The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Well, I found the time and got down to the DPS today and got my M endorsement, so once the 'ceptor is done on saturday night, I can legally operate it on the road :D

Oh, and I also finally told my mom. :lol:

loikka.jpg

Someone's testing the new Multistrada today... :whistle:

I think his Christmas came early this year.

Someone's testing the new Multistrada today... :whistle:

I think his Christmas came early this year.

Lucky bastard. :p

Yeah seriously - I'm at work going ":cry:"

Oh well, I'm excited to hear about it. It's been a while since we saw the Duc truck - luckily, Salt Lake Motorsports in town is pretty awesome. :D

Speaking of which, Bayliss pulled 1:51.9 (dry) at Mugello on the Ducati 1198...

bayliss_mugello.jpg

So, just as I have the 700 back in service, we get rain. And more rain. And it's supposed to rain most of next week.

Figures, right?

okay. it has been at least, i don't know some months since i last posted in this thread.:blink:
and spending the whole day going through this thread till where i first posted, caught a lot of information in here about bikes which i didn't know, and some i still don't understand.
i just guess i'll browse around still since i want to know more about bikes.

although what i have gathered at the moment is that gear will be important when i want to learn how to ride a (motor)bike, and that storage space can always be compensated by bungee cords/top boxes (i don't like top boxes for some reason, i prefer side bags, or as BMW likes to call them, panel boxes/bags).

and i was thinking, are there other bikes other than bmw that have panel bags? i know honda has one..? for the CBR250 is it? :? also, anyone from australia can chime in some approximation costs for learning how to ride a bike? i saw the learning center info on the honda website only at the moment...or should i go back to hong kong to learn?

and i'm only asking at the moment, i don't think i will be able to learn how to ride anytime soon, as i'm relying on public transport and despite getting my hong kong license, i haven't got my australian driving license yet, so i'm not intending to learn how to ride anytime soon...(damn repeated myself so many times.<_<)

and i was thinking, are there other bikes other than bmw that have panel bags?

A few manufacturers have panniers as optional extras for some models, but there are tons of aftermarket companies offering mounting points and cases for pretty much every bike out there.

although what i have gathered at the moment is that gear will be important when i want to learn how to ride a (motor)bike, and that storage space can always be compensated by bungee cords/top boxes (i don't like top boxes for some reason, i prefer side bags, or as BMW likes to call them, panel boxes/bags).

and i was thinking, are there other bikes other than bmw that have panel bags? i know honda has one..? for the CBR250 is it? :?

I'm not a huge fan of top boxes or tail bags myself; I prefer having cargo mass carried as low as possible so as to influence handling as little as possible. I do use a small tank bag, just large enough to hold my iPhone or iPod, my McCuff tank adapter, a RFID transponder for the local toll roads, and a few bucks for emergencies - however, that's next to no mass carried up top so it's okay.

Saddlebags, even hard-shelled ones like you refer to on the BMWs, can be found on many other motorcycles; however, they tend to be factory-installed only on larger touring/sport-touring/adventure-touring machines. That said, manufacturers like Givi and others make hard bag kits that can be installed on most any popular motorcycle. Others such as National Cycle make kits that fit a few specific models. More general information on hard bags and saddlebags in general can be found here.

As for what exactly I use, if you want a data point for future reference, the CB700SC is currently kitted out with a a Cortech Super Mini Tank Bag (filled as noted above) and a pair of now-discontinued Fieldsheer Compact Saddlebags (soft). These are adaptable to any motorcycle and tend to be a little more flexible in use than the hard shelled counterparts.

IMG_4886.JPG

My Honda Pacific Coast isn't currently running, but it's got a scooter-esque trunk out back; therefore bags are pretty much irrelevant for that bike.

Last edited:
cool, thanks for the info. will digest through them (after assignments). thanks once again.

Ghost Rider I am not, but I got one of those little keychain cameras everyone's going nuts over and decided to see how well it does as a bike cam.

It was a bit of a gusty day, so lane discipline wasn't all it could have been. Camera was mounted to the lid of the brake master cylinder; seemed to work fine there. Yes, the date/timestamp is incorrect, I need to fix that.

Edit: As of this posting, YouTube says that the video is being processed so the quality isn't great right now. The processing is complete and the annotations have been duly added.

Last edited:
Well, I found the time and got down to the DPS today and got my M endorsement, so once the 'ceptor is done on saturday night, I can legally operate it on the road :D

Oh, and I also finally told my mom. :lol:

I already told my mum that as soon as I can afford it I'm buying a motorbike, and that there's nothing she can do to stop me :lol:

Spectre, you mean a GoPro?

I went to get that scooter/moped thingy. It was utter fail and made in China. It got dropped at some point with 2 different mirrors, badly scraped up plastic, and the box on the back was just hanging on. Fortunately my Dad's Friend has grandkids that seem to want to ride it. We made a deal and I gave the money back to my Dad and bought an Orange Crush for the drive home.