The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

Eh. I don't drink and I've had a cousin killed by a drunk driver (and then the next Christmas, her older sister killer someone else as a drunk driver). And yet, I find the "open container" laws sort of odd. Who cares if you are drinking a beer or a soda while you're driving, as long as you're not drunk.?

However, if you are caught driving drunk, you deserve the maximum punishment your local laws can hand out.

:nod: you can still drive drunk without having an open container in the car, it's a terrible way to determine whether you should check someone's level of intoxication or not.

Yeah, it's rather silly. But then again, if you do see an open container, like a vodka bottle, it can make things quite clear.

Yeah, it's rather silly. But then again, if you do see an open container, like a vodka bottle, it can make things quite clear.

Not really, one (the open bottle) has nothing to do with the other (whether the driver is legally able to drive or not).

I once brought an expensive bottle of booze to a gathering. Not all of it was consumed. Because it was opened, I didn't want it to leak in case it re-popped open in my trunk. So, I had my passenger hold on to it. The whole drive home, I was paranoid that I would get pulled over for something mundane like a burned-out tail light, and then the cop would find out about the open container within the passenger cabin and the dead hooker in the trunk.

I didn't have a single drink, and yet, I had to be paranoid about that open container the whole drive home.

Why would you drink beer or vodka while driving?

Why would you drink beer or vodka while driving?
Because it's hard to mix cocktails while on the move?

I drove around with half a bottle of vodka and a box of beer in my rear footwell for about a fortnight a while ago. It was after a party and I never got around to taking it out the car until the next time I went to a party. :lol:

NecroJoe said:
Who cares if you are drinking a beer or a soda while you're driving, as long as you're not drunk.?
In the UK eating or drinking anything whilst driving is illegal.

Pizza delivery guys also deliver beer :dunno: there's even dedicated liquor delivery services that operate during the weekends in case your party runs low.
We can get alcohol delivered here.

No open containers containing alcoholic beverages are allowed in a moving vehicle.
Same in Massachusetts. Re-corked bottle of wine in a bag in the back seat can land you in jail.

Eating I can understand, I suppose...but no drinking at all? Do you have to pull over and shut down any time you want a sip of water on a roadtrip?

[citation needed]
Eating I can understand, I suppose...but no drinking at all? Do you have to pull over and shut down any time you want a sip of water on a roadtrip?

I would outlaw drinking before eating as drinking without a straw often requires a partial obstruction of vision and/or tilting of head while eating a hand-held food only requires hand and mouth action.

Interesting, I've always been under the impression it was banned a few years ago, as were most of the people I've talked to.

I'm certain people have been charged for eating/drinking while driving, but I guess that falls into the whole "not being in control" aspect of things.

And then the invariable look down to the container you're eating out of so that you can dip your fries in your ranch dressing, or swerve maniacally while you try to wipe up the burger sauce you just dropped on yourself from the back of the burger. :lol:

Interesting, I've always been under the impression it was banned a few years ago, as were most of the people I've talked to.

I'm certain people have been charged for eating/drinking while driving, but I guess that falls into the whole "not being in control" aspect of things.
Maybe you should stop reading the Daily Fail. :p

text_with_math_page_preview_400_formula_1.png

Same in Massachusetts. Re-corked bottle of wine in a bag in the back seat can land you in jail.

So, after you opened it, you might as well drink it all, at home? By that logic, you can't transport other open bottles either?
Sounds a bit draconian.

So, after you opened it, you might as well drink it all, at home? By that logic, you can't transport other open bottles either?
Sounds a bit draconian.

My dad says when he was young and caught drinking and driving, they would dump his beer out and tell him to go home. That's probably why the laws are much more strict.

My dad says when he was young and caught drinking and driving, they would dump his beer out and tell him to go home. That's probably why the laws are much more strict.
A bit OT but "go home driver, you're drunk"