The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

^ so did my parents on Discovery Turbo Max (for Aussies who have foxtel). Ducati was on last night, dad enjoyed that ep.
Question to all americans though, do you all pronounce "Ducati" like Du-car-ti (with the a sounding like the letter r)? They did it on this show last night and on American Chopper (sorry). We pronounce it Du-cat-i (short a in the middle) over here and until recently that was the only way I had ever heard it said. I'm confused.

Forgot about this last night, saw a Triumph (didn't check what type) parked outside the motorbike show and coolant was absolutely spewing out of it onto the road. My dad thinks that somebody vandalised it somehow- why would somebody do that? it was a really nice bike too, looked so expensive. It wasn't there when we left, so they got it out of there somehow.

Everyone I know pronounces it this way. (bolded)

I think I see the problem.

Had the most epic motorcycle-related weekend :D

- went to Deus Ex machina (the custom bikes shop in Sydney) for their 10th birthday celebrations, got to see a heap of restored vintage bikes, got an awesome T-shirt (for christmas, so I can't wear it yet) and I met Charley Boorman! (yes, i am a big LWR/LWD fan, and he is pretty sure they will be doing another one)
- went to the Sydney motorbike show- got draggin jeans (for christmas again), sat on a Honda VTR 250 (the new one- I am in love <3), got some sunnies to go under my helmet and just saw some awesome bikes in general. Was a really great day and was only dampened by the over 40C heat.

Kind of reminds me that I should book my learners test soon :lol:

Charley! Awesome!

And seriously, I wish they brought the new VTR 250 to the US. It'll definitely broaden the market for the 250s since you can barely find parts for the old one now.

It'll definitely broaden the market for the 250s [...]

:( I want some nice 250s as well, dammit!
A small motorcycle mag you get for free at dealers, moto stores etc., 'round here ran an article in its last issue about 250s sold in other countries that you might be able to import yourself, because the officially avaible selection is that poor in Germany. :|

Had the most epic motorcycle-related weekend :D

- went to Deus Ex machina (the custom bikes shop in Sydney) for their 10th birthday celebrations, got to see a heap of restored vintage bikes, got an awesome T-shirt (for christmas, so I can't wear it yet) and I met Charley Boorman! (yes, i am a big LWR/LWD fan, and he is pretty sure they will be doing another one)
- went to the Sydney motorbike show- got draggin jeans (for christmas again), sat on a Honda VTR 250 (the new one- I am in love <3), got some sunnies to go under my helmet and just saw some awesome bikes in general. Was a really great day and was only dampened by the over 40C heat.

Kind of reminds me that I should book my learners test soon :lol:

I need to move to Australia.

(Not that I needed a reason to before, anyway. :D)

Everyone I know pronounces it this way. (bolded)

I think I see the problem.

Yeah, one of the guys who sold mydad his Ducati was American and he pronounced it with the short "a"- must be a regional thing.

And yeah on the Triumph thing, my mum was talking about one of her friend's husbands the other day and how the engine in his Triumph has blown up twice now. He's forgoing getting it repaired again and is buying a Harley with the insurance money and the money he will get from Triumph (who are buying it back from him). Will have to ask mum what type of triumph it was, I've forgotten :S

I need to move to Australia.

(Not that I needed a reason to before, anyway. :D)

It was brilliant, it was basically a dream come true- hundreds of people coming together to celebrate their love and passion for good motorbikes. I know that sounds cliched and corny, but it was just brilliant. We were all just milling around in the side streets of Sydney checking out each other's bikes and tlking about the motorbike show.

And if you like boiling hot weather, you will be fine over here :lol: Mind you, it was pretty chilly yesterday :blink:

Charley! Awesome!

And seriously, I wish they brought the new VTR 250 to the US. It'll definitely broaden the market for the 250s since you can barely find parts for the old one now.

I will get the pics off my phone soon, yes I got a photo with him :lol:

And (don't quote me on this) I think this is the first time the VTR 250 has been properly brought to Australia, although quite a few people own grey imports from japan. I talked to the guy at the Honda stand, and he said they are expecting to sell quite a few of them and that 5 people had already asked to buy the one on display over the two days.

Don't think I will be getting one for a while though, I'll probably do what my mum did and do all my learner's stuff on the scooter and then progress to a bike when I'm not restricted anymore.

He's forgoing getting it repaired again and is buying a Harley with the insurance money and the money he will get from Triumph (who are buying it back from him).

That, right there, is a true tragedy of such magnitude that it is without a shadow of a doubt worthy of being retold in a monumental, dramatic movie. :cry:

^ :lol:

As much as Honda pissed me off, I still love their motorcycles. I have only owned Hondas and I've never had a breakdown. Ever.

Enjoy that Hardley, sucker.

Exactly. His Triumph blows up and he buys a Harley?!

:lmao:

^ Hmm... maybe Columbia wasn't such a peaceful place to vacation. Let's try Gaza instead.

I use one of those streamers as a keychain which really doesn't make any sense because if I removed the key before setting off I'd never get anywhere.

219413075-M.jpg

:cool:

Is that the new VFR1200?

Sorry for the lateness of the pics, I haven't been able to get onto my computer for 2 days :(

Me waiting in line to see Charley- very excited as you can see:
boorman3.jpg

The man himself, signing books and having a good chat with people- he was really nice to everybody!
boorman2.jpg

Getting my book signed, unfortunately I didn't think of any decent questions to ask him about his trips :(
boorman4.jpg

Obligatory fan picture :lol:
boorman1.jpg

Finally, me falling in love with the VTR 250 the next day :D
VTR.jpg

Sorry for the interruption, continue on with regular motorcycle talk now :D

^That's a nice looking bike(and rider), I wish they were available in th states.

Redhead alert!

*swoons* Awesome!

... hm, I didn't know whether I swooned at Charley or the new VTR 250 <_< :D

Sorry, Blind: turns out, the new VFR1200F kinda sucks.

Honda_VFR1200F22_0.jpg

Heavy, boring, crappy range, not a very good sport tourer or superbike. Looks like it would make for a badass cop bike, maybe, but it's not as good as the VFR800, apparently.

Not as good as which VFR800? Some VFR800s are superior to others *cough*5thgen*cough* :cool:

I have heard that, for what it is, it's actually quite good. Honda has said that this is just the first of a new series of V4 powered motorcycles, so hopefully we will see a new and improved VFR800 that is more sporty (and bring back gear-driven cams, goddammit!). With any luck, and if Honda Motorcycles pulls their heads out of their asses, we will see a real fire-breathing VFR soon.