The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Had my first off-road experience today, mid corner a SUV started pulling out, I hit the brakes a little too hard and sort of eased off the road. Ran through a ditch and managed to miss a road sign. Kept on the throttle on slightly, it was sketchy, I thought I was gonna go down but I managed to hold it up. Really nothing like dirtbiking, it's scary when your back tire is hopping off the ground and the bike is wobbling back and forth. Not a scratch, balls hurt though.

Last edited:
Whew!
Good to hear you?re unhurt.

Had my first off-road experience today, mid corner a SUV started pulling out, I hit the brakes a little too hard and sort of eased off the road. Ran through a ditch and managed to miss a road sign. Kept on the throttle on slightly, it was sketchy, I thought I was gonna go down but I managed to hold it up. Really nothing like dirtbiking, it's scary when your back tire is hopping off the ground and the bike is wobbling back and forth. Not a scratch, balls hurt though.

Street tires do not enjoy going offroad. :p

That said, your, um, testicular injury is not uncommon. There's been debate for a number of years regarding the utility of wearing a cup or jock strap on the street.

Remember the video of a cop jumping out of an unmarked car with his gun drawn over a speeding motorcycle? Here is the rest of the story.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-recorded-traffic-stop-20100927,0,3220573.story

Judge says man within rights to record police traffic stop
Charges alleging wire tap violation thrown out

In a decision that could make it easier for citizens to record police officers in Maryland, a Harford County judge ruled Monday that state police and prosecutors were wrong to arrest and charge a man for taping his own traffic stop and posting it on the Internet.

Circuit Court Judge Emory A. Plitt Jr.'s ruling helps clarify the state's wire tap law and makes it clear that police officers enjoy little expectation of privacy as they perform their duties.

"Those of us who are public officials and are entrusted with the power of the state are ultimately accountable to the public," Plitt wrote. "When we exercise that power in a public forum, we should not expect our activity to be shielded from public scrutiny."

Plitt threw out four counts of the grand jury indictment against Anthony Graber dealing with the recordings he made with a helmet-mounted camera and posted to YouTube after he was stopped by a trooper in an unmarked car on an Interstate 95 off-ramp in March.

"This is one of the best days in my life that I've ever had," Graber said Monday evening. "It's such a huge relief, I can't even explain." The judge left intact only traffic violations that include speeding and reckless and negligent driving.

Plitt cited the videotaped recording of the Rodney King beating in Los Angeles and the explosion of "rapid fire information technology" to note that virtually anyone in a public place should expect their actions could be recorded and broadcast.

The judge wrote that Graber's encounter "took place on a public highway in full view of the public. Under such circumstances, I cannot, by any stretch, conclude that the troopers had any reasonable expectation of privacy in their conversation with the defendant which society would be prepared to recognize as reasonable."

The case was being closely watched to determine the limits of the state's wire tap law, which critics contend was written decades before video cameras fit inside cell phones ? even before cell phones ? and was designed to prevent people from breaking into phone lines and secretly recording conversations.

Plitt "makes it crystal clear that the conduct Anthony engaged in was not and could not be a crime," said David Rocah, a staff attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union in Maryland, which defended Graber in court.

"I think it means that police officers around the state are on notice that it simply is not a crime to tape a police officer or any other public official engaged in the public performance of their duties," Rocah said.

But Harford County State's Attorney Joseph I. Cassilly said the ruling "will make it more difficult for the police to do their jobs" and warned that people armed with cameras might soon point their lenses at car accident scenes "and eavesdrop as police take medical history" from patients. Cassilly could appeal, but said on Monday that he had not yet read the judge's ruling.

The video that Graber posted online showing the plainclothes trooper, J.D. Uhler, jumping from his sedan with his gun drawn quickly became a Web sensation. The trooper had pursued Graber, alleging he was recklessly speeding on the highway and passing cars on one wheel.

Uhler issued the 24-year-old Maryland Air National Guard sergeant several traffic citations and let him go. But after Graber posted the video, troopers obtained a warrant, raided Graber's Abingdon house and seized his equipment.

If he had been convicted, Graber faced 16 years in prison, the loss of his job as a consultant for a defense contractor and his government security clearance.

Hours after the ruling, Graber said that it was "very unfortunate that I had to go through all this." He did not dispute he was driving fast on his 2008 Honda CR-V motorcycle while testing the $300 helmet cam he had just purchased. But he denied accusations from prosecutors that he purposely goaded police to pull him over so he could record the confrontation.

"How could I entice a police officer to pull me over when he was undercover and in plainclothes?" Graber said. "I wasn't trying to record myself doing anything illegal."

Graber said he has since sold the motorcycle for $5,000, far less than the $10,500 he says he paid for it a year earlier. He said he still owed several thousand dollars on the bike but took the loss. "I don't want to ever have a motorcycle again," he said.

Police officers throughout Maryland have cited the law to seize cameras of people at crime scenes or those who are recording their activities. A Baltimore police officer at the Preakness last year sternly told an amateur cameraman to stop recording the arrest of a woman, telling him, "It's illegal to record anybody's voice or anything else in the state of Maryland."

THere is another page if you click the link, but that is the bulk of the story.

Last edited:
Street tires do not enjoy going offroad. :p

That said, your, um, testicular injury is not uncommon. There's been debate for a number of years regarding the utility of wearing a cup or jock strap on the street.

"Crushed balls syndrome" is one of the most common complaints I hear about Ducati's from their owners :lol:

Aaaah, one of the wonders of being female! :p

(Speaking of tyres, got a new rear one on the scooter today- million times better than the crap that was on there previously- good tread for the wet!)

"Crushed balls syndrome" is one of the most common complaints I hear about Ducati's from their owners :lol:

Aaaah, one of the wonders of being female! :p

Yes, but apparently some of you ladies can experience the corresponding physical wonder known as 'boob slap' which I am told isn't much fun either. :p Supposedly quite distracting even to the possessor of said anatomy.

Somehow I suspect "boob slap" isn't quite as painful as "crushed balls syndrome". Admittedly, I've never experienced specifically boob slap, but the parts seem to generate less pain when struck.

Since I don't currently know anyone possessing both anatomical structures (used to know someone, but not any more), I think we'll just have to leave that as a relative measure. :p

I watched the whole thing. I love how he just throws the keys casually on the table. :lol:

Also, I'm now on eBay scouring for Nortons.

Yes, but apparently some of you ladies can experience the corresponding physical wonder known as 'boob slap' which I am told isn't much fun either. :p Supposedly quite distracting even to the possessor of said anatomy.

I dount I would ever phsyically be able to experience that without cosmetic augmentation :lol:

It's raining like crazy here, but my bike is still imaginary, so I can ride it comfortably regardless of weather.

Hmm, it's not too bad though - I've only had it when I was, erm, in an "interesting position" on the 880 back in the SF Bay Area. The freeway is so bad that it's considered a goat road by BARFers (thanks CalTrans!:mad:) due to all the potholes, sudden drops etc. The only other time I can think of the 'boob slap' happening is during TOT - tits on tank maneuver. :)

This article contains two things I love most in life, burritos and motorcycles:

We'll start at the beginning for this one. There is a certain ballet that one performs at the food window of a fast food restaurant. you pass a ten dollar bill to the kid in the window as he hands you your 32oz Baja Blast. You put the sticky cup in the cupholder and attempt to put the straw in the top before. . . Ahh Shit, he's already holding your change (more than $3 if you're skinny, less than $3 if you're fat. You've really got a problem if the kid is holding out and empty hand asking for the rest of the money.). You toss the straw on the passenger seat and grab the change. You try to jam the money in your wallet before the. . . shit, a bag of five burritos is hanging outside your window. The money is jammed in the wallet before the coins and the wallet are tossed on the passenger seat. It isn't until you're waiting at the light outside Taco Bell that you're finally able to put the straw in your Baja Blast.

Now let's try to do this on a motorcycle. To perform this particular dance, the ballerina (you, on a motorcycle) will require one tool: a roll of duct tape. When the window kid hands you your Baja Blast, set the cup on your gas tank and unroll an eighteen inch strip of duct tape. Wrap the end of the tape once around the bottom of the cup making a lasso shape. Secure the long end of the tape to the side of the tank. At this point, the kid in the window will have been holding your change out the window for about 20 seconds and he will be visibly upset. Say, "Hey, I'm on a fucking bike." Take the change, ask for an extra straw, and put the change in your mouth for now. Lasso the cup once more and tape the other side of the tank. Place the straw in the cup. Pinch the end of the extra straw and insert it into the end of the first straw.

http://jalopnik.com/5653895/how-to-eat-a-burrito-while-popping-a-wheelie