• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

The future of NASCAR

YF19pilot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Messages
2,768
Location
Massillon, OH
Car(s)
2006 Honda Civic Coupe
I know most of the forum could probably care less about "red necks going around in circles" but it seems theres going to be some interesting changes in the next few years, even if only visually. (Sorry, I go to school in Daytona, so it's hard to avoid...and I kinda like NASCAR)

First story: NASCAR is going Unleaded in 2008

Due to rising health concerns amongst mechanics and crew working on cars, NASCAR has decided to begin using Unleaded fuel starting in the '08 season. The concern has come around due to the rise in lead exposure amongst crew, and the lack of safety regulations imposed by NASCAR as far has working around the cars. Many teams have self implemented rules such as masks and gloves, but are relieved to know that NASCAR has finally taken action.

Second story: Toyota is going for the cup in '07

Although already suspected for the past year, Toyota is scheduled to confirm their plans to join the Busch and Cup series of NASCAR. The news was leaked earlier this week by an inside informant. If the automaker -- which will be the first foreign manufacture in NASCAR in over 50 years (Jaguar was running the circuits in the 1950s). Toyota has already been running in the truck series, and is expanding in motorsports all around. Some speculate that Honda may follow.

Third story: The Car of Tommarow

Yesterday saw the in house model of NASCAR's "Car of Tommarrow" running test laps with the concept built by Petty Enterprises. The cars have some very obvious design changes that may see implementation as soon as 2007.

The most obvious difference is the winged spoiler -- something that was outlawed after the '69 and '70 seasons in which the Dodge Daytona Charger and Plymouth Superbird dominated with their huge trademark wings.

The other changes include the body being moved back slightly -- meaning the front wheel being closer to the bumper and a bit less room in the rear. The front bumper is also seeing the addition of a spoiler to help with front end downforce. The windsheild is being set at a higher angle to help produce more drag and slow the cars down on superspeedways.

Some more subtle changes include the position of the exhaust pipe, and the cockpit seat being moved three inches toward the center of the car.
 
Re: The future of NASCAR

YF19pilot said:
Second story: Toyota is going for the cup in '07

Although already suspected for the past year, Toyota is scheduled to confirm their plans to join the Busch and Cup series of NASCAR. The news was leaked earlier this week by an inside informant. If the automaker -- which will be the first foreign manufacture in NASCAR in over 50 years (Jaguar was running the circuits in the 1950s). Toyota has already been running in the truck series, and is expanding in motorsports all around. Some speculate that Honda may follow.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go Toyota!!!! and if Honda joins....go Honda even more!!!!!!!

I cant wait till they join and start winning races. I like them so much cuz most of the redneck fans hate toyota joining nascar...so this means that i automaticaly like toyota. :D :mrgreen: :thumbsup:
 
Re: The future of NASCAR

p0w3r said:
YF19pilot said:
Second story: Toyota is going for the cup in '07

Although already suspected for the past year, Toyota is scheduled to confirm their plans to join the Busch and Cup series of NASCAR. The news was leaked earlier this week by an inside informant. If the automaker -- which will be the first foreign manufacture in NASCAR in over 50 years (Jaguar was running the circuits in the 1950s). Toyota has already been running in the truck series, and is expanding in motorsports all around. Some speculate that Honda may follow.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go Toyota!!!! and if Honda joins....go Honda even more!!!!!!!

I cant wait till they join and start winning races. I like them so much cuz most of the redneck fans hate toyota joining nascar...so this means that i automaticaly like toyota. :D :mrgreen: :thumbsup:


I think it's funny how most people who don't follow NASCAR hold this view of it. From what I've seen, most fans of NASCAR see Toyota joining as a good thing -- more variaty in the pack. Sorry to spoil your fun.
 
Re: The future of NASCAR

YF19pilot said:
First story: NASCAR is going Unleaded in 2008

Due to rising health concerns amongst mechanics and crew working on cars, NASCAR has decided to begin using Unleaded fuel starting in the '08 season. The concern has come around due to the rise in lead exposure amongst crew, and the lack of safety regulations imposed by NASCAR as far has working around the cars. Many teams have self implemented rules such as masks and gloves, but are relieved to know that NASCAR has finally taken action.
I always knew NASCAR was low-tech, but leaded fuel?! :?

Watch Toyota dominate all the races, followed by rioting by the fans. "They bombed Pearl Harbor, y'know." -Jimmy Spencer
 
Tracey gets a ride in Nascar.
Former Champ Car World Series champion Paul Tracy will run five NASCAR Busch Series races this year in anticipation of going full-time NASCAR racing in 2007. The 2003 CCWS champion will drive No. 34 Chevrolet Monte Carlos for Frank Cicci and ex-NFL quarterback Jim Kelly.
:thumbsup:
 
Re: The future of NASCAR

YF19pilot said:
I know most of the forum could probably care less about "red necks going around in circles" but it seems theres going to be some interesting changes in the next few years, even if only visually.

No, I couldn't care less about NASCAR.
 
NASCAR is nothing but an advertisement circus.
It's low-tech, low cost, and simply primitive. I don't know of any other racing series named after an advertiser.

America has NASCAR and look how far their cars have progressed. Europe has Formula One and look at the technology the Italians and Germans have!
 
Z Draci said:
NASCAR is nothing but an advertisement circus.
It's low-tech, low cost, and simply primitive. I don't know of any other racing series named after an advertiser.

America has NASCAR and look how far their cars have progressed. Europe has Formula One and look at the technology the Italians and Germans have!
i dont know too much about F1, but hasnt it become an advertising competition as well?
 
Can anyone please tell me why its "the most popular motorsport in the world"? I watched it for 2 mins and was tired of the boredom. its the most crapiest thing ever. it even beats golf...

any comments?
 
mojo_786 said:
Can anyone please tell me why its "the most popular motorsport in the world"? I watched it for 2 mins and was tired of the boredom. its the most crapiest thing ever. it even beats golf...

any comments?

You're a close minded fool who only wants to add to the already large anti-NASCAR drivel?

Other than that, the reason why NASCAR is considered the most popular is because the powers that be realize how much can be gained by marketing the sport -- something the FIA has been trying to do with F-1, albeit unsuccessfully in the US at least.
 
You're a close minded fool who only wants to add to the already large anti-NASCAR drivel?

YOU could say that... i tried to like it. forced myself to watch it still the result was me changing the channel. there are some tracks that are fun to watch with few twists and turns but besides that the oval rings are just waste of time. On top of that the race consists of soo many laps, in hundreds. thats just ridiculous. Ya the cars are powerfull or watever you say they are.. but that cant be the reason why so many people like it or hate it. lemans or F1 races are fun to watch. but this?

waiting for ur response
 
Re: The future of NASCAR

YF19pilot said:
p0w3r said:
YF19pilot said:
Second story: Toyota is going for the cup in '07

Although already suspected for the past year, Toyota is scheduled to confirm their plans to join the Busch and Cup series of NASCAR. The news was leaked earlier this week by an inside informant. If the automaker -- which will be the first foreign manufacture in NASCAR in over 50 years (Jaguar was running the circuits in the 1950s). Toyota has already been running in the truck series, and is expanding in motorsports all around. Some speculate that Honda may follow.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go Toyota!!!! and if Honda joins....go Honda even more!!!!!!!

I cant wait till they join and start winning races. I like them so much cuz most of the redneck fans hate toyota joining nascar...so this means that i automaticaly like toyota. :D :mrgreen: :thumbsup:


I think it's funny how most people who don't follow NASCAR hold this view of it. From what I've seen, most fans of NASCAR see Toyota joining as a good thing -- more variaty in the pack. Sorry to spoil your fun.
heh, you would be surprised. I do follow nascar, but not as much as i used to and most redneck nascar fans hate toyota or any "foreign crap" coming into nascar. now then there are the many nascar fans who are not rednecks, but im not talking about them right now. ;)
 
YF19pilot said:
You're a close minded fool who only wants to add to the already large anti-NASCAR drivel?

Other than that, the reason why NASCAR is considered the most popular is because the powers that be realize how much can be gained by marketing the sport -- something the FIA has been trying to do with F-1, albeit unsuccessfully in the US at least.

It really isn't the most popular motorsport. Formula 1 is watched by a far greater audience, simply because it is an international autosport, which NASCAR isn't. It's America's most watched, because really, what else do they have? The promotors then tend to generalize and nobody asks, so it becomes the most popular, period.

NASCAR is a marmite sport. You either get sucked into it, for whatever reason, don't ask me, I always get bored after about 2 minutes, or you don't like it and don't want to get bothered with some fat guys driving metal tubes around a big oval.
And if you don't like it you don't, but the people who do like NASCAR take the much beloved angry american route and tell everyone that they are "a close minded fool who only wants to add to the already large anti-NASCAR drivel". Which in fact they are themselves by stating such a comment.

For most it just doesn't have the appeal of it's most compared rival, Formula 1. But technically, they are very different things. NASCAR is a low-tech, low-cost simple sport that focusses on driver rivalry. The driving skills in NASCAR are not based on the ability to steer a car around a corner, but to position it well within a pack of others and use them to you advantage.
Formula 1 is based on technical superiority, aided by the drivers ability to make a car go around a technical course as quickly as possible, without taking other drivers into real consideration (largely simplified). Formula 1 is very high-cost and only operated by a distinct few, which is very much against the american spirit of general availibility to all, or at least most.

Which is why there isn't an american motorsport to match it, simply because they can't find anybody who'd want to build a such a vehicle. NASCAR vehicles are big, so there is lots of room for ads, and they are cheap and easy to produce, and repair, so many can do it.

So please don't tell me that I am a close minded idiot for not watching NASCAR. I just can't get myself to sit infront of a TV, watch those flimsy bits of low-tech metal, that I could have built myself, race around an oval. Even if you want to argue that their speed is so great, I've gone 180mph on the autobahn and it's neither that scary, nor that fast. And you definatly don't need a race car do do it.
So I rather watch Forumla 1, be astonished of what these cars do, what an amazing feat of engineering those racecars are and wonder how the drivers can be as precise and consistent as they are. That I find entertaining, because I could not do what they do, both physically and mentally. And I couldn't build a carbon-fiber body and a 20k revving V8 in my backyard, which is sad, but true.
 
Some valid points on both sides.
What I dislike is: Why the hell only ovals? (Okay, I know it?s not ONLY ovals, but mostly ovals...) This just adds to the stereotype that Americans can?t go around corners. Even if they?re low-tech they should be able to go around a proper racetrack. :|
 
I'm not saying that someone is a close minded idiot for not liking NASCAR, but when the only thing someone can add to a conversation is just general rehashed insults about it, it gets annoying quick.

And as for a few of the comments, yes there are people in America willing to build cars like F-1. Ever hear of IRL?

And the Stock Cars used in the higher levels of NASCAR aren't as cheap and easy to build as you make it out to be. True, successful teams can build track-specific cars, but teams that are struggling can barely affoard one or two cars. Stock cars may not be the pinicale of automotive technology, but they're not back yard projects either.
 
Redliner said:
Some valid points on both sides.
What I dislike is: Why the hell only ovals? (Okay, I know it?s not ONLY ovals, but mostly ovals...) This just adds to the stereotype that Americans can?t go around corners. Even if they?re low-tech they should be able to go around a proper racetrack. :|

It's because that's what NASCAR started out with back in the heydays of the 1940s. Oval tracks can be small and cheap and easy to build (and alot easier to do than to convince a city to close down roads for a race), and that's what NASCAR ran on. I wouldn't mind seeing more road courses, but NASCAR is more about racing in a pack. Running on road circuits tends to spread the field out. But who knows, with the new aeropackage coming in we may see more road courses...
 
I think NASCAR's big problem is the fact that it's typical american motorsports. And typical american motorsports(oval racing, drag racing) is all about spectacle, loud noise and high speeds in very close aproximity to the spectator. Oval racing is perfect for that, as a spectator can see the whole circuit at all times and doesn't miss any action, like he would if he'd be watching in one corner of Nordschleife, for example.

Now that's all good for a spectator next to the track, but the problem is that TV absolutely kills the noise, speed, the approximity, the whole spectacle. I'd rarely watch NASCAR on telly even if I had the chance to watch all races, but if I could visit any Cup race I would jump for joy.
 
NASCAR: the winner drives for the money
F1: the money drives for the win
 
thanks Dins

It makes alot more sense now that I have a little understanding of what NASCAR really is. It is interesting.. well sort of. I'll try watching more races. just to get the feel of it. but i doubt that'll change anything

Mojo
 
Top