The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

It's Snooki from Jersey Shore. I only know this because my exgirlfriend watched that fucking show.

What if you know who both are, but you don't know why you know the one on the right?

Then you need to set up CCTV in the house because you probably binge-watch that shit while asleep. :p

No idea who she is.

It's a bad reference anyway...the show hasn't been on in years.

It's Snooki from Jersey Shore. I only know this because my exgirlfriend watched that fucking show.

I only know that because of the internet. Wasn't she some kind of meme for a minute?

It's like Beiber. If the internet didn't complain about him I wouldn't know who he is.

If I know both, but the one on the right only because of some wikipedia research after watching a SouthPark episode, is that alright?

I just don't care. Can we get some math going on again?

3+3=6

66fad71e49373cd776f28b08290c3514.jpg

Speaking of maths. Can someone help me with a problem I ran into today? Had a customer come in needing a plate for the step of his airplane showing the maximum weight capacity. The problem was trying to figure the circumference of an oval. I looked up the formula and came up with the same number he did, ~4.66. The dimensions are 1.73 wide by .81 tall. I tried a couple online calcs, but they were all over the map as to the solution. I even went to the step of cutting an oval that size out of plastic and measuring the circumference with a cloth tape, but got something in the 4.25 area. Thanks!

I just quickly made up that oval/ellipse in Autodesk 123D Design and it says 4.12". :)

Ellipses are ovals, but ovals are not ellipses, right?

An oval technically doesn't have a single definition. It's either a shape much like an ellipse, defined by 2 pairs of identical circles in a specific pattern:

640px-Owal_by_Zureks.svg.png

(the red one is the ellipse)

or it's two halves of a circle connected by straight lines (stadium track)

Oval2.PNG

Or it can be any circular shape, reminiscent of an egg (hence its name).

It's... confusing.

I'm sure this is as old as dirt, but I found it humorous.

E5BqHzs.png