The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

He ended it with an "at". That's one of the examples that "ending sentences with prepositions" deals with. <-- this sentence, however, isn't one of them.

so?

-"what are you looking at", sounds a lot better than "at what are you looking"?
same with "where are you going to?"

and he couldn't say "look where i am now". that would point to his position, not his situation...

i'd love some input form some native english speaking people...

AFAIK the expression "look where I'm at" is gramatically incorrect anyway...

a correct version would be "look where I am now"

bone: whether it sounds better or not, it's still incorrect. Until it's confirmed by whoever runs the rules of the English language, it will remain incorrect, no matter how much it's used in coloquialism. Also, the bum did mean his situation.

Ending a sentence with a preposition is not incorrect grammar, it is just considered informal or improper by most. It is completely sound by grammatical rules.

There's not a single picture on this page!

469758086_051b1dd752.jpg

Last edited:
bone: whether it sounds better or not, it's still incorrect. Until it's confirmed by whoever runs the rules of the English language, it will remain incorrect, no matter how much it's used in coloquialism. Also, the bum did mean his situation.

Colloquial use of language is what dictates the way words and phrases are created and modified within that language; the people who run the rules have no say in the matter(or rather that their say is more or less irrelevant). Like with the acceptance of the verbification of the word 'water' (I watered the plants), or more recently, 'parent' (I'd chalk it up to bad parenting) and with 'text' soon to follow. There are plenty of linguists who object to the direction that a language is taking, but they can either go with it, or get left behind and looking like a douchecock every time they point out the 'correct' way to use a word or phrase in the original sense.

also, spitfire was right anyways

Last edited:
Assnozzle (? NooDle NV) is the Best Word Ever?!

Last edited:

Klink.jpg

Language isn't some inflexible, unchanging tome carved into the side of a monolith for people to adhere to strictly. It's constantly changing and evolving over time, and what's formerly thought of as "colloquialisms" (while we're at it, spell it RIGHT) gradually become commonly accepted into the fold by linguistics experts, grammar educators and, most importantly, the language's speakers alike.

Also, your e-penis must be gargantuan.

Writing "where are you at?" and writing, uh, that chicken scratch is a hell of a slippery slope...

+rep for the truth.

Also, I agree with Ice and am giving him +rep to counteract the -rep he has undoubtedly received.

EDIT: Curses! Must spread more grammar before blah blah blah...

Last edited:
Well, if you consider the state of the English language only a few decades ago compared to what it is now, it's not THAT slippery.