The Gay Marriage Question Thread

The Gay Marriage Question Thread

• Nothing wrong with it. It doesn't affect me so who am I to stand in the way of others' happiness?

Votes: 130 90.9%
  • I don't really have any feelings either way.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • It's wrong because the religion I practise teaches that and so I believe it to be wrong.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I think it's wrong but I can't think of any particular reason why.

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
We also have members that thinks it's totally ok to sentence innocent people to death.

25810.jpg

I'm guessing that's from the Political section, where I don't go at all, except this thread.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, even if their opinion is wrong by your standards, or mine or the rest of the civilized world.
And while I respect the people who oppose abortion, as abortion, depending on ones stance, might be understood as killing babies.

Gay marriage isn't even close to that. Gay marriage doesn't hurt any third party. So it's immoral to oppose it.

View attachment 7797

I'm guessing that's from the Political section, where I don't go at all, except this thread.
It's the premise of the death penalty. If you accept that innocent people get convicted by proper courts of law, and they are, all the time, you have to accept that if there is a death penalty, innocent people will be killed in your name. It's one of the strongest arguments against the death penalty.

While all supporters of the death penalty has to accept that, there are those who look at individual cases of it happening and still doesn't care.

Those are extraordinarily arrogant.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, even if their opinion is wrong by your standards, or mine or the rest of the civilized world.

The key word there is civilised. Why I am one of the first to complain about people hiding behind human rights in order to get away with things or to mediate their punishment there are certain rights that we all have or at least should have. One of the most basic of which is to be left the hell alone if you aren't breaking any (civilised) law or hurting anyone.

It's the premise of the death penalty. If you accept that innocent people get convicted by proper courts of law, and they are, all the time, you have to accept that if there is a death penalty, innocent people will be killed in your name. It's one of the strongest arguments against the death penalty.

While all supporters of the death penalty has to accept that, there are those who look at individual cases of it happening and still doesn't care.

Those are extraordinarily arrogant.

Ah, OK I get it now. Thought that someone actually wanted innocent dead.

Probably not. There's a difference between not caring about innocent people getting killed and wanting it. One is calless. The other is downright evil.

Let me clarify:

If someone you know, in person or online, is opposed to gay marriage or homosexuals, what do you feel is the best way to confront said person?

"You hateful horrible person! Why do do you disagree with me and everyone else, you are WRONG and you are a bad person for it!" (ok that was bit extreme, but illustrative purposes....)

or

"why do you feel that way, if I may ask? I would like to show you reasoning that will perhaps enlighten you so as to change your viewpoint without forcible or hostile means"

Now which example do you feel, will further reinforce the persons opposition to gays and gay marriage?

Of course, it's a no brainer, right? If you force someone to accept what you believe, they will naturally rebel and resist, it's human nature to do so!

I know this post is really patronizing, but...well tough cookies. It will hopefully set a standard in this thread so someone who is opposed to the subject matter will not get beaten over the head for having an opinion.

Last edited:
It's one thing as a teoretical proposition, as a matter of philosophy.

This isn't. This is hurting people, right now.

I have no problem working around reality to convince people (it's called persuation), but apart from that, I think you have to be very petty to want to restrict gay couples from getting married.

Just for the record, it is not called "marrige" in England but "a civil partnership", but the same registrar, goes through the same process as civil marriages between hetrosexual couples.

(What it is called in various places of worship which allow the service, I have no idea.)

Dont give a shit. If you're against same sex marriage, your a homophobe simple as that. It poses no threat to myself or society (anyone who says marriage is a pillar of civilization is fucking stupid) and should be allowed. I dont think churches have to perform rituals against their beliefs, but the states and federal gov. should fully recognize same sex couples with equal rights to heterosexual couples with no exceptions.

So if I read this correctly, being religious equals intolerance, unless there are some people, like me, who really doesn't care and does not feel it is an issue. Thanks for pigeonholing me, I really really appreciate it.
Also appreciate how in your quest to tear down beliefs you oppose, you make sure to stereotype and generalize, thus making you just as much the same as the people whom you feel are intolerant. No, don't get to know people on a one to one basis if they are religious, paint 'em with the broadest brush you have.

And who says it is just Christians who are opposed to gay marriage?

Well, I'm a Christian and an Ordained Minister (yes, I have performed several marriages) but I am not opposed to gay marriage.

While I can't say I completely understand it, but it's really none of my concern who wants to marry whom. And neither is it any of the governments business either.

On a personal and religious viewpoint: I still have no opposition to gay marriage. For me, you can't say that we are ALL God's children and we are ALL put on this Earth for a reason, and we are ALL made in Gods image....and then try and justify shutting out a group of people and denying them their basic right just because what they do in the bedroom makes you feel all weird.

Everyone gets freaky in the bedroom in their own way. Grow up and get over it. :)

- - - Updated - - -

To whoever voted that it's wrong but with no real reason why - please go die in a fire.

Actually..

It wasn't me that voted that way, but at least that person is being honest. For me, I have a gay uncle, 2 gay cousins and even my ex-father in law is gay. To me, It's always just been a part of life in my family even though I have to admit, it does make me feel a bit...off. And I have no idea why.

It was never looked at in my family as something bad, or good. It was just the way things were. So I never really thought anything of it. But when the issue of gay marriage really came out into the general light...a lot of people asked me this very same question.

And I have to admit that I just can't understand it, but I do understand that that does NOT give me the right to tell others how to live their lives.

I have been wondering why I feel like this, and I wonder if it's just a human thing that we tend to shy away from, or even fear a bit...the things we don't or can't understand. (damn that's a long sentence) Maybe that's why, maybe it's some other reason I'll never know.

But if someone is honest about how they feel, please don't automatically throw them under the bus. :)

I once talked at length about homosexuality with my granny. I know that's not the sort of thing you usually do with a woman born the same year as the great depression, but heck, I'm a curious guy and I'm facinated by days gone by.

What struck me is that she's got no problem with homosexuals. But what really got me isn't that she has no problem with people being gay.

What really got me was her mother. Her mother didn't mind either. I don't know when she was born, but I'm sure it was probably just before or just after 1900.

I just don't get how some people can be so far behind the modern world on this point. Sigh.

Lets face facts nomix you live in a very forward thinking society when it comes to personal sexual freedom. We have only made progress in this in the last 30 years, when I was a 20 yo being gay was something that should always be hidden and male homosexuals were prosecuted and gaoled. I am happy to say that that has not happened for a long time, and there have some very high profile homosexuals who have very successful careers - one of their big fears.

There was probably rather a lot of ignorance back then, when homosexuality was confused with paedofilia which of course is wrong in any and all cases.

/Edit btw Poll, way to go FG, what a tolerant bunch we are.

Last edited:
Still, we are talking the 1930s here. The thing that strikes me on homosexuality, is how it's made a problem. There's an old spy story about a Japanese diplomat in Moscow who was approached by the KGB sparrows, had sex with them and got filmed and photographed doing so. The KGB tried to blackmail him into giving them American defence details or whatnot, and told him they would send the photos to his wife and then his superiors if he didn't do as they told him.

So, the KGB got their secret documents and everybody went back happy. Right? Not right. He didn't give them anything, and he wanted copies of the photos. He said his wife would be very pleased to see he was still verile. And his superiors wouldn't care.

If that diplomat was from any other western country, the KGB would have gotten their way and a good spy in the deal.

The more moralistic our societies get, the more things there are for people to exploit to get their way. If society frowns on homosexuality (or makes it de facto illegal for some, as the US military did, and John McCain wanted to continue to do), it makes homosexuality another issue to blackmail over.

You know who stood beside Francois Mitterands widdow when they burried him? His two young lovers. And there was no animosity between the three either. It was completely public. No one cared.

Moralism just isn't good for a society. Gay bashing is making a problem out of something that isn't a problem.

There are people attempting to get state funding for a problem generation stimilus plan!

That's why I can't stand it.

Great quote, Jedd.

My issue is with those who hate gays (or any group of people for that matter) without any valid reason, I just cannot stand such bigotry.

Great quote, Jedd.

My issue is with those who hate gays (or any group of people for that matter) without any valid reason, I just cannot stand such bigotry.

To paraphrase Joe Rogan : Those people probably fear that dick is delicious.

Reactions: MWF
:lmao:

Gotta love the wisdom of Rogan. lol

It's the premise of the death penalty. If you accept that innocent people get convicted by proper courts of law, and they are, all the time, you have to accept that if there is a death penalty, innocent people will be killed in your name.
That's true. But believing that these errors of justice are a regrettable, but inevitable side-effect that is outweighed by the benefits of having the death penalty is still a more acceptable position than advertising vigilante justice against people who did not even break the law but just did something that goes against one's personal moral values, i.e. the tire iron example.

Last edited: