The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

If a car in the next 24 hours of LeMons doesn't have this amazing new technology I will be sorely disappointed.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2009/02/14/motivator4472156.jpg

On a menu i saw today

I know it looks really stupid, and theres an unnecessary amount of hose, but theoretically, wouldn't this work?

I don't think so. As far as I am considered this is a a Fail-Turbo attempt. Okay, he wants to induce more air in the engine, but you can't do it constantly - that's not how a turbo works. More importantly - what air pressure is that thing producing - how many bars? I seriously doubt this thing acuatlly works.

^Well, you can't argue with the fact that he did actually attach a blower to his engine.

I don't think so. As far as I am considered this is a a Fail-Turbo attempt. Okay, he wants to induce more air in the engine, but you can't do it constantly - that's not how a turbo works. More importantly - what air pressure is that thing producing - how many bars? I seriously doubt this thing acuatlly works.

My electric leafblower would do 180mph wind. Its probably only 3psi max, but it would do something.

While I agree with you that a turbo doesn't work that way, with the turbo lag and all, but isn't this basically an electric-driven supercharger? Just hook up the leaf-blower's throttle to the car's throttle and you're set.

Technically, you are correct. It's more a supercharger than it is a turbocharger.

But how exactly are you going to hook up the leaf-blower's throttle to the car's throttle? It has to be precise.
The only reason this is working in the video, is because they are going full throttle. What's going to happen if you are idling at the lights?

If it was that easy, all cars would've had this.

"you fist me I spit on you"

http://img509.imageshack.**/img509/5493/960xik1.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.**/img509/960xik1.jpg/1/w960.png

Leaf Blowers are measured in CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) with the avg being around 400cfm for electric blowers. Now reference a IHI VF28 (JDM 2.0L STI ver. V turbo) Flows 428cfm at 18psi. Unless i am way off base (and being at work unable to get to 80% of the internet i cannot get to alot of my technical research sites) regardless of PSI the blower is still moving a similar ammount of O2 so i wouldn't say it's doing nothing.

But how exactly are you going to hook up the leaf-blower's throttle to the car's throttle? It has to be precise. The only reason this is working in the video, is because they are going full throttle. What's going to happen if you are idling at the lights?

I am sure you could rig it up with a momentary switch alla boost button on the old arcade racing games. Or use something like a fan variable speed controler attached directly to the throttle so you would get rising "boost" as you opened the throttle. also you could just plumb in a BOV which would vent the "boost" that is being produced by the blower when you are not at WOT

for real hilarity somone needs to mount one of these things on a 50cc scooter i am sure the "boost" would blow the engine but i bet it would be super fun right before it went

Last edited:
Leaf Blowers are measured in CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) with the avg being around 400cfm for electric blowers. Now reference a IHI VF28 (JDM 2.0L STI ver. V turbo) Flows 428cfm at 18psi. Unless i am way off base (and being at work unable to get to 80% of the internet i cannot confirm this) regardless of PSI the blower is still moving a similar ammount of O2 so i wouldn't say it's doing nothing.
The key part of that is "at 18psi". IIRC from reading about this once upon a time, electric leafblowers can only manage about 3psi.

The key part of that is "at 18psi". IIRC from reading about this once upon a time, electric leafblowers can only manage about 3psi.

Yeah initially i was thinking that PSI was a somewhat arbitrary number and the amount of air moved is more important but the PSI is the force with which the air is being rammed into the motor so it's actually very important. This is why i need to make sure i have all the information straight in my head before i post. Ah well i still think my 50cc scooter idea is fucking awesome...

Ah well i still think my 50cc scooter idea is fucking awesome...

Hmmm... I have an old 50cc scooter just gathering dust in my garage...

I wonder if it's possible to work it as a remote button on the handlebars and have the "blower" in the front basket sucking in oncoming air and directing it down a hose to the tiny motor.

This almost sounds like a horrible Top Gear challenge.
:p

It could be achieved Mad Max-style :) He had a belt driven supercharger with on/off switch on the "last of the V8 interceptors".

Yeah mercedes has electromagnetic clutches on some of their superchargers as well IIRC