The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Me too!

I just got back into the game and purchased a 2007 Honda XR650L. My biggest problem is finding a decently rated helmet that's no-where-near $400. Anyone have suggestions?

I've been looking at full-face with goggles or should I go with ones with a plastic shield due to my prescription glasses?

While I can't comment much on the whole dual-sport helmet thing, I can tell you a good brand. HJC makes decently-priced helmets with fair build quality, most of them meet the Snell approval, You may want to give the HJC SP-X model a try.
2008_HJC_SPX_Solid_Helmet.jpg

Sorry, but I didn't have any luck finding those dual-sport helmets with the face shield you mentioned, that would fit your budget.

Both, it is a dual purpose bike.

One of the guys I know that has that crappy helmet(freind of a freind) told me his daughter dropped the helmet down the basement stairs and it chipped when it hit the wall. He bought a new helmet because the manufacturer won't honor the warrenty because it happened outside of the normal spectrum of use. :blink:

Both, it is a dual purpose bike.

Yes, I know that, I was asking whether he wanted an on-road or off-road oriented helmet as off-road helmets are noisy as hell on the street, not to mention generally uncomfortable at highway speeds.

As always, Motorcycle Closeouts, Motorcycle Superstore, and New Enough are the best options in the States. Here is an on-road helmet that is highly regarded, but since it's last year's paint scheme it's on deep, deep closeout: http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/bargain_basement/hjc/cl_sp_barbwire_motorcycle_helmet.html

One of the guys I know that has that crappy helmet(freind of a freind) told me his daughter dropped the helmet down the basement stairs and it chipped when it hit the wall. He bought a new helmet because the manufacturer won't honor the warrenty because it happened outside of the normal spectrum of use. :blink:

NO helmet manufacturer will warrant damage resulting from a drop. Helmets are made of polystyrene (their energy absorbing core) and do not like being dropped. This is normal procedure, so I wouldn't call it a crappy helmet because of it. If you read the manual for any Snell-rated helmet on the market today, they tell you over and over and over to be careful and not to drop the helmet.

Last edited:
I have never had to shop for a melon protector... untill meow.

I have never had to shop for a melon protector... untill meow.

While I can't comment much on the whole dual-sport helmet thing, I can tell you a good brand. HJC makes decently-priced helmets with fair build quality, most of them meet the Snell approval, You may want to give the HJC SP-X model a try.
[Image of helmet]
Sorry, but I didn't have any luck finding those dual-sport helmets with the face shield you mentioned, that would fit your budget.

It looks nice for just off-road. Does anyone have a some others that I should consider?

Yes, I know that, I was asking whether he wanted an on-road or off-road oriented helmet as off-road helmets are noisy as hell on the street, not to mention generally uncomfortable at highway speeds.

I was looking for some compromise but more and more it looks like I should just buy two helmets; Kind of defeats the purpose of a dual-sport for me, but possibly for the best on cold mornings to work.

As always, Motorcycle Closeouts, Motorcycle Superstore, and New Enough are the best options in the States. Here is an on-road helmet that is highly regarded, but since it's last year's paint scheme it's on deep, deep closeout: http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/bargain_basement/hjc/cl_sp_barbwire_motorcycle_helmet.html

So from the looks of what you posted, the old adage of, 'You get what you pay for,' wouldn't be true with helmets? Or are you just avoiding any 'newer' features or items that will raise the price. Anything I should be looking for besides being SNELL tested?

Also, if I happen to think that a design or color on a helmet doesn't quiet go with my bike or me, how much effort would I have to put into re-painting a helmet? Would I just be better off looking for a different one?

Well, not so much. The CL-SP is a nice, quiet helmet much liked by reviewers and users (I have one) that normally stickers out for between $150 and $250. On closeout the price drops a lot, and on final closeout, they are a screaming deal.

Review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/cl-sp/ (I had nothing to do with the review.)

If you don't like the design or color scheme, it's not recommended that you paint the helmet as the solvents can mess up the polystyrene. However, there are special helmet paints that will work just fine... but at that price, do you really care?

Also, the CL-SP is very likely to be replaced by a newer model, as the related CL-15 has just been replaced by the CL-16. And it should be mentioned that Ben Spies the current World Superbike champ, wears an HJC when he races, so it's not like the brand or their products are crap, either.

If you want maximum safety protection, Snell just released the M2010 standard (they seem to update about every 2-5 years) and the HJC CL-16 is compliant. It's about $150 and available at the usual suspects. Read this for more info: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/cl-16/ IMHO, the Snell M2010 standard is an incremental improvement and not all that much different from the 2005 spec.

Edit: If the CL-SP color schemes at New Enough aren't your speed, you can get a solid color one on closeout at your local Tucker-Rocky-affiliated independent bike shop for $79-89. I believe that CrazyJeeper got a white one, perhaps he'll post what he thinks of his.

Last edited:
I was looking for some compromise but more and more it looks like I should just buy two helmets; Kind of defeats the purpose of a dual-sport for me, but possibly for the best on cold mornings to work.

If you really want the best of both, consider the Shoei Hornet DS. Yes, it is very expensive, but every review I've read praised it for being great on and off the road (on the same level as dedicated helmets for each situation).

Besides that though, are you really sure that you need two dedicated helmets? How often do you go offroading? 'Cause my suggestion would be to just get a road helmet for the time being, and then use it some time and see if you really have the need for another one.

:thumbsup:

Speaking of awesome...

Those worried about being ribbed while on their scooter needs one of these...

vespa_militaire_tap.jpg

Supposedly the world's largest single cylinder bike...

nsu-motorcycle-2.jpg

nsu-motorcycle.jpg

And this, well it's different and that gives it points in my book...

yuri_shif_custom.jpg

All taken from here.

Oh, and I posted this in the awesome thread, shirt, tie, cardigan? Fuck yeah.

1272678749110.jpg

EDIT:

Bought this in XL based on your reviews: http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+deals/special+promotions2/hjc_cl-sp+osiris+helmet
Looks good enough for now but I will still look for some goggles and an off-road helmet.

Well, not so much. The CL-SP is a nice, quiet helmet much liked by reviewers and users (I have one) that normally stickers out for between $150 and $250. On closeout the price drops a lot, and on final closeout, they are a screaming deal.

Review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/cl-sp/ (I had nothing to do with the review.)

Well, I know you have good taste in products, so I have no problem on what ever you recommend based on quality. *Nissan and Honda in Spectre's signature* My biggest problem is finding anything not sold out in Large or XL that looks credible. -I'm leaning towards XL.

If you don't like the design or color scheme, it's not recommended that you paint the helmet as the solvents can mess up the polystyrene. However, there are special helmet paints that will work just fine... but at that price, do you really care?

Kinda' thought so and probably not worth the price to paint it either.

Also, the CL-SP is very likely to be replaced by a newer model, as the related CL-15 has just been replaced by the CL-16. And it should be mentioned that Ben Spies the current World Superbike champ, wears an HJC when he races, so it's not like the brand or their products are crap, either.

If you want maximum safety protection, Snell just released the M2010 standard (they seem to update about every 2-5 years) and the HJC CL-16 is compliant. It's about $150 and available at the usual suspects. Read this for more info: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/cl-16/ IMHO, the Snell M2010 standard is an incremental improvement and not all that much different from the 2005 spec.

I won't be going 150 MPH on my bike ever so I won't be needing top of the line but 55 MPH is still no joke if a crash happens. Plus my melon has gotten knocked around a few times. ;)

Edit: If the CL-SP color schemes at New Enough aren't your speed, you can get a solid color one on closeout at your local Tucker-Rocky-affiliated independent bike shop for $79-89. I believe that CrazyJeeper got a white one, perhaps he'll post what he thinks of his.

I don't have anything but a lazy Honda dealer and a Harley not too far so it looks more like an online transaction for almost all my bike needs.

If you really want the best of both, consider the Shoei Hornet DS. Yes, it is very expensive, but every review I've read praised it for being great on and off the road (on the same level as dedicated helmets for each situation).

I was looking into that helmet but that price continually just makes me steer away from it. The lowest I've found it for was $370.

Besides that though, are you really sure that you need two dedicated helmets? How often do you go offroading? 'Cause my suggestion would be to just get a road helmet for the time being, and then use it some time and see if you really have the need for another one.

Well, I will be going offroading today for the first time with this bike and plan on once a month with ATV or dirt bike owners so it seems needed. I bought the bike exactly for what I believe it was intended: Drive to a site and drive offroad just as-is and laugh at others unloading. :p

Last edited:
My biggest problem is finding anything not sold out in Large or XL that looks credible. -I'm leaning towards XL.

Just be sure to check if it really fits properly once you got it - remember, helmets are supposed to be a snug fit. http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/helmet_CSI.pdf
The labeled helmet size can differ considerably between different manufacturers, and often even models from one company, so they're always to be taken with a grain of salt.

Most importantly though, have fun riding!

I would suggest that you also get this, as it makes the helmet even more quiet: http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/helmet+parts/hjc_chin+curtain+for+cl-15+and+cl-sp+helmets

Just be sure to check if it really fits properly once you got it - remember, helmets are supposed to be a snug fit. http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/helmet_CSI.pdf
The labeled helmet size can differ considerably between different manufacturers, and often even models from one company, so they're always to be taken with a grain of salt.

Most importantly though, have fun riding!

I second this, make sure it fits properly when you get it.

That looks deliciously campy.

*checks Netflix*

Found a French film called "Girl on a Motorcycle" I wonder if that's it.

a VERY close call! :eek:

I had a scare the other day, you really need to be careful.
I'm getting new rubber next week, Michelin Pilot Road 2. And I'm going to Slovenia to get it.
No, not because I like Ice, the prices are lower, so it pays out :)

Can't wait, the ones I've got now are rock hard and worn out.