The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

The Booking.com app gives each bunch of hotel reservations that it groups into one trip a name, such as “your trip to Belgium” or “Stockholm and London”.

But sometimes, it just gives up.
F90DCC06-0FBF-4526-968A-3F34EE92BEF1.jpeg

😂

The Booking.com app gives each bunch of hotel reservations that it groups into one trip a name, such as “your trip to Belgium” or “Stockholm and London”.

But sometimes, it just gives up.
View attachment 3565122
😂
My Google Timeline will attempt the same, but often fails to prioritize sanely. For example:

Screenshot_20220527-230853.png

This trip also included Italy, Switzerland, France, the Nürburgring, etc. - but let's highlight the first hotel stop instead of whole countries 😂

That's not something I ever want to see out on the road. Rolling backwards isn't a normal part of driving a manual!

1654023801388.png

Rolling backwards isn't a normal part of driving a manual!

On a slight uphill stop, sure an inch or two is normal. I had someone today, while driving the BRZ, that would get right up behind me at every stop light. I was very careful not to roll back any so I didn't accidentally bump him. Of course he's the idiot for getting too close, but I don't want to have that argument.

On a slight uphill stop, sure an inch or two is normal. I had someone today, while driving the BRZ, that would get right up behind me at every stop light. I was very careful not to roll back any so I didn't accidentally bump him. Of course he's the idiot for getting too close, but I don't want to have that argument.
Roll back, and the other drivers that don't respect it, is why I'd never own a manual as long as I need to drive in places like this regularly:

1_1ULziAXpG8sW4cbtS2xLtA.jpeg.jpg

That's when you implement the "Parking Brake Maneuver". Although, we have nothing quite that severe here.
The vehicle I had when I moved here, it had a parking brake pedal. Definitely trickier than cars with a "handbrake". Ha! I guess, though, that many new manual cars have a "hill assist" mode. Do those work well?

The vehicle I had when I moved here, it had a parking brake pedal. Definitely trickier than cars with a "handbrake". Ha! I guess, though, that many new manual cars have a "hill assist" mode. Do those work well?

I learned to do the parking brake maneuver with a mid-'80s Toyota truck. They had a hand brake in the dash. That was interesting.

I don't own anything new enough to have hill assist. Dad's Tahoe has it, but it works randomly and is an automatic anyway.

When I had that fiat, it had Hill assist as well, which had a mechanical had brake. Just my mk7 golf gti. MK7 golfs in the US and Canada were built with a mechanical hand brake compared with the Wolfsburg built golfs. So even the MK7 golf R had an electronic one because all the other golfs for North America were built in Pueblo and that’s just what VW chose.

Hill assist is weird when you drove manual cars without it all your life.
First time it felt really weird. I was expecting the car to roll back but it just stood there, and I was really puzzled until I remembered the hill assist.

I didn't expect this to spark as much conversation, I'll admit I hadn't considered those stupid foot/hand parking brakes but generally I don't allow myself any tolerance for rolling back when driving a manual. I've never had hill assist but Land Rovers with beefy clutches make it a lot easier, it's a bit trickier in the Mazda but I haven't needed to do too many hill starts in it yet.

I didn't expect this to spark as much conversation, I'll admit I hadn't considered those stupid foot/hand parking brakes but generally I don't allow myself any tolerance for rolling back when driving a manual. I've never had hill assist but Land Rovers with beefy clutches make it a lot easier, it's a bit trickier in the Mazda but I haven't needed to do too many hill starts in it yet.

What I’ve done on hill starts is I’ll use the hand brake, and as soon as the rpm’s drop from letting the clutch out, I ease off the parking brake and as the engine pulls me forward, I’ll release it completely.

What I’ve done on hill starts is I’ll use the hand brake, and as soon as the rpm’s drop from letting the clutch out, I ease off the parking brake and as the engine pulls me forward, I’ll release it completely.

I.E. the "Parking Brake Maneuver"