opportunity to buy a set of second-hand wheels for under $500. I've done a quick, dodgy photoshop of what the car would look like with them on.

Thoughts?

The wheels are in Melbourne so I'd have to arrange shipping which is a pain, and there are many things that would be more sensible to spend the money on... I think they look cool there but I may tire of them. Opinions would be nice :)

me gusta

So, it's been a year since this car first came into my ownership. I love this car, it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. I expected French motoring to be expensive, but thankfully for me, it hasn't been. Apart from the major service just after I bought it, the only money I spent on keeping it going was in petrol. Speaking of which, it's been averaging about 8.5-9L/100km in 90% urban driving with a pretty heavy foot.

Going into the new year, I still have plans for the car. I am currently waiting for a pair of clear side indicators to arrive which I bought off ebay for $20. It took a while, but I ended up going with the clear ones as it would suit more with the direction I'm wanting to take the car in the future, plus I've seen plenty of other Clios with them and I feel it's a safe bet.

That leads me to this future direction. Well, you saw the photoshop of the white wheels I was thinking of buying. While I like them, I probably won't be buying these, even though they're still for sale, it's an expense I can't afford. My idea now is to take the spare set of 16" wheels I have and paint them white, either myself or professionally depending on the cost. I think this will do wonders transforming the exterior of the car. Plus, at some point I'm going to go to the Skoda dealer and tell them I need a new front lip for a Fabia. Then that's going on the Clio. It fits without much modification. LED parking lights are a very cheap mod that I will be doing when I get around to it. The current yellow parkers look weird next to the bright white HIDs.

I'm also going to get some quotes on fixing the myriad of parking scratches that were on the car when I bought it. I've gotten used to them, so if the cost is too exorbitant it's not something I'm going to worry about. The rear bumper is annoying me however and I'll probably have that resprayed regardless. I have to remember that this car was cheap, and I want to keep it that way.

Suspension mods are on the cards, but again, all comes down to cost.

tl;dr, car's still great, and I want to blow money on things I don't need

Last edited:
I've just found this thread and seen the pictures of your car. I don't visit the automotive section of the forum very much, I find all those unread posts overwhelming.

But anyway, the pictures clearly show where you live, which reminds me of a video submitted to an SBS competition a few years ago. It was a competition to submit a video review of your own car and I remember one of a Falcon (I think) from around the same place as where you live.

Was it you? And if it was, is the video still online somewhere?

I've just found this thread and seen the pictures of your car. I don't visit the automotive section of the forum very much, I find all those unread posts overwhelming.

But anyway, the pictures clearly show where you live, which reminds me of a video submitted to an SBS competition a few years ago. It was a competition to submit a video review of your own car and I remember one of a Falcon (I think) from around the same place as where you live.

Was it you? And if it was, is the video still online somewhere?
Wow, that's quite a memory you have. Yep, 'twas me, I must have been about 12 at the time I think... Christ that was a long time ago. :lol: Don't think the video is still online, thankfully.

And don't use this to stalk me! :p

If we still had the Falcon at that stage, it was ages ago in my book. :lol: That means I would have been 13 or so - critically in that video I would have had a voice like Justin Beiber's and it shall therefore never be dug up :p

:lol:

BTW, I actually have a terrible memory. I just remember that one becaue I was so surprised to see buildings (and a roundabout) I recognised in the background.

It probably helped that at the time I lived in Ross St (off Corrimal St near the golf course) and worked in Woonona, so I drove past there twice every day.

With your Alan Partridge avatar I assumed you were older. When I saw your Renault pics and recognised the place I though "that video was a kid, I don't remember Hbriz mentioning having any kids." :lol:

BTW, I think if there was a poll, everyone would want to see your car review. :p

If people assume I am Alan Partridge, cashback!

Slightly more off-topic: I have a question about Ross St. Did it ever smell terrible if the wind was blowing from the south, from the treatment plant thing? On certain days it's bad enough just driving past there :p
Are you still in the city or out in the 'burbs these days?