The General Flight Sim Thread

Strelok16

Car(s)
'69 Mustang project, '92 Buick Retiree-gal
...alternatively titled: The Aviation Thread [Entertainment Edition] :p

Anyway, I may be going out on a limb here, but I know there are at least a few other flight simmers here, but since there are so many different sims out there and seemingly only a few of us, we may all be flying different sims at any given time, making seperate threads for each one a bit silly. So I felt a general thread might be in order, especially so we don't have to use the Random Thoughts thread.

So yeah. anything flight sims in here. news, controllers, screens, etc... let's see if this works!

Well as I've mentioned in the RT thread, I've been mucking around a bit with Rise of Flight after learning of it through Strelok's post a few days ago. The first ever game I played was Red Baron 3D many years ago and I've always enjoyed learning about the technology and aerial combats of World War I.

I've really only concentrated on the training missions with the Spad, the flying model is very difficult to get a handle on. I expect if I was a trainee pilot back in WWI I would've killed myself in a training accident long before I got to the actual war! :p

MilViz F-86F is coming along nicely. Nocturnal lighting is a real barnburner.

Damn, I might just have to reinstall FSX for that when it's released, I've always had a thing for the F-86.

And yeah, RoF does have quite the steep learning curve... you should get to see full capabilities of the excellent damage modelling system after all! :p

Any flight sim aficionado needs to try out Digital Combat Simulator which features the famous Lock-On, Black Shark, A-10, and soon, P-51D.

Lock-On, even with updates (which includes a recent one to incorporate it fully with the other sims), is somewhat getting on in years, but I still prefer flying fighter jets in this over any other sim. They feel very wishy-washy in Xplane and FSX. Plus you get to actually fight with them.

DCS Black Shark is a god among men, even if that means the community for it is tiny. It is a very difficult sim to get into, and for good reason. It's based on the actual sim built to train Black Shark pilots and thus features a fully working cockpit, realistic startup and shut-down sequences, and arguably the best flight dynamics for any helicopter sim out there. It is simply a stunning sim to fly in once you get comfortable with it.

If anyone is looking for some high quality planes for FSX, might I suggest A2A Simulations. Something they have for their planes is called Accusim, it simulates pretty mught all the flight systems for getting a plane started and in the air. Fuel actually flows, air pressure needs to be built up, hydraulics and such. They only have a few planes with it, but I reckon they are the best planes available for FSX.

Well as I've mentioned in the RT thread, I've been mucking around a bit with Rise of Flight after learning of it through Strelok's post a few days ago. The first ever game I played was Red Baron 3D many years ago and I've always enjoyed learning about the technology and aerial combats of World War I.

I've really only concentrated on the training missions with the Spad, the flying model is very difficult to get a handle on. I expect if I was a trainee pilot back in WWI I would've killed myself in a training accident long before I got to the actual war! :p
Just downloaded it last night.

We should get a FinalGear crashing session dogfight going on the multiplayer! :lol:

I'm just downloading RoF now :D.

Would it be worth upgrading to the full version after i've tried the demo?

I'm not sure what they're including in the demo these days (I bought it way back when it was first released) but I do know you can get additional planes, maps, and other stuff without having to go for the full version upgrade. So you might try that if you're interested but still not quite sure about comitting to the full version. (or one of them anyway, I believe the most expensive upgrade option gets you all the planes)

And holy shitballs, I had no idea they were planning on taking the DCS series to WW2! I was paying only vague attention to it before, since the modern stuff makes me a bit bored tbh, but now... /me is interested

After a bit of testing and online multiplayer on RoF, I decided to take the plunge and buy the $75 one. I think it works out cheaper if you buy that rather than buying planes seperatly. I do like the game though, completely unique experience. I've never played a game set in WWI before. Flying at such a low speed requires alot of modification to my FSX WWII fighter contols :p.

Just downloaded it last night.

We should get a FinalGear crashing session dogfight going on the multiplayer! :lol:

Down for that :p

I'm thinking of registering over at New Wings, I reckon I need some help with how to chase down enemy planes and basically get good :p. Seems I might have to buy a mic though, which I dunno, I'm not a huge fan of doing, I always think people sound weird!

Loz said:
After a bit of testing and online multiplayer on RoF

What's the MP like? I havent dared go near an online server yet, though that'll be the aim eventually I guess, to go there and not totally humiliate myself.

Last edited:
And holy shitballs, I had no idea they were planning on taking the DCS series to WW2! I was paying only vague attention to it before, since the modern stuff makes me a bit bored tbh, but now... /me is interested

It won't be in WW2 I don't think - the plane has a HUD and a radar gunsight, so it must be at least somewhat modernized.

Wait, no it doesn't - apparently gyro gunsights complete with a head up display were used in WW2 on both the Spitfire and the Mustang. Damn, that's some secret squirrel space age shit.

Last edited:
What's the MP like? I havent dared go near an online server yet, though that'll be the aim eventually I guess, to go there and not totally humiliate myself.

The Multiplayer is pretty good. Quite a few modes like CTF, Deathmatch and a mission based one.

:wave:

DSC_3841.JPG

Last edited:
I used to review MSFS products for a small time online magazine. (Despite not really being qualified, and having no flight time). Was a fun get up, although I dropped out of FS a few years back. I'd like to get back into it, although I'm stilling sticking with FS2004, I have far too much money invested in that sim.

A2A Simulations have released a P-51 Mistang for FSX.

EDIT: my first Screenshot of the plane...

A2A Simulations North American P-51 Mustang at ORBX Pacific North West, Washington County, Oregon, USA

^ Click to Enlarge^

Last edited: