The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

Yeah, they deliberately and knowingly served it at an excessively high temperature. I think you missed the point where she got third-degree burns just from spilling it on herself. At normal temperatures it would be at worst a first-degree burn.

At "normal" temperatures it would be cold.

Coffee is suposed to be served hot!

You guys should watch that whole documentary. It makes it pretty clear why those "silly" lawsuits are not so silly after all. In fact they are a very important part of protecting us consumers.

I'm still getting used to my new motorcycle and I keep letting my right leg rest against the exhaust when I'm stopped at the traffic lights. That exhaust is really hot and it's so uncomfortable that I have to move my leg. This never happened with my Triumph. I should sue Kawasaki and/or Vance and Hines!

Last edited:
But why the fuck is she putting it BETWEEN her legs in a (moving?) car?

I'm wondering if she has at last 1 working brain-cell.

Funny Picture Thread

Funny Picture Thread

No cup holder? She was 81, what do you expect?

She was a passenger in her sons car. They stopped, so she could add the cream and sugar. The car didn't have a cup holder. Old Ford probe, if I remember right.

Oh, so now it's her fault for not having a cupholder? :|

No, it's something that happens. Deal with the risks. I've had to do and have spilled stuff. It sucks.

So you think that it's a reasonable fact of life that you could order a cup of coffee that is so hot that after it's handed to you, that it's so hot that it collapses the cup (even if she was just holding the cup , the same thing would have happened) and gives your crotch 3rd degree burns requiring skin grafts...and you do t think that it's reasonable to sue?

Ok, so I "get" that it's silly that in most peoples eyes, that this was reduced to McDonalds having to put "hot coffee " on the side if their cups. Duh...coffee is hot.

Putting a "slippery when wet" sign around the pool? Yeah...silly ...but you should have to declare that there are pirhanna in said pool. "Sometimes there are pirhanna in water." Shouldn't be good enough.

In the video they talked with her daughter and grandson. The grandson had taken her to McDonald's for coffee on their way home, he pulled into a parking spot so she could put cream and sugar in her coffee, she was having trouble getting the lid off the cup so she put it between her knees, and when the lid finally came off it spilled between her legs. The car was stopped.

There are people who bring frivolous law suits but not all law suits are frivolous. My cousin went to the emergency room because she hurt her back. She told the doctor that her toes were numb. The doctor looked at her and assumed she was looking for drugs (my cousin is part of the 1% biker community). The doctor told her that she was wasting the doctors time and that there was nothing wrong with her. Fast forward a couple of days my cousin ended up back at the ER because her bladder was leaking and she couldn't feel her toes at all. She had a compressed spinal disk so bad that she was almost paralyzed, she now has to catheterize herself to pee and walks like a toddler because she can't pick up her feet. She sued the doctor and won but did not see a penny of it the doctor declared bankruptcy to get out of paying her.

How does that make it legitimate? Coffee is hot. She spilt it on herself. At what point is McDonald's liable for this unless you think restaurants shouldn't be allowed to serve things that are hot?
I think the issue was that the coffee was served at a higher than average temperature.
Yeah, they deliberately and knowingly served it at an excessively high temperature. I think you missed the point where she got third-degree burns just from spilling it on herself. At normal temperatures it would be at worst a first-degree burn.
At "normal" temperatures it would be cold.

Coffee is suposed to be served hot!
Scroll to the bottom. I have a hard time believing anyone would think that serving coffee at temperatures than can do THIS is reasonable. The coffee was so hot it collapsed the cup. It she didn't just "spill it on herself".
No food or drink that is sold "ready for consumption" should have any kind of property that can injure you severely. If you could get away with coffee that's dangerously hot, what would be next? Toxic pesticides - who cares, you should know that you can't eat those strawberries unless you wash them with five gallons of purified water or melamine in baby formula - just fine, everybody knows that you have to filter it first; that sort of thing?

There is something called "common sense" ...

....which is an oxymoron since it's actually rare to the point of being endangered.

In my proper Panda, if I grabbed a coffee on the way to work. Then I would drive with it inbetween my legs. My workplace is a 2 minute drive from McDonalds, if I had spilt the coffee and burned myself it would be my own stupid fault. (Maybe a little bit of Fiats fault for not providing cupholders in their cars designed in the 80's. :p )