The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

Last edited:
You forgot Jewel Staite?! Philistine out!

Oh, speaking of Gina Torres, I watched a few episodes of the show "Stand Off" on Hulu in which she plays the senior FBI agent. I had a Serenity flashback when she walked up to a guy, laid him out with a right jab, stood him up, punched him again and then drew her sidearm.

Total Zoe move.

Last edited:
You forgot Jewel Staite?! Philistine out!

Oh, speaking of Gina Torres, I watched a few episodes of the show "Stand Off" on Hulu in which she plays the senior FBI agent. I had a Serenity flashback when she walked up to a guy, laid him out with a right jab, stood him up, punched him again and then drew her sidearm.

Total Zoe move.

all we need is one of those to make a guest appearance on Castle and my inner nerd will scream like a 5 year old.

There was an ep where an ex visited Castle, someone he described as "the one who got away" etc and I so fucking wanted that to be Morena. :(

There have been 2 references to Firefly, though. One was during a haloween episode when he dressed as a "space cowboy" and the other one was with that annoying FBI agent, when he shot some perp's gun out of his hand and then commented that he "was aiming for the head".

Last edited:
There was an ep where an ex visited Castle, someone he described as "the one who got away" etc and I so fucking wanted that to be Morena. :(

There have been 2 references to Firefly, though. One was during a haloween episode when he dressed as a "space cowboy" and the other one was with that annoying FBI agent, when he shot some perp's gun out of his hand and then commented that he "was aiming for the head".
And the line from Castle's kid:

"Ok, two things. First, there are no cows in space. Two, didn't you wear that, like 5 years ago?"

Fun fact: that is the actual Browncoat Nathan wore in "Firefly." Fox auctioned it off and a group of fans pooled their money to purchase it, then presented it to him.

And don't forget the blue latex gloves - hands of blue comment. I think there are a whole lot more references to Firefly in Castle (and in fact a whole load of TV shows). There's a website out there keeping track of them I'm sure.

There should be a website keeping track of all the Hitchhiker's guide references, especially "42"

Blind: the whole scene was a reference to it, that's why I didn't go into detail. ;)

Anyway, link to said website? I wanna know how much I missed. :(

I have no idea, but if you find one post it up.

Blind: the whole scene was a reference to it, that's why I didn't go into detail. ;)

Anyway, link to said website? I wanna know how much I missed. :(

Wikipedia, apparently.

In television and film
  • Fox Mulder, one of the main characters in The X-Files lived in Apartment 42 at 2630 Hegal Place, Alexandria, Virginia.[11]
  • The Kumars at No. 42 television series. In 2003, Sanjeev Bhaskar hosted a BBC show nominating The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as Britain's Best Loved Book.
  • 42 is one of The Numbers - 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42 - featured in Lost. It is also the number tied to the character "Kwon".
  • A made for TV movie 42: Forty Two Up - an installment in a series of documentaries wherein the director revisits the same group of British-born individuals every 7 years.[12]
  • 42 is an episode of Doctor Who, set in real time lasting approximately 42 minutes.
  • In the Doctor Who episode Voyage of the Damned, the Tenth Doctor attempts to control a rogue host robot by randomly shouting numbers, including of course, 42.
  • In an episode of the animated show, Phineas and Ferb called "The Fast & the Phineas", the boys turn their mother's car into a racecar. The number of their racecar is 42.
  • 42 is the name of Buzz Lightyear's space ship from Pixar's animated science fiction series Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.
  • In an episode of "House M.D" Dr. House claims that his favorite number is 42.
  • In Monty Python's film And Now for Something Completely Different, the famous "How Not to be Seen" sketch is presented as "H.M. Government Public Service film No. 42".
  • In A Clockwork Orange Alex browses through records in a record store and we see a record of the, at this time fictional, band Level 42.
  • In an episode of "Stargate Atlantis" it is revealed that Rodney Mckay's password is made up of the birth years of several notable minds throughout history, and ends with the number 42. The character John Sheppard reveals that the number is the ultimate answer to life, the universe and everything, to the confusion of his alien companion.
  • In an episode of "Stargate Atlantis," Season 4 - Doppelganger; Dr. McKay asks Col. Sheppard "Look, do you have any idea how many Gate addresses there are in the Ancient database that have no accompanying description?" to which Sheppard answers "forty two".
  • In the episode "Human" from Stargate Universe, the key to a code appears to be the number 46. Upon seeing this, Daniel Jackson exclaims: "Well, it's not the ultimate answer to life, the universe and everything. That's forty two. Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy."
  • In "Finding Nemo" the address of the dentist's office is recited many times by Dory, it is P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
  • In "The Mentalist", Season 2, Episode 21, titled "18-5-4", a fictional machine called the Universal Code Breaker or 'Universal Hack' , is hidden inside locker number 42.
  • In "Amelie", the number appears on the bottom of Mr. Collignon's shoe.
In video games
  • 42 Entertainment is the company responsible for several alternate reality games, including I Love Bees and Year Zero.
  • In Spore, reaching the center of the galaxy yields a powerful item known as the "Staff of Life" which has a limited 42 uses. It also grants the player an achievement titled "42".
  • In Fable II, the last in a series of ancient artifacts the player can find says "Now just think of the number 42."
  • 101010 (42 in Binary) is an open-source Java game.
  • In the Champions Online MMORPG it states during a loading screen "your lucky numbers are 2, 5 and 42"
  • In Valve Corporation's Left 4 Dead 2, 42 is the number of Moustachios that must be shot in the Dark Carnival campaign's Whack-a-Mole style mini-game in order to unlock the STACH WACKER achievement.
  • In Destroy All Humans! you go into a parody of Area 51 called Area 42.
  • In Lego Batman, Lego Indiana Jones, and the Lego Star Wars games, the maximum amount of studs you can have is 4,200,000,000.
  • In The Conduit one of the conspiracy messages reads XLII or 42 in roman numerals
  • In Mucky Foot Software's 'Startopia', the AI Computer advisor is quoted as saying '42. Interesting number don't you think? Although I suppose it's importance is lost on you carbon based lifeforms'
Magic numbers used by programmers
  • In the TIFF image file format, the second 16-bit word of every file is 42, which is used together with the first word to indicate byte order.
  • In the reiser4 file system, 42 is the inode number of the root directory.
  • The GNU C Library, a set of standard routines available for use in computer programming, contains a function?memfrob()?which performs an XOR combination of a given variable and the binary pattern 00101010 (42) as an XOR cipher.
  • 42 is the result given by the web search engines Wolfram Alpha, Google and Microsoft's Bing when the query "the answer to life the universe and everything" is entered as a search.
  • Advanced Micro Device's One off Overlocking CPU was named Phenom 42, with the number being partially from the book The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

You can also use "the answer to life the universe and everything" in place of a number in Google. For example, "the answer to life the universe and everything / 2"

Last edited:
I was asking more about the Firefly references, I already know about the 42 on wiki. ;)

I don't think there are as many. Pretty much watch any show with the actors from Firefly, there will likely be a nod in there somewhere. "Castle" is the most obvious.