The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

Maybe because it all went to shit in a big way. People have died in the snowstorm that hit western New York state. This is what the lake effect snow looked like as it formed just before it hit.

Related:

I wish we would get a proper winter like that again - it's been YEARS and when it happened I had the freaking flu. :<

Also, here is a picture of a embryo, which not everyone would want to see, but it IS kind of interesting/pretty, so I'm posting, but not embedding it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prenatal_development#mediaviewer/File:Human_Embryo.JPG

Last edited:
DlenlYb.jpg

neBDh6i.jpg

I never have understood that. I understand that they don't get much snow, but that little isn't enough to really make a fuss about.

I grew up near West Palm Beach, Florida. The first time I ever seen snow was when I was in ''A" school in Chicago when I was first in the Navy. The first time I ever attempted to drive on snow was the next year near Fredericksburg. I was terrified and generally drove around like an old man and that was less than an inch of snow.
My dad told me Jacksonville got almost an inch in the 80's and everything shut down because there was just no equipment to deal with it. The infrastructure is set up to deal with different normal factors (Jax gets much more rain than most other American cities for example).

I never have understood that. I understand that they don't get much snow, but that little isn't enough to really make a fuss about.

It is an entire city, that is already known for horrible traffic, that doesn't get that kind of weather and has no infrastructure to deal with it added to people who don't know how to handle driving in it, bad things will happen. Still crazy to me and they are certainly open to being made fun of for it.

My friend lived in Atlanta at that time and he said that no one was prepared for any inclement cold weather. They all had summer tires that were useless in the snow and the city only had one plow and no salt or sand.

OK, so, it all happened because no one believed that a storm was coming. When it became apparent that the storm was indeed coming, everyone left work early, and at the same time. As Electric-Mayhem said, Atlanta has really fucked up traffic on the good days much less when there is snow. Further, as LeVeL said, the city and the residents were not prepared, no one in Atlanta buys winter tires, no sand or salt, and the city had one snow plow which didn't roll until after everyone was on the streets. Basically, all of this together caused a huge city-wide traffic jam.

Funny thing is, every time word of snow hits Atlanta everyone panics and goes to buy bread and milk which I don't understand because anyone who lives here knows you aren't going to get snowed-in for days in Atlanta. I was born and raised in Atlanta and know that snow in Atlanta will pretty much be melted by the next day.

Last edited:
When I worked at a grocery store, every time there was a big storm coming, we'd get a run on eggs, milk, bread, toilet paper, cigarettes and coffee.

This was Wisconsin. People already had extra fridges in the basement and/or garage stocked with beer.

Yours aren't?

lol, here you'll have a hard time finding a store that doesn't sell alcohol :lol:

In Illinois you can get the weeks grocery along with a 12-pack, some wine, and vodka all in one transaction.

In Connecticut the only alcohol grocery stores are allowed to sell is beer. Everything else is the province of liquor stores.

No. The closest they can get is having a liquor store connected to them.
You haven't been to Aldi lately then, have you?

Yeah they get a special alcove but there's nothing really separating it from the shop as a whole.

Or indeed to Victoria, it's legal there, just not in NSW.