The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

Cryptopygia

The Eastern state where you can't fill your tank
Car(s)
Whichever car is still working
Quiz: Does the bridge need to be engineered to carry the weight of the water or the water plus the weight of the ship? Why?
I'm going to say weight of the water only, because the ship displaces it's weight in water (ergo: buoyancy,) so the overall load stays equal.

/lolnerdyness getting in the way of the funnies.

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
None anymore...
Quiz: Does the bridge need to be engineered to carry the weight of the water or the water plus the weight of the ship? Why?
Only the weight of the water.

<Physics advanced course>
The water which is displaced equals the mass of the ship, even though the ship floats and isn't completely submerged so the whole weight doesn't change when a ship goes over the bridge.
</Physics advanced course>

LP

Your Brown Banana for Scale
DONOR
Car(s)
206 HP N/A washing machine
<quantum physics>
There is no bridge
</quantum physics>

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
[IceBone] Surely the upper level is a canal not a river? (hope noone makes any remarks about my displacement) [/IceBone]

Blayde

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'06 Honda Civic EXi, '11 Kia Sportage EX
I wonder how many people think you need to account for the weight of the water and the ship, that means if you swim under a ship it crushes you :lol:

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
None anymore...
Yes, of course that is a canal, it seems it is the Magdeburg Water Bridge.

Btw: this isn't a phenomenon exclusive for Germany, there are many other navigable aqueducts where there is a need of crossing a natural river with a canal.

[edit]
I think the craziest navigable aqueduct isn't in Germany but in the UK: it is the Barton Swing Aqueduct. It's a trough filled with water which can be swung 90? so bigger ships can pass the river underneath. I think that's even more crazy than a ship lift which just goes up and down (well, the Falkirk wheel which is also located in the UK is a crazy ship lift, but at least it is balanced out so for the rotation only needs a 20 kW-engine...).
[/edit]

Last edited:

Shentar

Car(s)
06 Porsche Cayman S, 90 Miata
So I heard there was a 5.9 magnitude earthquake in Virginia today. Photo of the devastation:

Spoiler Text: (Click here to toggle display)

Reactions: haz

Pedrocas

9gag reposting troll
Car(s)
Citroen ZX 1.4i Tonic
Make-up and Hair style.............$500.00 ?
New Dress for the show............$70,000.00 (not sure about this ...)
?Giant Stuffed Bear......................$300.00

Not knowing how to hold the giant bear with a microphone in your hand .... Priceless!