The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

In Much of California...one will be supplied at a cost of 10 cents per bag, and they have to be paper.

As ridiculous as many people think...I get WAAAAAY fewer plastic bags blowing through my yard.

Odd question, but is it standard for recycling to be put in bins in California? Here the big grocery stores bag stuff in blue plastic bags which are recognized as recycling containers by all the refuse companies (though bins are of course accepted as well). So every other week many/most people take the blue bags their groceries came in, fill them with recyclables, then set them out on the curb and go get more blue bags next grocery trip.

Odd question, but is it standard for recycling to be put in bins in California? Here the big grocery stores bag stuff in blue plastic bags which are recognized as recycling containers by all the refuse companies (though bins are of course accepted as well). So every other week many/most people take the blue bags their groceries came in, fill them with recyclables, then set them out on the curb and go get more blue bags next grocery trip.

Probably depends on the municipality, just like PA (recyclables can't be in plastic bags in Bethlehem).

Here in Adelaide and the entire SA they've stopped giving free plastic bags at all major stores since 2008. So you'll have to buy a plastic bag for 15c, or bring your own. I always thought it was just a way to raise profits. And I hated it as I always reuse the plastic bags as garbage bin bags. However, little by little, shops are starting to provide plastic bags again recently.

^i don't know how the law is around here, but the big chains also stopped providing bags.

they do throw all the boxes of stuff they put in the shelves on a big pile, and you're free to take one of those to carry your stuff to your car...
(and when they empty a chiquita box, people are lining up to get their hands on it :lol:)

Last edited:
^i don't know how the law is around here, but the big chains also stopped providing bags.
[...]

Currently in France there is this big public discussion that "oh noes! they?ll be taking away maaaah buckettt the free bags!!" because they will be outlawed(?) here sometime next year (or the one after, I wasn?t really paying attention to the details). Wich is sort of funny, because I think in Germany I haven?t seen free Bags in Supermarkets for 20 years or so.

anyway ...
funny-wv-golf-bag.jpg

New-arrival-kitchen-knife-bag-coin-purse-mobile-phone-bag-personality-clutch-women-s-handbag-nov.jpg

Last edited:
'Round here, it was purely a pollution/waste thing, as the 10 cents for a paper bag is not a tax...it goes to the store who can no longer provide plastic bags at all (unless they are biodegradable). If I remember right, they are trying to pass a state-wide ban on plastic bags. There are exceptions that let smaller businesses slide...but not forever.

People are really getting into the habit of bringing reusable bags. Thank you, Tim Minchin. *sings* "Take your canvas bags..."

My neighborhood, our recyclables are not supposed to be in plastic bags (just loose in the bins).

I definitely used to use the plastic grocery bags for trashbags, especially in bathrooms and the home office...but now I have to buy bags to throw away...

I raise your ten cent bags with twenty cent bags! Altough that only applies to groceries, if you go to electronic warehouses your bags will still be free because it'd be cheap to ask for money for a bag for your expensive PS4... When I'm grocerying (?) I always reuse old bags, I prefer the kraft paper kind. Altough the 300 liter blue tarp FRAKTA from IKEA is also pretty sweet.

Last edited:
BzrI59CIYAEt_dY.jpg

This seems a little familiar.

I always wondered about that statistic that always got thrown around "blah blah billions of plastic bags end up in landfills every year"...but I wonder just how many of them are there because they are trash bags? Now, I'm buying bags to throw away, instead. :)

My local recycle-ry doesn't accept plastic bags or any sort of cellophane, so they ended up in the trash no matter what.

Last edited:
Dedicated trash bags over here are very thin plastic, while bags to carry your groceries in are not. They're also not coloured or printed with store logos.
Using proper trash bags therefore cuts down on waste significantly.

I raise your ten cent bags with twenty cent bags! Altough that only applies to groceries, if you go to electronic warehouses your bags will still be free because it'd be cheap to ask for money for a bag for your expensive PS4... When I'm grocerying (?) I always reuse old bags, I prefer the kraft paper kind. Altough the 300 liter blue tarp FRAKTA from IKEA is also pretty sweet.

:motherofgod: