The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

You haven't been to Aldi lately then, have you?

Yeah they get a special alcove but there's nothing really separating it from the shop as a whole.

No, I don't shop at Aldi. I find their past attempts to undermine the workplace rights of Australian retail employees absolutely disgusting.

lol, here you'll have a hard time finding a store that doesn't sell alcohol :lol:

This. Basically everything sells alcohol, or atleast beer, even petrol stations, etc.

This. Basically everything sells alcohol, or atleast beer, even petrol stations, etc.

We have beer at gas stations here as well. And in grocery stores and liquor stores. Probably a few other places as well. It always amazes me how different the liquor laws are from state to state in the US.

It's cute that the colonies still have our old traditions. :p

Buy booze wherever you want here along with tins of beans, drink it out of a bottle in a paper bag and shout at the ducks. I would find bans of selling alcohol in certain places very strange indeed and would be quite thirsty.

I dont get it.
You must keep you alcohol in a brown paper bag, but you can kill someone in your garden, and the last one is legal.

But freedom...right?

Everybody has their own idea of freedom. Ask 37 people and they will all have a different answer.

Pennsylvania has drive-through beer distributors :lol:

This is not typical. We have the second most draconian liquor controls in the nation (first being Utah). It was only a few years ago grocery stores were allowed to sell a small selection of beers with restrictions. Outside of that it's divided between independent beer/malt beverage distributors that are not allowed to sell you individual bottles/cans (they must be packs or cases or pallets) and state-run liquor stores.

It's cute that the colonies still have our old traditions. :p

Buy booze wherever you want here along with tins of beans, drink it out of a bottle in a paper bag and shout at the ducks. I would find bans of selling alcohol in certain places very strange indeed and would be quite thirsty.

There are areas that have liquor bans in the states too. I guess that is for the lack of freedom that we so desperately desire?

Whereas in Connecticut the law was only changed a couple years ago allowing people to buy alcohol on Sundays.

I find this discussion amusing, since we can buy alcohol anytime, anywhere (gas stations, supermarkets, etc).

Whereas in Connecticut the law was only changed a couple years ago allowing people to buy alcohol on Sundays.

The law was prohibiting the sale of alcohol, not the purchase. And the way I understand it, many a small shop-keeper fought the change for years on the account that they don't have the resources (or will) to stay open on Sunday and therefore no one else should have any fun either.

Yet passengers are allowed to drink in a moving car, if my brief check at Wikipedia was correct.

Which is perfectly sensible. You're not the one driving and transport of drunks is not illegal. I'm sure the driver can still be penalized if the actions of their drunken passengers are found to have caused or contributed to a traffic violation or accident.

I find this discussion amusing, since we can buy alcohol anytime, anywhere (gas stations, supermarkets, etc).

Such is the nature of the society. I'm pretty sure every country/region has some laws others find..."amusing".

Last edited:
No open containers containing alcoholic beverages are allowed in a moving vehicle.

Which is perfectly sensible. You're not the one driving and transport of drunks is not illegal. I'm sure the driver can still be penalized if the actions of their drunken passengers are found to have caused or contributed to a traffic violation or accident.

Most logical reason is to avoid having the driver drink, and then just pass the can/bottle to one of the passengers when he sees a cop.

So :

No open containers containing alcoholic beverages are allowed in a moving vehicle.

does make sense.