The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

It doesn't but in the US the IRS assumes a certain rate of tipping and taxes based on that, whether or not you actually get it.

I totally agree that tips should not be expected. I almost always under-tip unless the service was amazing. Even then I'm stingy. I used to work a min-wage job with no tips, dealing with shithead customers, why should I pander to foodservice people?

Because in this country they make less than minimum wage, often as little as $2/hour. Their ability to pay rent is entirely dependent on whether or not you decide to pay them for their work.

It's a shitty system and I have no idea how it became legal to pay those in the service industries less than minimum wage, but for some reason that is how it is. So don't be a dick and help your waitress pay rent this month.

Because in this country they make less than minimum wage, often as little as $2/hour. Their ability to pay rent is entirely dependent on whether or not you decide to pay them for their work.

It's a shitty system and I have no idea how it became legal to pay those in the service industries less than minimum wage, but for some reason that is how it is. So don't be a dick and help your waitress pay rent this month.

If their tips don't bring them above minimum wage, the employer has to make up for the shortfall. By the way, pictures. :p

Er.... since when? I've worked in food service for most of my life and I've always been paid at least min. wage, + tips.

If their tips don't bring them above minimum wage, the employer has to make up for the shortfall. By the way, pictures. :p

That is if it doesn't average out over the course of the waitstaff's shift.

Er.... since when? I've worked in food service for most of my life and I've always been paid at least min. wage, + tips.

What job were you performing? Kitchen staff tend to make more, even if it is only slightly more. And not every state is the same on this. Some still require minimum wage for the waitstaff too.

And not just California, San Francisco, which has it's own labor laws that are even more demanding than the rest of the state in some cases.

I remember when I started working, I was making minimum wage of $4.25, but I had friends who worked at restaurants who made as little as $1.70/hr. However, with tips, they were guaranteed to make $4.25/hr. If they didn't, the employer was required (by the state) to make up the difference...however, you can be dam sure that the employer wouldn't want to keep around employees that needed wage subsidies. Yes, they were required to pay it, but they wouldn't keep you around if they had to do it too often.

This was Wisconsin, by the way...not Commi-fornia. :rolleyes:

The purpose of a tip is that it doesn't appear on the taxes...
Tipping is taxable income of services rendered and you are to account for it on your tax declaration. Granted the chance of being caught is probably low, but nevertheless.

9gagturtle rescues me from derailment
TPJxG.jpg

Last edited:
Obligatory video

[video=youtube;Z-qV9wVGb38]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38[/video]

Probably reposts, but they're pics.... :tease:

Last edited:
Good to see that Smart car is still doing the rounds, I posted that on here about 5 years ago. :lol:

I know where you got that from ;)